XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-24-2018, 10:17 AM   #89
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskmaster View Post
If any other car maker did it, we would be screaming how cheap it looked.

Utilitarian.

Looks cheap and incomplete.
It looks stupid too. I'm not sure what the nighttime version of the the screen looks like, but out in my neck of the woods (for real), where you need as minimal light pollution from the dash lighting as possible to see critters in the road, that big-ass tablet would blind you. Have there been any comments on how sun glare affects the laptop? How does it refect off the windshield and windows in the evening? Any Testla-loving owner will probably not be honest about the reflectivity of the giant telescreen. Maybe Dallas Cowboys fans like it though.

Hidious.
Appreciate 1
Taskmaster2463.00
      07-24-2018, 10:57 AM   #90
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

I like the inside. Plastics, controls and switchgear seem to be on par with current BMW and MB products and only lag Audi. The screen at least appears to be from this decade. I'm always amazed at how our two year old F30 appears to have a screen from a Commodore 64.

But I am a Cowboy fan, so take that into consideration.

The outside is awful. Like a Model S that was pushed front to back and got shorter but taller.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 11:03 AM   #91
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
I don't understand how someone could love that interior...
Appreciate 2
      07-24-2018, 11:44 AM   #92
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
I don't understand how someone could love that interior...
Love is certainly overselling it, but it's functional and clean. It absolutely needs a HUD, but that's all I'd really change.

Too many cars, like the last gen Porsche are just littered with buttons, dials and such that unless you own the car and drive it daily, you'll never sort out what's where.

Now I will say that one real weakness of any Tesla is the lack of support for Apple CarPlay. I've gotten used to it in both of our cars and would strongly dislike moving to a car without it.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 12:45 PM   #93
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Love is certainly overselling it, but it's functional and clean. It absolutely needs a HUD, but that's all I'd really change.

Too many cars, like the last gen Porsche are just littered with buttons, dials and such that unless you own the car and drive it daily, you'll never sort out what's where.

Now I will say that one real weakness of any Tesla is the lack of support for Apple CarPlay. I've gotten used to it in both of our cars and would strongly dislike moving to a car without it.
But don't most people own a car and drive it daily? Cadillac constantly gets criticized for its CUE, but go on the Cadillac forums and the general consensus is once the system is learned, it's considered pretty good by Cadillac owners.
Appreciate 1
Taskmaster2463.00
      07-24-2018, 12:59 PM   #94
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Quote:

Now I will say that one real weakness of any Tesla is the lack of support for Apple Play. I've gotten used to it in both of our cars and would strongly dislike moving to a car without it.
But don't most people own a car and drive it daily? Cadillac constantly gets criticized for its CUE, but go on the Cadillac forums and the general consensus is once the system is learned, it's considered pretty good by Cadillac owners.
I drive my wife's car about two or three times a month. She can't drive mine, as it has three pedals.

Here's a great example, BMW decided to make you press the power button twice to fully shutoff the car. We've had this thing two plus years and I probably get it wrong three out of four times. I'm lobbying for anything other than a BMW/Mini because of this stupidity.

And Cue sucks. So do their engines and transmissions. Oh, and the ATS-V cluster. Great chassis in need of everything else.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 01:00 PM   #95
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
I like the inside. Plastics, controls and switchgear seem to be on par with current BMW and MB products and only lag Audi. The screen at least appears to be from this decade. I'm always amazed at how our two year old F30 appears to have a screen from a Commodore 64.

The outside is awful. Like a Model S that was pushed front to back and got shorter but taller.
That interior and the materials looks pretty trash to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 01:01 PM   #96
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That interior and the materials looks pretty trash to be honest.
Are you saying they look and feel worse than a comparable F30, or just throwing out wild generalizations?

From the few Model 3's I've been in, I will say that panel gap and alignment is certainly sub standard, but the actual quality of plastics, leather, wood and carpeting seem on par or slightly nicer than what MB and BMW use on the C and 3er.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 01:38 PM   #97
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I drive my wife's car about two or three times a month. She can't drive mine, as it has three pedals.

Here's a great example, BMW decided to make you press the power button twice to fully shutoff the car. We've had this thing two plus years and I probably get it wrong three out of four times. I'm lobbying for anything other than a BMW/Mini because of this stupidity.

And Cue sucks. So do their engines and transmissions. Oh, and the ATS-V cluster. Great chassis in need of everything else.
LOL about Cadillac comments. The cars are better driver's cars than current BMWs so you shit on them based on what is published in magazines.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 01:53 PM   #98
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

LOL about Cadillac comments. The cars are better driver's cars than current BMWs so you shit on them based on what is published in magazines.
Easy sparky, you may have noticed that I praised the chassis. I just hate the manual and the gauges in the ATS-V. Plus the motor is as lifeless as most current turbo motors.

I don't like our F30 either. I've driven both extensively as we own one and a friend had the ATS-V.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 01:59 PM   #99
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Easy sparky, you may have noticed that I praised the chassis. I just hate the manual and the gauges in the ATS-V. Plus the motor is as lifeless as most current turbo motors.

I don't like our F30 either. I've driven both extensively as we own one and a friend had the ATS-V.
But you like the smudgy piece of shit IPad Screen that requires you to adapt to the car and press through menus to do simple tasks.

Ok.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 02:01 PM   #100
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
But you like the smudgy piece of shit IPad Screen that requires you to adapt to the car and press through menus to do simple tasks.

Ok.
Yep, and I prefer touch screens to stupid wheels. Even Audi has made this change, which likely signals the H series BMW's is will follow along, or even the G LCI's.

If you've actually used CUE and the latest MMI, you'd understand. The Tesla interface is somewhere in between but closer to Audi.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 02:09 PM   #101
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Yep, and I prefer touch screens to stupid wheels. Even Audi has made this change, which likely signals the H series BMW's is will follow along, or even the G LCI's.

If you've actually used CUE and the latest MMI, you'd understand. The Tesla interface is somewhere in between but closer to Audi.
Except the whole car is the screen. There are no switchs knobs or gauges for anything. It's a fucking mess.
Appreciate 2
      07-24-2018, 04:03 PM   #102
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
That interior is simply not befitting a car that is $50-70k... and I love minimalist design. Cheap looking materials + minimalist design just doesn't separate me from my money.
      07-24-2018, 05:52 PM   #103
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

What if they installed a bunch of knobs and buttons that don’t do anything? Would that satisfy your interior demands?
Appreciate 2
Red Bread4462.00
chris82824.00
      07-24-2018, 07:59 PM   #104
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
What if they installed a bunch of knobs and buttons that don’t do anything? Would that satisfy your interior demands?
Maybe a few blank switches to remind you that you're a cheap bastard? Mix in some goofy things like "coolant gauges" that just read one temp and don't actually display a temperature, even when you have an actual thermostat.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 08:30 PM   #105
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Or we can just have a giant IPad, and and chitzy looking dash and call it an interior.

Why have a glove compartment handle and button to open it, when you can shift through 3 menus to open it.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16870.00
      07-25-2018, 05:31 AM   #106
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Alright, fair enough. A lot of BMW fan boys dis the Caddy just because it's GM and not German. Most all have never driven an ATS. Until BMW comes back out with a NA I6, they are not getting my money for a new car. Cadillac's mistake was not offering the 3.6L with a manual trans IMO.

Peace.

Sparky
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4462.00
      07-25-2018, 05:34 AM   #107
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

I'd love to see an IIHS crash test of the Model 3. I can see instances of serious hand damage due to the proximity of the screen to the steering wheel.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 05:53 AM   #108
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Maybe a few blank switches to remind you that you're a cheap bastard? Mix in some goofy things like "coolant gauges" that just read one temp and don't actually display a temperature, even when you have an actual thermostat.
My E30 had 3 blank switch panels. I used one to graft in a female RJ11 jack for my Valentine One. I used the other to install a red blinking LED for my fake alarm system. Blank switch plates do come in handy
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 06:38 AM   #109
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
My E30 had 3 blank switch panels. I used one to graft in a female RJ11 jack for my Valentine One. I used the other to install a red blinking LED for my fake alarm system. Blank switch plates do come in handy
What are you doing with the dummy coolant gauge? Maybe plumb in an oil temp sensor since the N52 skimped on that too?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 07:09 AM   #110
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What are you doing with the dummy coolant gauge? Maybe plumb in an oil temp sensor since the N52 skimped on that too?
I think not having a coolant temp gauge on the E90 was an oversight on BMW's part based on how the coolant pump goes tits up without warning. I always figured it was a real estate problem because of the stupid iDrive crap. My understanding is the engine temp on the N52 varies quite a bit based on engine load and one of the reasons the gauge was not included was the point that customers may think something was wrong with the engine; but my Z4 has an N52 with a water temp gauge and stays steady on center, so who knows. Having been the first to discover there were water pump trouble codes way back in May 2011, I posted back then that BMW should have made a warning light for the pump failing. I think it is totally stupid to design a water pump that has no outward indication it is failing. Over temp warnings of... Yellow... Red... BAM!!! overheat. Utter BS.

Never been concerned with having an actual numerical temp reading because I'm not really sure if it is relevant to any operational decision making. Engine oil temp, ah, who cares?
Appreciate 0