XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Closed Thread

09-03-2015, 05:13 PM   #1
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Arrow Places to visit near Munich while on ED...

Tatzelwurmstraße, Café Winklstüberl, Kraftquelle Schlossblic, Tiroler Hof/Kufstein, Sella Dolomites...

FYI... I've been meaning to post this info for a long time. Here are some of my ED tips for nice places to visit in the Munich area. Most are just an hour or so away. (in this first posting anyways )...

Dackel

Name:  Tatzelwurmstraße (1).png
Views: 25376
Size:  6.9 KB

Tatzelwurmstraße

The Tatzelwurmstraße is Germany's version of the Tail of the Dragon. IF you start out from Brannenburg, go to the center of the town and at the traffic light HEAD straight up the hill into what looks like a residential road. before you know it there will be a man at a toll booth. Pay your two euros and let the FUN begin! Its starts out quite narrow and thru the woods. Then slowly the road becomes wider and wider and smoother. You can follow this road all the way into Kufstein, Austria. It makes for a great way braking in a new engine on ED. Lots of switch backs and winding roads. Be forewarned that as once you cross into Austria the local Polizei tend to be rather strict in enforcing the local speed limits. You do not need a vignette driving this way into Austria. You will only need a vignette to drive on Austria Autobahns - once you leave Kufstein and get onto the Autobahn. You can buy a vignette at any gas station in Southern Germany or even in the town of Kufstein.

A nice driving route...

Brannenburg --> Tatzelwurmstraße, 83080 Oberaudorf --> Kufstein, Austria
https://www.google.de/maps/dir/Brann...8237!3e0?hl=en

Here is a video that a friend of mine(Mark) filmed in his M135i last weekend(March, 2016)... it will show you how nice of a road the Tatzelwurmstrasse is. Unfortunately Mark did not start off at Brannenburg - which is quite narrow and I feel the best part of the drive.

Vignette

Name:  polizei blaulicht.jpg
Views: 15784
Size:  37.3 KB

Be aware that starting this year(Jan, 2015) you now need a vignette in order to cross into Austria from Germany. In the past you could take the first Austrian exit(Kufstein) and buy a vignette. Not anymore!!! There are always Austrian Polizei waiting at the bridge as you cross into Austria on the Autobahn. So buy a vignette before hand IF you are traveling by Autobahn. No vignette and its a 120 euro fine(cash!). Also apply the vignette sricker FULLY to you windshield. IF you put it on half way(so to remove it later) the Polizei WILL fine you 500 euros - bc they think you are moving it from car to car.

"We sell the (Austrian) Vignette"...
Name:  vignetten-an-einer.jpg
Views: 11027
Size:  169.7 KB

Café Winklstüberl

Café Winklstüberl...
Name:  Winklstüberl  sign.jpg
Views: 11343
Size:  24.6 KB

Name:  Winklstüberl 12.jpg
Views: 17332
Size:  122.9 KB

Name:  Winklstüberl 15.jpg
Views: 11754
Size:  74.8 KB

Name:  Winklstüberl  3338800_n.jpg
Views: 11142
Size:  89.0 KB

Name:  Winklstüberl  34464623_n.jpg
Views: 10371
Size:  74.7 KB

Name:  Winklstüberl  5346402_n.jpg
Views: 10387
Size:  90.3 KB

Name:  Winklstüberl  55888642_o.jpg
Views: 10677
Size:  119.5 KB

Name:  Winklstüberl.jpg
Views: 10512
Size:  67.5 KB

Name:  Winklstüberl Cafe   49923567_7779720959410775377_n.jpg
Views: 15732
Size:  94.0 KB

Name:  Winklstüberl 21.jpg
Views: 10152
Size:  58.5 KB

Name:  Winklstüberl 14.jpg
Views: 11583
Size:  92.6 KB

Name:  Winklstüberl Cafe   11220081_10153484950263567_1219844606769862688_n.jpg
Views: 11974
Size:  98.5 KB

Café Winklstüberl
Leitzachtalstraße 68
83730 Fischbachau

www.winklstueberl.de

Café Winklstüberl is one of those old school places. They have awesome hand made cakes and pies. Many, many people come here on the weekends. During the week not so many people. Still even with the buses and fast cars that stop by for a "coffee and cake" break - THIS is the place to be! A simply wonderful taste of Bavaria culture.

They also have rooms here... but I have never stayed here. One cool thing is upstairs they have a huge coffee grinder collection. Don't miss stopping here. Its only about a 45 minute drive from Munich. Makes for a perfect "pit-stop" on your way South.

Tiroler Hof

Tiroler Hof Kufstein

For some of THE BEST schnitzel, go visit the Tiroler Hof. Order the Kalbsschnitzel. They are also a hotel, but its kind of basic I stayed there once, and it was enough. I really recommend driving ten minutes further and staying at the Kraftquelle Schlossblick Hotel bellow... But the food here at the Tiroler Hof is excellent!

Tiroler Hof Kufstein
Am Rain 16
6330 Kufstein
Austria

www.tirolerhof-kufstein.at/en

Tiroler Hof Kufstein
Name:  Tiroler Hof Kufstein  aussen.jpg
Views: 11867
Size:  768.4 KB
Kufstein's Festung (fortress castle)...
Name:  Tiroler Hof Kufstein   festung_Kufstein_tag.jpg
Views: 14232
Size:  128.7 KB

Hotel Kraftquelle Schlossblick

Hotel Seminar Kraftquelle Schlossblick
Embach 1
6320 Angerberg
Austria

The Kraftquelle Schlossblick is one of my all time favorite hotels. The rooms are very nice and spacious. Lots of wood and nature on offer here. They have horses near by, lots of wild life and its sooo quiet here. You can look down the road and see Schlossblick(Castle view) of Mariastein(a near by Castle). The hotel is run by a nice family. Their daughter Katrin speaks fluent British/English. I always love staying here and the prices are great!

The rooms are very reasonable (under 100 euros) and include a four course dinner and breakfast. The family that runs the hotel is really nice and their daughter Katrin is fluent in English. I've stayed here many times and they have never disappointed me. A wonderful and simple hotel. You can even go hiking or cross country skiing in the summer/winter. I prefer to drive the curvy roads near by.

A really great little Alpine road/drive is driving from the Schlossblick hotel and to Brandenberg, Austria. It's a short 45 minute drive that dead ends in Brandenberg(A) but it's a fun little road.

https://www.google.de/maps/dir/Hotel....4906621?hl=en

Name:  schloss Blick Hotel Kufstein   P1000990.jpg
Views: 10208
Size:  144.2 KB

Name:  SchlossBlick Hotel near Kufstein, AustriaP1010009.jpg
Views: 10119
Size:  232.1 KB

Schlossblick(Castle view) of Mariastein(a near by Castle)

Name:  schlossblick  P1000992.jpg
Views: 8325
Size:  261.1 KB

The view from the rooms...
Name:  SchlossBlick Hotel near Kufstein, Austria599462_10151643354386171_1357125858_n.jpg
Views: 13779
Size:  101.0 KB

Name:  SchlossBlick Hotel near Kufstein, AustriaP1000934.jpg
Views: 12729
Size:  140.4 KB

half board, comes with a four course meal included.
Name:  SchlossBlick Hotel near Kufstein, AustriaP1000936.jpg
Views: 11526
Size:  150.4 KB

Name:  schlossblick431950_122605864609355_637374246_n.jpg
Views: 8524
Size:  56.0 KB

For more info and places to visit near Munich... Please check out my other thread here...

Places to visit near Munich while on ED...
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1170588

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 06:51 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Exclamation NO right turn on RED in Germany! Unless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rbatim View Post
Quick question regarding red lights at a stop sign. Can we turn right on a red light after making a complete stop? Obviously, they don't have a no turn on red sign like we do back home. (Or do they) Some people beep at me and some don't lol. Bunch of impatient Germans lol. There are times when I think some roads a one way due to people parking in the same direction on both lanes and Bam! Coming head on with another car lol. I just shrug it off and give a peace sign. And don't get me started on freaking bus lanes.. impossible to know especially when it's pissing rain out. Sorry, just venting.. I miss the states.

NO right turn on Red!!

NO! In Germany, there is NO right turn on Red!! The only caveat is in some cities... the traffic light MIGHT have a green RIGHT turn light. And at some t-lights... you will see a metal green RIGHT arrow sign attached to the t-light. This means you MAY turn right on RED after stopping. But these signs are really rare. In General there is NO right turn on RED!

Name:  right on red - after stopping   gruen-pfeil.jpg
Views: 10687
Size:  11.4 KB

Even Germans don't really understand the metal green arrow on a red light. Many people think they don't need to come to a full stop. They DO! That's what this white sign says under the GREEN arrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lore2486 View Post
yeah its hard driving here in Munich, I think i ran a few lights already.
Be careful running a red light is a big NO NO over here. Fines can be in the 400 euro range. It depends on how many seconds you ran the red light(even for turning at the intersection). Most intersections have cameras.

Also in Munich... most tunnels have speed cameras. Some of the latest versions don't even flash when they "catch" you. You just get the "bill" in the post a few weeks later.

One other thing about traffic lights... in the evenings after say 9pm most traffic lights will switch OFF. Then for traffic that has "the right of way" their side will see that the intersection light is OFF. For the cars coming from the side streets... they will have a FLASHING YELLOW! This means they must YIELD(and or Stop!) if traffic is coming from the main road. This is not how it works in the USA! Take note!!

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 07:12 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger Kim View Post
during the paper work process, I got a little piece of paper basic information regarding popular EU countries visited and on the bottom it said no right turn on red except green arrow. I still see people taking rights but when I get to the front I just waited and no one honked at me.

Germany is the easiest country to drive from what I've experienced lol. don't come to Italy...
Germany has something like 900 different traffic signs. Fortunately you only need to KNOW 600+ of them to pass your German driver's license! lol I'm not joking.

Name:  die-duemmsten-verkehrsschilder.jpg
Views: 11025
Size:  37.9 KB

Here is a PDF with all the major traffic signs everyone should know(!) when visiting Germany. You can also take this US Army Europe practice test too...

http://www.usareurpracticetest.com/
Attached Images
File Type: pdf USAREUR_road_sign_chart.pdf (581.4 KB, 6503 views)
Appreciate 1
xander_g955.00
      09-06-2015, 02:19 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

a few ED places in Munich & other things... ;)

BMW Welt and Museum

Name:  BMW Welt and Museum and WERK  IMG_8928.jpg
Views: 27801
Size:  179.6 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Thank you sir. I'm not quite headed that way for this trip, but have it bookmarked for the future!

If you have any tips/suggestions for people while visiting Munich, I would greatly appreciate it. I've been there before, but need to spend a Saturday/Sunday doing fun local stuff before I pick up my car on Monday. We love scenic places, and restaurants with good schnitzel, spaetzle and beer!

I will assume you seen my ED thread/guide...

Dackel's European Delivery Museum Guide
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494657

A taste of BMW Welt, München’s Marienplatz, and Oktoberfest!
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437687

Deutsches Museum Verkehrszentrum
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402730

Be aware that, the BMW Museum is CLOSED on MONDAYS!!! So you might want to go see that first!

Actually, most museums in Germany/Europe are closed on Mondays.

Most German museums are CLOSED on Mondays!!

Name:  Muenchen-Sehenswertes-Buehne_5a35299c62.jpg
Views: 8650
Size:  50.7 KB

IF you go to Dachau Concentration Camp/Museum there is a very nice Airplane Museum called: Deutsches Museum - Flugwerft Schleissheim in Oberschleißheim near by. There is a nice Residence next door to to the Airplane Museum.

Deutsches Museum - Flugwerft Schleissheim

Name:  schleissheim-620.jpg
Views: 8625
Size:  29.8 KB

Deutsches Museum - Flugwerft Schleissheim
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=488879

BMW Lenbachplatz

Name:  lenbachplatz.jpg
Views: 8292
Size:  264.2 KB

BMW has a min-welt near the Munich train station. Its worth a visit IF you are in the area. They only have a handful of cars here... but its cool to visit.

BMW Lenbachplatz display in downtown Munich...
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=879995

Zum Augustiner

One of my favorite beer kellers/restaurants is near there too: Zum Augustiner Several hundred years old this place is very charming. Everyone goes to the Hofbrau Hof... but I prefer this keller.

Zum Augustiner
Neuhauser Str. 27
80331 München

www.augustiner-restaurant.com

Max Krug

IF your looking for some German snick-schack tourist things... almost across the street from Zum Augustiner is Max Krug.

Max Krug
Neuhauser Str. 2
80331 München

www.max-krug.com

You could also go on one of those "walking tours" of Munich. I did the Third Reich tour and it was very interesting. I think they charge a small fee for their tours. It's not free. But It was only around ten euros. You just meet in front of the old RatsKeller(city hall) aka Marienplatz.

www.newmunichtours.com

Munich shops...

When I am in downtown Munich, I like to always visit these places...

Marienplatz
Name:  Marienplatz3279647691965_569965791_n.jpg
Views: 8740
Size:  125.8 KB

GALERIA Kaufhof

GALERIA Kaufhof at Christmas time...
Name:  Galeria Kaufhof_Fassade_04-1400x832.jpg
Views: 6339
Size:  314.1 KB

GALERIA Kaufhof (Big Dept Store)
Kaufingerstraße 1-5
80331 München

Downstairs in GALERIA Kaufhof they have some nice German tourist stuff. Plus they have a nice "market" where you can find foods from all over the world. I also like to go upstairs(4th floor?) and visit the toy and model dept. They also have some very nice Steife Teddy Bears.

Frauenkirche

Name:  munchen 1609925_10153531309508357_7849515414013703326_n.jpg
Views: 6595
Size:  113.3 KB

Dallmayr coffee haus

IF you walk behind the Marienplatz you will see a row of really high end boutiques. I always like looking inside at the Dallmayr (coffee, the BEST in Germany) store. They have all sorts of delikatessen. They even have imported cigars here!

Dallmayr-Tabacladen Marco Schum e.K.
Dienerstraße 15
80331 München

Right next door to Dallmayr's is a really cool but weird place... The store's name is Manufactum and its a cross between a bread and chease shop AND a hardware and fashion store. Its kind of like a German Backery meets the Sharper Image catalog. One must at least walk thru this place!

Manufactum GmbH & Co. KG
Dienerstraße 12
80331 München

also near both of these places are...

Porsche Design Store München
Dienerstraße 17
80331 München

Bang & Olufsen Maximilianstraße München
Maximilianstraße 32
80539 München

I just like walking around this area because of the WOW factor. Especially when you look at the price tags. lol

Brenner Grill

...another really GREAT restaurant is the Brenner Grill. A very nice place. Great bar too.

Brenner
Maximilianstraße 15
80539 München

Just to give you an idea about the Brenner Grill..

Brenner Grill
Name:  brenner  innenstadtwirte_brenner2.jpg
Views: 6358
Size:  126.2 KB

The Brenner is also quite close to the four seasons hotel...

Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Kempinski
Maximilianstraße 17
80539 München

MarienPlatz

I also like visiting/walking around the market near MarienPlatz. It's called the Victuals Market. Here you can find all sorts of fresh hand made foods. It is a must see place. Also there are many good beer gardens in this area. Also some good Antique shops as well. Walk a few blocks in this area, off the beaten path.

Name:  Viktualienmarkt   Bavaria-Day-Tours-Beertour-Munich3_f1a9567721.jpg
Views: 8739
Size:  558.0 KB

Name:  viktualienmarkt d .jpg
Views: 10334
Size:  151.6 KB

Name:  viktualienmarkt in muenchen.jpg
Views: 24645
Size:  404.2 KB

Name:  viktualienmarkt-10.jpg
Views: 6195
Size:  64.6 KB

Victuals Market

Victuals Market
Viktualienmarkt 3
80331 München

Café Rischart

Café Rischart next to the O2 shop as you walk from Marien Platz to the Viktualienmarkt
Name:  Cafe Rischart_2011.jpg
Views: 11989
Size:  279.8 KB

also Café Rischart is a nice place to sit down for a snack or coffee and cake.

Café Rischart
Marienplatz 18
80331 München

I prefer their other shop near the O2 phone shop closer to MarienPlatz. IF you go upstairs there, you have a nice view of the MarienPlatz while eating some cake.

IF you are feeling adventurous behind Café Rischart is Saint Peter's Church. For a small fee you can climb the narrow and steep steps for an Awesome view of Munich.

St. Peter's Church
Rindermarkt 1
80331 München

Haxnbauer im Scholastikahaus

Name:  Haxnbauer im Scholastikahaus .jpg
Views: 11683
Size:  412.3 KB

Name:  Haxnbauer im Scholastikahaus  02.jpg
Views: 6339
Size:  102.7 KB

Everyone goes to the Hofbräuhaus in München (and or the HardRock Cafe across the street from it)but another really nice restaurant just around the corner from the HB is Haxnbauer im Scholastikahaus.

Sparkassenstraße 6
80331 München

Filmtheater Sendlinger Tor

Name:  sendlinger-tor filmtheater-1.jpg
Views: 9731
Size:  118.3 KB

IF you have time in the evening you could take in a film at a very classic old film palace/theater... Sendlinger Tor Sometimes the films are in English... you just have to look online or ring them up. This is where we had the screening for the BMW film Adrenalin

Sendlinger-Tor-Platz 11
80336 München

www.filmtheatersendlingertor.de

One of my friends who lives in Munich suggested this one star Michelin restaurant...

Gasthof Widmann
Bergstraße 4
82216 Maisach

Also in the downtown area is that MB store that has a few cars on display. They always have something special to see. Its located across the street from the Star Bucks coffee haus at Odeonsplatz.

Starbucks (free WiFi !)
Odeonspl. 15-16
80539 München

Odeonsplatz

From Odeonsplatz you could take a long walk thru the English Gardens. There are several nice beer gartens inside of this area. I'd recommend walking thru the Munich Residenz from behind the Star Bucks and into the Gardens from there.

Munich's Residenz - walk to the right and you enter the English Gardens...
Name:  Muenchen-Sehenswertes-Bild-im-Text-3.jpg
Views: 6462
Size:  70.0 KB

Chinesischen Turm

Chinesischen Turm
Name:  Chinesischen Turm1162330837.jpg
Views: 6278
Size:  56.6 KB

I always enjoy walking to - the old Chinesischen Turm(Chinese Tower). You can walk from downtown Munich to this area. You wil be very thirsty for some HofBrau beer once you get there! Actually the entire Englischer Garten(English Garden) area is so pretty. There is a inside and outside restaurant(s).

Restaurant und Biergarten am Chinesischen Turm
Englischer Garten 3
80538 München

www.chinaturm.de

Another really GREAT beer garden/restaurant is the Nockherberg. This is just up the street from Marienplatz and the Deutsche Museum island. The U-bahn will take you close to it. And then its a short walk to the Nockherberg. The Paulaner beer factory is around the corner from the restaurant/keller. You might want to look into a Beer factory tour here. ?

Paulaner am Nockherberg
Hochstraße 77
81541 München

www.nockherberg.com/en/biergarten

Döner Kebab
Name:  Doner_kebab,_Istanbul,_Turkey.JPG
Views: 12884
Size:  153.4 KB

And lastly... what trip to Germany is not complete unless you have some great tasty Döner Kebab!! My friend's tell me that for the very BEST Döner you need to go here... Verdi Supermarket

Verdi
Landwehrstraße 46
80336 München

Have a great ED...
Dackel

PS: And...

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 03:31 AM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Sella Dolomites

Quote:
Where is this? What is the full hotel name/website?
Hotel Kolfuschgerhof is in the Sella Dolomites, in Northern Italy. It's only about four hours South coming from Munich.

Ok, Ok... this is not really that close to Munich... but I thought I would mention Sella Dolomites because its such an awesome place to drive. And its really under four hour drive from Munich.

Hotel Kolfuschgerhof

Hotel Kolfuschgerhof is run by a nice family. Dagmar, their daughter is very nice and speaks fluent English. They are also big car lovers and will put your beloved car inside their hotel garage IF you ask nicely - for safe keeping. A BIG Plus in Italy. :humbsup: The food and ambiance is very nice here. AND the hotel is out in the country... so its very quiet and you can see all the stars at night. Its a great place to stay! They even have a very nice wellness pool and massage/sauna area that is included with the room rates. When we stayed there they even had someone play the piano every evening. Its a classy place to stay. Go with their "upgraded" deluxe rooms... trust me on this.

Hotel Kolfuschgerhof
Via Rönn 7
39033 Colfosco-Corvara
, (Province of Bolzano - South Tyrol)
Italy

tel. +39 0471 836188
email: info@kolfuschgerhof.com

http://www.kolfuschgerhof.com/eng/Default.asp

more on the Dolomites region... (Corvara - Colfosco - Alta Badia - Dolomites)
http://www.visitdolomites.com/en

Sella Dolomites...
Name:  Sella    10329769_10152066471801971_9209454913563022760_o.jpg
Views: 11027
Size:  301.9 KB

Name:  Sella   10382614_651521274922282_5721598822577051547_o.jpg
Views: 11291
Size:  154.6 KB

Hotel Kolfuschgerhof...
Name:  hotel_koftelhof will05.jpg
Views: 18525
Size:  141.8 KB

Name:  Sella   Hotel Kolfuschgerhof     10455003_691824630853870_2597829808447172837_o.jpg
Views: 13496
Size:  115.4 KB

Name:  Sella  Hotel Kolfuschgerhof     10499343_704382849598048_534667051736844303_o.jpg
Views: 25372
Size:  155.6 KB
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 12:40 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Exclamation Vignettes...

Vignette & Tolls

We sell the Vignette...
Name:  vignetten-an-einer.jpg
Views: 11000
Size:  169.7 KB

Lets talk about Vignettes or as some Germans say die Pickerl! (Austrian slang for the Vignette, but everyone just says Vignette)

When you travel into Austria or Switzerland you MUST have a vignette(or toll sticker so you have paid your fair share of the road tax). In Austria... you can buy a ten day, thirty day and one year. A ten day vignette costs about eight euros. Also new this year(starting that last January) is you MUST have one on your windshield BEFORE you enter Austria!!! This is new! You can buy a vignette at ANY gas station in German as you near the border. Normally any of the gas stations on the A9 or A8 or A93 will sell them.

You can also buy the Vignettes in Germany at any ADAC center. In most large cities there will be a few ADAC locations.

Name:  Fotolia_5432167_Subscription_L.jpg
Views: 11140
Size:  41.5 KB

Also be aware... that you MUST apply the full sticker/decal/Vignette to your windshield! IF you put it half way on(say to remove it easier later on...) and the Austrian Polizei see/find this... you will have to pay a 500 euro fine!! Not having the 8 euro vignette is a 120 euro fine. Cash, on the spot! Place the vignette sticker onto the inside of your windshield fully. The sticker can be anywhere out of the direct drivers line of sight. Most people put it at the top or bottom of the windshield.

The Austria's have cameras behind the Autobahn signs and above the highway... they can tell IF you do not have a Vignette. Or if yours has expired. You will get Blitz'd(a picture taken) normally you do not see the flash. Just the "bill" in the mail a few weeks later.

In Switzerland its the same... except their vignette is only sold in the ONE YEAR size... so you will have to pay 40 euros to drive thru Switzerland.

Now a days, some of the speed or vignette cameras that do not flash(!)... but will record your plate and send you a big fine IF your decal/sticker/vignette is not on the front windshield. So put it on! It can be anywhere... but I always place it at the top of the windshield so its out of my main driving sight.

Also... everyone NEEDS a warning vest for EACH person inside your car. AND this warning vest has to be stored INSIDE the driver's reach. Because they want you to put on the vest BEFORE exiting your car.

IF you do break down on the Autobahn or Bundesstrasse... you FIRST put on your vest... then place your warning triangle at least 100 meters behind your car... then open our engine hood and stay outside of the car AND behind the guard rail and wait for help.

On those white sticks that mark every few meters... there will be an arrow... pointing to the nearest emergency phone on the Autobahn. But now a days everyone has a cell/handy/mobile.
Name:  Vest...    10314508_761506493872341_7849847776049593518_n.jpg
Views: 13280
Size:  43.4 KB

Name:  vignetten_2014_schweiz_oesterreich_foto__8a4c45456f.jpg
Views: 10828
Size:  65.2 KB

one of the many signs telling foreign drivers they need a Vignette!
Name:  P1230660.jpg
Views: 10971
Size:  144.5 KB

Name:  10491199_727877373922060_4610946060916896850_n.jpg
Views: 11005
Size:  84.3 KB

Maut = Toll Road. be ready to pay up!
Name:  maut_schild_rostock_pa_1180.jpg.8374676 (1).jpg
Views: 11122
Size:  386.5 KB

SOS emergency/breakdown phone...
Name:  panthermedia_03105441.jpg
Views: 10882
Size:  341.2 KB

In Italy they do it differently... its just like the NJ Turnpike... you get a ticket when you enter the Autostrada... and then when you exit... you put your ticket in and pay. It can be quite pricey. Like to drive from Munich to Venice and back you will pay around ~60 euros in tolls.
Name:  P1250875.jpg
Views: 10721
Size:  216.0 KB

Name:  P1230610.jpg
Views: 10508
Size:  170.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 03:20 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

EssZimmer restaurant at the BMW Welt

Many people do not know that the BMW Welt has a very nice upscale restaurant called the EssZimmer. A friend of mine had dinner there... he said it was VERY nice. But he did spend about a 200 euros for dinner for two. But he said it was worth it.

http://esszimmer-muenchen.de/en

The Welt's EssZimmer...
Name:  Welt EssZimmer    12003010_1013634288688702_211126235271660963_n.jpg
Views: 10290
Size:  79.5 KB

Name:  Welt EssZimmer    11145555_1013634295355368_5428181008060289295_n.jpg
Views: 10126
Size:  91.4 KB

Name:  Welt EssZimmer    12003963_1013634305355367_9182991345957553817_n.jpg
Views: 8667
Size:  85.5 KB

Name:  Welt EssZimmer    11986914_1013634302022034_8514754301497602777_n.jpg
Views: 8427
Size:  86.3 KB

Name:  welt 10355747_367548023433005_7955436379974998365_n (1).jpg
Views: 7746
Size:  51.7 KB
Appreciate 1
xander_g955.00
      09-08-2015, 03:21 PM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Andechs and the Ammersee...

Name:  Kloster  ANdrechs  andechs_kloster_logo.jpg
Views: 10026
Size:  20.3 KB

Another nice place close to Munich is Andechs Monastery. The have some great beers and the food is really good. This place can be crowded when the weather is nice... but its a nice place to visit. The roads in this area are quite nice to drive too.

Andechs Monastery (Kloster)
Bergstraße 2
82346 Andechs
Germany

http://andechs.de/no_cache/en/

Name:  Kloster Andrechs mdb_109617_kloster_andechs_panorama_704x328.jpg
Views: 25749
Size:  59.1 KB

Name:  Kloster Andrechs  10_by_andechs_kloster_biergarten_roland_rossner_3_452x.jpg
Views: 13581
Size:  33.9 KB

Name:  kloster andrechs  12002831_10207666735651504_2787443128121324175_n.jpg
Views: 9018
Size:  33.1 KB

Name:  Kloster Andrechs11406952_10153334956172383_5282984285131791715_n.jpg
Views: 18282
Size:  101.7 KB

Name:  Kloster Andrechs 10354938_10152555980187383_5610827543320364751_n.jpg
Views: 7211
Size:  17.4 KB

Name:  kloster andrechs  raisting-zugspitze.jpg
Views: 5579
Size:  39.4 KB

Name:  kloster andrechs  ammersee-region-uebersicht.jpg
Views: 8902
Size:  103.0 KB

Name:  Kloster Andechs 10277682_10152384053072383_4592273760656001120_n.jpg
Views: 5483
Size:  71.1 KB

Tegernsee...

another nice area to visit... and very close to Munich.

Tegernsee...
Name:  tegernsee  Braeustueberl_Tegernseevom_See_600.jpg
Views: 5241
Size:  123.3 KB

Name:  Tegernsee  395282_285609234826151_939380919_n.jpg
Views: 6053
Size:  102.3 KB

Name:  tegernsee-5.jpg
Views: 5302
Size:  159.2 KB

Name:  tegernsee  braeustueberl_tegernsee_innen.jpg
Views: 5107
Size:  133.6 KB

Weisswurst und Brezel: Bayerische frühstück
Name:  Tegernsee  65865.jpg
Views: 7247
Size:  75.2 KB

Name:  Tegernsee10985383_10152721868396744_6598862004516224552_n.jpg
Views: 4780
Size:  221.7 KB

Another lake side place to visit with good food is: Bräustüberl Tegernsee

Bräustüberl Tegernsee
Schloßpl. 1
83684 Tegernsee
Deutschland

Appreciate 1
xander_g955.00
      09-09-2015, 01:39 AM   #9
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

This is GREAT!!!! We leave for Munich on Oct 12, and will be there through Oct 22. All of this information is fantastic. My last Euro Deliv was in 1995, so I'm a bit rusty on all of this.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 06:45 PM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Talking sommerrodelbahn(s)...

Slides or Sommerrodelbahn(s)...

Fun!!!
Name:  Blombergbahn11220806_1014745195227034_8200682466756672543_n.jpg
Views: 5093
Size:  73.6 KB

Name:  Blombergbahn10440666_805491476152408_1634629607334645292_n.jpg
Views: 7142
Size:  35.7 KB

Name:  Blombergbahn11692492_1000839249950962_2964001739898408117_n.jpg
Views: 5113
Size:  74.6 KB

Name:  Blombergbahn10665749_969948376373383_141559232706653547_n.jpg
Views: 8791
Size:  118.7 KB

Name:  Blombergbahn11235431_969948329706721_6493007534635983300_n.jpg
Views: 4878
Size:  151.4 KB

Name:  Blombergbahn11163790_1033898863311667_3403732008243650057_n.jpg
Views: 5125
Size:  61.7 KB

Sommerrodelbahn(s) are cars(or Luge) on tracks(or concrete slabs) that race down a mountain. They are all over Europe. Some are better than others. A decent one is the Blombergbahn near Munich. A cable system will tow you up the mountain... then once at the top gravity takes over. You do have a hand brake... but most people will brave it out and not use the brakes too much.

Blombergbahn Sommerrodelbahn
http://www.blombergbahn.de/index.php/en/

Blombergbahn
Am Blomberg 2
83646 Bad Tölz - Wackersberg

Pottenstein sommerrodelbahnen...

Name:  pottenstein  Scharmuetzelbob-003_01.jpg
Views: 5029
Size:  163.4 KB

Name:  pottenstein_anfahrt.jpg
Views: 12256
Size:  117.3 KB

There is a nice one near where I live, just North of Nurnberg(NOT near the 'Ring)... In the town of Pottenstein. Its a little over a two hour's drive from Munich. I would only say stop by IF you are in this area. Pottenstein is in the Fränkische Schweiz or "little Swiss". Because the houses are built atop of large rocks and it is quite the charming area. Many Germans come to the Fränkische Schweiz to vacation at. This is also one of the few regions of Germany whee they have found dinosaur bones.

http://www.sommerrodelbahnen-pottenstein.de/

Sommerrodelbahn Pottenstein
An der B 470
91278 Pottenstein

@03:50 Pottenstein sommerrodelbahnen

^^this video also gives you an idea on how great the Fränkische Schweiz area is to visit. Lots of Castles and caves and stuff to do/see.

Fränkische Schweiz...

Name:  Fränkische Schweiz    n.jpg
Views: 8303
Size:  144.0 KB

Name:  Fränkischen Schweiz  tuechersfeld097.JPG
Views: 4887
Size:  201.6 KB

Name:  Fränkische Schweiz  161210678.jpg
Views: 8585
Size:  128.0 KB

Name:  fraenkische_schweiz_002.jpg
Views: 7974
Size:  696.8 KB

Alpsee Bergwelt...

Name:  Alpsee Bergwelt   bledealpcoastlo.jpg
Views: 6528
Size:  92.6 KB

I saved the BEST two places for last...

The wildest best, sommerrodelbahnen I've seen, its near Lake Constance or the Bodensee as the Germans call it. It's called: Alpsee Bergwelt... and its unbelievable, when you see how big this place is. I would highly recommend visiting this place! Its also open all year round!

Alpsee Bergwelt
Ratholz 24
87509 Immenstadt

http://www.alpsee-bergwelt.de/en/

Name:  Alpsee Bergwelt   _alpsee_coaster.jpg
Views: 8235
Size:  128.6 KB

Name:  Alpsee Bergwelt   .jpg
Views: 8307
Size:  173.1 KB

Hasenhorn-rodelbahn...
Name:  hasenhorn-rodelbahn.  540505_366550123385746_2013312743_n.jpg
Views: 5032
Size:  186.7 KB

Name:  hasenhorn-rodelbahn. 11752052_1016606151713470_2057785639537992788_n.jpg
Views: 4607
Size:  27.5 KB

Name:  hasenhorn-rodelbahn. 197959_192029414171152_4675980_n.jpg
Views: 4973
Size:  86.1 KB

Hasenhorn-rodelbahn... in the Black Forrest(Schwarzwald) area. This is such an awesome place. Its quite high up on a mountain. Really breath taking views. This is one rodelbahn you won't ever forget! Its located close to Freiburg - the heart of the Black Forrest area where all those German KuKoo Clocks are made. A great area to visit and drive around.

Hasenhorn Rodelbahn
Brandenbergstraße 3
79674 Todtnau

http://www.hasenhorn-rodelbahn.de/in...a8c24514821a1f

28 turns of fun!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 03:26 PM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
I agree with Dackel here. I've only done ED twice, but southern Germany/Austria were my absolute favorite places. Gorgeous mountains, trees and roads. Not too far away from metropolitan areas, but far enough out to really experience the beauty of the Alpine foothills and fresh air.

This might sound silly, but go ahead and watch The Sound of Music. If you like the countryside depicted there, then definitely spend some time in the very southern part of Germany and Austria (I prefer south of Salzburg, myself).
Yep! There are also companies that do tours of places the film was filmed at - in and around Salzburg.

Another idea is do one of the Saltmine tours(Salzburgwerk) tours... they make you put on silly overalls and you ride a small 1/3 scale train deep into the saltmines... then you slide down these wooden ramps/slides miles under the salt. You will waste half a day - but its so much fun! They even take your picture as you go straight down those wooden slides.

http://tours.salzburgcitytours.com/t...XG2xoCv8Dw_wcB

another thing to see near Salzburg is the: Ötzi Mann – the Iceman

http://www.iceman.it/en/oetzi-the-iceman

Quote:
I also went to Lake Como, and it was beautiful. But Italy is a bit rougher around the edges that Germany/Austria.
Yep. When I drive in Italy... its like driving in New Jersey... rough roads and rough around the edges. But I love driving in Italy. Well... the Northern parts. But the roads are really Perfect in Germany and Austria.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 04:55 PM   #12
dalto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tke743 View Post
As everyone has pointed out Hohenschwangau/Neuschwanstein, but there are 2 routes to this from Munich. One is alpine back roads the other is mostly highway. Since you are in breakin anyway, might as well go the alpine back roads.
I found this out quite by accident.

I had a rental at the time I went and it had a GPS that was entirely in German. When I was headed back to Munich I put the address in and a box popped up with two choices in German. I couldn't read them so I just picked the first one.

It took us the scenic route and it was actually a great surprise. Driving through the hills and those little towns was fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 08:25 PM   #13
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Yep! There are also companies that do tours of places the film was filmed at - in and around Salzburg.

Another idea is do one of the Saltmine tours(Salzburgwerk) tours... they make you put on silly overalls and you ride a small 1/3 scale train deep into the saltmines... then you slide down these wooden ramps/slides miles under the salt. You will waste half a day - but its so much fun! They even take your picture as you go straight down those wooden slides.

Yep, we did the Sound of Music tour as well a (different) salt mine tour. Although I don't typically like the "touristy" things, both were quite enjoyable.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 04:54 AM   #14
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Arrow Highline179...

If your visiting Hohenschwangau/Neuschwanstein... another cool place to visit is this new all glass foot bridge just over the border in Austria!

www.highline179.com

https://www.google.de/maps/place/hig...661f103e?hl=en
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 12:17 PM   #15
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80

Quote:
If your visiting Hohenschwangau/Neuschwanstein... another cool place to visit is this new all glass foot bridge just over the border in Austria!

www.highline179.com

https://www.google.de/maps/place/hig...661f103e?hl=en
That place looks awesome.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 05:15 PM   #16
bob330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 330i

Quote:

Dack
We did that. I was really fun. We took a tour bus down and as I recall, it was pretty reasonable.

Our planned trip this time around will be part of the RS itinerary (Nurburgring/SPA/M-Festival) bracketed by 4 days in Munich in the beginning and 4 days at the end in Paris. We did consider trying to get into Belgium and/or London but as a previous poster said, stay in one place for a couple nights at least. We just started vacationing this way and it makes it so much more pleasant not having to move/travel every day or so.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 12:45 PM   #17
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanszilla View Post
That place looks awesome.
Dacks the man so I'd follow his advice, but would differ on a few things, depending on what you want: is this a driving trip or a sight-seeing trip? Do you want to have lots of pictures of your car in cool places or YOU in cool places? If it's the later, get to a city, park, and stay awhile. If you want a drive or a mix, my 2 cents is:

(1.) I LOVE Switzerland, especially driving in the Swiss mountains. That said, I'm not as much of a fan of Geneva as Zurich. We've done a few EDs and after the last one (14 days) we decided next time we'll spend much more time in the small towns in Eastern Switzerland and do day driving trips, but this all preference of course. For me Geneva is a bit of a 'eh' but I've been there a bunch.

(2.) Italy also wouldn't be high on my list for an ED. There's a bunch of awesome places to see, but for me, not in my car. Scary places with a brand new car IMO. Lugano is a trap, it's A TRAP! Italian riviera is mostly tunnels, inter-city is bland (except in the far north and far south), etc. Great for train and planes, but I won't be doing any more ED action there.

(3.) In France, the route de napoleon if you want a beautiful slow cruise - and the route de vin, both fantastic
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 06:36 AM   #18
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
What's the alpine route?
I think this is it.

02-28-2016, 04:40 PM   #19
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Name:  Furka Pass  P1080474.jpg
Views: 12366
Size:  181.5 KB

Name:  Furka Pass  P1080556.jpg
Views: 5039
Size:  189.9 KB

Name:  Furka Pass Gletsch P1080432.jpg
Views: 9173
Size:  228.8 KB

Name:  Furka Pass P1080371.jpg
Views: 14251
Size:  153.3 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanszilla View Post
Speaking of Alpine routes, will there be an issue to drive from Stuttgart to Geneva and then east bound toward Austria in April ?
No, it shouldn't be a problem.

Have you thought about driving some passes while in Switzerland ?

Maybe a route something like this...
https://www.google.de/maps/dir/Stutt...1981!3e0?hl=en

These are my two all time favorite passes...

Klausenpass, Spiringen, Switzerland

and...

Furka Pass, Obergoms, Switzerland

I would stay here, near the start of the Furka Pass...

Hotel Glocke (located in the Goms valley, a small but charming hotel)

Hotel Glocke
Engelmatt 6
3998 Reckingen VS,
Switzerland

www.glocke.ch

You can see pics of the hotel and of my Alpine adventure driving tour here...

Dackel's Swiss Alpine tour...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=878216

Flüela Pass, Susch, Switzerland - is also another nice pass to drive. More flat than a curvy high alpine pass - but fun never the less. It runs into Davos.

Most of these passes should be open - depending on the winter snow fall. But the best plan is to check the local Pass's websites - to make sure they are open for driving!!

Btw... the Furka Pass was made famous in the James Bond film: Golden Eye...

also the large hotel shown in the opening scene(Grand Hotel Glacier du Rhône) is still there and makes for a nice "coffee" or lunch stop.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 12:29 AM   #20
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80

Quote:
No, it shouldn't be a problem.

Have you thought about driving some passes while in Switzerland ?

Maybe a route something like this...
https://www.google.de/maps/dir/Stutt...1981!3e0?hl=en

These are my two all time favorite passes...

Klausenpass, Spiringen, Switzerland

and...

Furka Pass, Obergoms, Switzerland

I would stay here, near the start of the Furka Pass...

Hotel Glocke (located in the Goms valley, a small but charming hotel)

Hotel Glocke
Engelmatt 6
3998 Reckingen VS,
Switzerland

www.glocke.ch

You can see pics of the hotel and of my Alpine adventure driving tour here...

Dackel's Swiss Alpine tour...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=878216

Flüela Pass, Susch, Switzerland - is also another nice pass to drive. More flat than a curvy high alpine pass - but fun never the less. It runs into Davos.

Most of these passes should be open - depending on the winter snow fall. But the best plan is to check the local Pass's websites - to make sure they are open for driving!!

Btw... the Furka Pass was made famous in the James Bond film: Golden Eye...

also the large hotel shown in the opening scene(Grand Hotel Glacier du Rhône) is still there and makes for a nice "coffee" or lunch stop.

Dackel
Dackel, thank you so much for your input on this! I'm surely due for a good trip now thanks to your help!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 02:11 AM   #21
cipri
Q3D
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [0.00]
2009 E92 M3 6MT  [0.00]
Dackel, thank you so much for all the posts , I will do most of the suggestions driving from Munich towards Verona this may.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 04:15 PM   #22
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cipri View Post
Dackel, thank you so much for all the posts , I will do most of the suggestions driving from Munich towards Verona this may.

Verona is such a nice, small little jewel of a city. I think your gonna love it there. I know I did! You should check out this wonderful museum while you are there... Museum Nicolis.

Museum Nicolis - Verona, Italy
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=959180

Also... maybe since you might be driving thru Milan... you might want to go visit this auto museum...

National Auto Museum of Turin, Italy...
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=959036

Dackel
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread