XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Closed Thread

09-08-2018, 10:29 AM   #89
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

C8 Corvette on the Nurburgring

Appreciate 3
NickyC17236.50
RotorOver294.50
      09-08-2018, 11:52 AM   #90
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

Appreciate 3
      09-10-2018, 02:59 PM   #91
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Looks good besides the rear spoiler!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 02:48 PM   #92
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

Another rendering

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 11:01 PM   #93
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra93 View Post
Tiny brakes. Must be a base model C8.

19in wheel, those rotors can't be more than 350mm and they aren't even slotted or drilled.

Seems like a sign the base C8 isn't a huge price jump over the C7, with basic equipment like that.
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2018, 11:11 PM   #94
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieGrüneHölle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by supra93 View Post

19in wheel, those rotors can't be more than 350mm and they aren't even slotted or drilled.

Seems like a sign the base C8 isn't a huge price jump over the C7, with basic equipment like that.
Good catch.

Splitting hairs here, but I'm not sure I'd label them "tiny" though. When I think nearly-inappropriately tiny, I think of the 330 mm 4-piston setup on a base Carrera. This is a little better.
      09-22-2018, 01:17 AM   #95
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:

What do you think drilled rotors do for you?
Appreciate 1
Biginboca3759.50
      09-22-2018, 06:43 AM   #96
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
What do you think drilled rotors do for you?
Look cool
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 06:48 AM   #97
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

I hope GM puts a little more screen in front of the heat exchangers, they'll get easily torn up on US roads.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 07:05 AM   #98
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Look cool
Glad you realize this

This appears to be the base-model, but drilled or slotted rotors have nothing to do with the quality or performance of the brake system, as you likely know. Further, it’s difficult to tell, but appears to be a 2-piece rotor, which is a pretty high end setup. The previous GM efforts have a history of right-sized brakes for their weight and power with many best-in-class figures, so I wouldn’t be worried. Of course, asthetically, I think massive brakes look great and some of the worst looking autos out there are trucks with massive expensive wheels and dinky little brakes or even worse: big forged wheels over drum brakes. These are not forgiveable.
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4462.00
      09-22-2018, 07:10 AM   #99
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Glad you realize this

This appears to be the base-model, but drilled or slotted rotors have nothing to do with the quality or performance of the brake system, as you likely know. Further, it’s difficult to tell, but appears to be a 2-piece rotor, which is a pretty high end setup. The previous GM efforts have a history of right-sized brakes for their weight and power with many best-in-class figures, so I wouldn’t be worried. Of course, asthetically, I think massive brakes look great and some of the worst looking autos out there are trucks with massive expensive wheels and dinky little brakes or even worse: big forged wheels over drum brakes. These are not forgiveable.
If the base model C8 is going to be priced near the C7 just because it doesn't have cool-looking slotted/drilled rotors, then great, maybe I'll consider a 'Vette for once.

(note: I did consider the C7 with a Z51 package, but ended up with my Z4...)
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 11:25 AM   #100
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
If the base model C8 is going to be priced near the C7 just because it doesn't have cool-looking slotted/drilled rotors, then great, maybe I'll consider a 'Vette for once.

(note: I did consider the C7 with a Z51 package, but ended up with my Z4...)
I like big brakes
Attached Images

09-22-2018, 12:04 PM   #101
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

You were doing fine until the weenie XTR two pistons.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 12:29 PM   #102
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Glad you realize this

For the record I was just using the pics as a determinant of what model they are testing. For instance the C7 C51 pack has slotted rotors. So one could come to the conclusion this is the base model.

Yes drilled rotors are basically a gimmick. All they do is increase the chances of rotors cracking. Basically an old tech that has remained around for aesthetics. Slotted rotors do remove pad glazing, but can increase pad wear.

The rotors are definitely small. Thanks to an idiotic R&T article, some internet fodder has been going around the ME Vette was lapping the ring under 7min...testing some high-hend ME Vette. The top range C8 will be wearing some big carbon ceramics and big aero, to try and dip under or near 7min. Clearly you can tell this is the base model car they are testing, most likely mid 7min car around the ring at best.

Last edited by DieGrüneHölle; 09-22-2018 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 12:47 PM   #103
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The Vette forums will have thinking the mid-engine Vette will be $180k and conquer the world. All they are doing is creating hype that the car will never be able to live up to. They are base model test cars clearly from the pics.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 04:16 PM   #104
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The Vette forums will have thinking the mid-engine Vette will be $180k and conquer the world. All they are doing is creating hype that the car will never be able to live up to. They are base model test cars clearly from the pics.
I can't imagine base being that expensive, maybe highest edition, but if the current ZR-1 and ZL-1 1LE are any indication, it probably will conquer the world.
      09-22-2018, 04:23 PM   #105
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I know, I just don't have any good picture of my 8" XTs.
      09-22-2018, 04:44 PM   #106
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I know, I just don't have any good picture of my 8" XTs.
Maybe try something that works in the cold? With good ol' dinosaur juice? Partial to Formulas myself. Although will likely run Saints or XTR Enduros on my next bike now that Shimano is finally serious about 1x.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 05:08 PM   #107
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Maybe try something that works in the cold? With good ol' dinosaur juice? Partial to Formulas myself. Although will likely run Saints or XTR Enduros on my next bike now that Shimano is finally serious about 1x.
That's a myth to a large extent.

The thing about mineral oil is that there's no standard for it, so the companies are free to develop whatever they want, as a result, the fluids can have radically differing properties. Magura is a good example of this, their fluid did not test well at low temps (German quantitative tests). The XTRs work just fine for me down to -20°F. Sure, they are stiffer, but they still work and you don't need a lot of braking when it's -20 anyway. I have actually done -20 with one XTR and one Formula, they felt exactly the same. It's not that the fluid goes bad with Shimano, it's caliper seals that get very hard and stiff. If I was regularly riding colder than this, such as Fairbanks, I might go for Avid mechs, but overflow can be a big issue in the winter and can render any brake, especially a mechanical, inoperable. On solid-ice sections with studded tires, you want at least some brake.

The real problem with Shimano is that they don't offer any replacement parts, seals, etc. Due to this, they are "throwaway" brakes that you can't keep going season after season. I get about 2 seasons and they give out, my old XTs did (ones that I actually don't ride in these crazy cold temps). That left me without a rear brake on a vacation and I was pissed. They also weep a little fluid if you let them sit for long periods of time, that I can deal with though-knowing a sure method to clean the rotor and pads. I can't deal with their cheap disposable brake philosophy. Probably go back to Hope, although I didn't have the best experience with their power back in the day.

First two pictures are around low-single digits to zero. Last picture was a 100 mile race (turned into 120) where the temperature much of the time was around -10. As I said, the coldest I usually ride is about -20, it's not that cold here often, but back in the mountains in February and March it can be.

The rotors on the other hand, those are pretty amazing. The aluminum heat-dissipating fin sandwiched in between the steel braking tracts seems a few generations beyond what we use on cars today and they work great. On my XC bike I can run a small rotor and not overheat it on some pretty crazy descents.
Attached Images

Last edited by RM7; 09-22-2018 at 06:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4462.00
      09-22-2018, 05:23 PM   #108
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Plus, Formula brakes now use mineral oil too:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/new-fo...-4-brakes.html
      09-22-2018, 07:17 PM   #109
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Plus, Formula brakes now use mineral oil too:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/new-fo...-4-brakes.html
Yeah, part of my reason to now consider the Shimanos. Hadn't considered the parts issue, but makes sense as that's one of the reasons I've always run Campy for my road bikes.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 05:06 PM   #110
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I like big brakes
Just dropped in little brakes in the E90 this morning.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread