XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-15-2018, 07:42 PM   #375
saxonb
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M Carbonschwarz

I just installed it but when I switch to car system it shows zoomed in an only 2/3 of the screen with some fuel / speed info screen on the right side. I tried using the 1314 code to change the settings but I come up with an error saying that the settings are not found on the SD card. Pretty damn annoying. Anyone know how to fix?

Drives: 2010 E70 X5M Carbonschwarz
Loved and lost: 07 E92 M3 Silverstone II / 96 E36 M3 Evo Estoril Blue / 07 E84 Z4 M Coupe Interlagos Blue
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 07:50 PM   #376
mrsoandso
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erie Von Otto View Post
Avinusa added the 8.1 to their site. I ordered it this morning with an expected Christmas-ish delivery date. Got the CarPlay, both splitters, wireless backup camera, and microphone. Was less than at the Canadian 4x4 website by a few hundred bucks so I’ll see if I get what I paid for...
Sweet, I might get one too! 4x4shop is more, even though I'm in Canada too. Doesn't make much sense.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 08:25 PM   #377
saxonb
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonb View Post
I just installed it but when I switch to car system it shows zoomed in an only 2/3 of the screen with some fuel / speed info screen on the right side. I tried using the 1314 code to change the settings but I come up with an error saying that the settings are not found on the SD card. Pretty damn annoying. Anyone know how to fix?

I figured it out: you just need to go into the factory settings menu as I did (code: 1314) then click twice on the 7 series CIC setting. the x5 cic setting doesn't cover the screen properly.

Loved and lost: 07 E92 M3 Silverstone II / 96 E36 M3 Evo Estoril Blue / 07 E84 Z4 M Coupe Interlagos Blue
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2018, 09:08 PM   #378
mrsoandso
Private
Rep

Quote:
I figured it out: you just need to go into the factory settings menu as I did (code: 1314) then click twice on the 7 series CIC setting. the x5 cic setting doesn't cover the screen properly.
Thank you for taking the time to come back and let us know how you fixed it!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 07:22 AM   #379
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for sharing. I’ll be scrubbing this and other threads in the next few days for common issues and fixes.
      12-16-2018, 07:27 AM   #380
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for sharing. I’ll be scrubbing this and other threads in the next few days for common issues and fixes.
Please give us a review if you get the chance. Thanks.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 08:20 AM   #381
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Avinusa added the 8.1 to their site. I ordered it this morning with an expected Christmas-ish delivery date. Got the CarPlay, both splitters, wireless backup camera, and microphone. Was less than at the Canadian 4x4 website by a few hundred bucks so I’ll see if I get what I paid for...
I'd like to see 8.1 review as well, more interested in software capabilities rather than hardware, being using 4.4 since October 2017 with no issues.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 03:14 AM   #382
saxonb
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
Please give us a review if you get the chance. Thanks.

I'm just using the screen as I didn't hook up the AUX audio or anything as the quality wouldn't be very good. I'm doing combox instead for iPhone USB / streaming bluetooth.

The screen itself great though. Highly recommended!

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 03:16 AM   #383
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep

Quote:
I'm just using the screen as I didn't hook up the AUX audio or anything as the quality wouldn't be very good. I'm doing combox instead for iPhone USB / streaming bluetooth.

The screen itself great though. Highly recommended!
Interesting! Can you post some pics. That is exactly what i want to do, i have the combox and retrofit harness here already.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 06:07 AM   #384
saxonb
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
Interesting! Can you post some pics. That is exactly what i want to do, i have the combox and retrofit harness here already.
Attached photo.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-17-2018, 10:36 AM   #385
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep

Quote:
Attached photo.
Thanks for posting that. Sent you a PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 03:06 PM   #386
mrsoandso
Private
Rep

Any reviews on the avin 8.1?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 09:42 AM   #387
X5MV
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 X5 4.8L

glitching

My avin is glitching like crazy and overlaying the BMW screen over the android one. Does anybody know how to fix this?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 06:43 PM   #388
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsoandso View Post
I have only seen the reviews on the one from the Canadian page and that was done by them I believe. I just got shipping confirmation on mine from AVINUSA and it is scheduled to arrive by this coming Thurs/Fri. I will try to get it installed by the weekend and post my thoughts then and update as I travel with it.
      12-24-2018, 03:41 AM   #389
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsoandso View Post
I have only seen the reviews on the one from the Canadian page and that was done by them I believe. I just got shipping confirmation on mine from AVINUSA and it is scheduled to arrive by this coming Thurs/Fri. I will try to get it installed by the weekend and post my thoughts then and update as I travel with it.
Thank you. Looking forward to your review
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 12:15 PM   #390
Doubletree1304
Rep
Drives: X5 2012

Hi Saxonb! Any issue?
All the button work? Like menu,nav.cd/dvd?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 06:09 PM   #391
xbummer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d

Received my Avin 8.1 unit and got most of the way through the install today. A few random notes and questions:
- Shipped from Hong Kong on Dec 22, delivered to my house in eastern USA on Dec 24th... did not expect it that quickly and was glad it wasn't stolen from my porch before I returned from holiday travels
- The install is non-trivial and there are no instructions that I could find. Used their competitors "4X4 Shop Canada" video as a guide and muddled through it.
- Be very careful with the radio faceplate, despite being gentle I broke two of the four extremely fragile tabs that hold it on (engineering fail on BMW's part, IMO)
- For my configuration (2012 35d w/ premium sound and nav), audio doesn't work without the Aux cable.
- Not immediately obvious how to adjust display brightness (i.e. dim it at night) - is there an auto-dimming ability?
- In general seems like a modified Android ROM with some things missing (no Netflix on Play store, no ability to split-screen)
- Installed Amazon Music, plays music great but the steering wheel controls don't work. More broadly, seems hit-or-miss whether the iDrive controls work on any particular screen.

So far, overall I'm impressed by the design and integration despite rough edges.
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2018, 07:00 AM   #392
saxonb
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletree1304 View Post
Hi Saxonb! Any issue?
All the button work? Like menu,nav.cd/dvd?
yeah all works

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 04:55 PM   #393
Doubletree1304
Rep
Drives: X5 2012

Quote:
yeah all works
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 10:33 PM   #394
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep

Garage List
First Day Install/Thoughts

Got the system installed today. A few thoughts and hopefully someone has some insight on some of the issues I am seeing. I know this system has been around for a minute, but this is my take on it and what I am seeing with the 8.1 version.

TLDR; Software is alright. I still have to figure some stuff out and get used to it. Screen is beautiful. Car Play needs tweaking. Need IGO NA Maps.

UNBOXING
- Packaging was on point. I shook the box around and nothing was loose whatsoever. Screen was well protected and the contents snug.
- One of it issues I saw on the competitors videos was the build quality of the "Other" units they were comparing. I found this one to be similar if not better to their unit. It was well put together and the Microphone terminals were not openly exposed. It looked well put together.

INSTALL
- Dash disassembly was pretty simple. Followed some of the aforementioned videos; no issues.
- Routing of USB and audio jack were a challenge. I removed the shifter assembly and used a coat hanger to route the cables. I purchased one of the dual USB to cigarette lighter setups. Looks good and fits nicely. Some tabs you have to deal with; non-issue. Make sure when routing that you close the sliding ashtray/cup holder covers or you will curse that super tight fitting German engineering as long as I did...
- Tucked cables in-between vents and finessed the giant radio module into it's slot. That took the longest. Getting those huge harness connectors and shit-ton of tiny cables tucked without causing damage to any of them was a source of distress for some time. But it worked after about the 15th install/remove/install attempt. Just me, but I was being overly careful and it was dark.
- After initial install, no power to the climate console. Removed and found that a cable had not clicked in all the way. Easy fix.

FIRST THOUGHTS
So it is not a plug and play and forget type of a system. At least not this version that I currently have and there were/are a ton of glitches that I may not be able to get over which may diminish the overall experience. I will list some that I found, if I was able to fix or if I am looking for help.

(*Had to do the Setting-Factory Setting- 1314- 7 series full Screen before using it*)

FOUND SOLUTION:
-The unit is super bright.
I am sure in the daytime it looks great but at night, it was like having a flashlight pointed to your face. I also did an LED fog light swap today and was not able to actually enjoy the new found visibility due to this issue.
-- Found an app called Lux Lite. Installed, needs sensors will not work
-- Found an app called Midnight. Installed, works well. Has a picture of a sun shaped dial that you can use to turn the brightness up/down and it seems to have done the trick. I turned it down halfway, much more tolerable.
-Car Play
I purchased the adapter as this is wholly the reason I purchased the entire system; using iTunes Radio and Waze for daily commute. Connected it, nothing worked. Did not recognize the white box.
-- DL'd the Car Play Android app from this site:
https://www.tunemyeuro.com/avin-head...p-guide-links/
Had to DL it on my phone and email it to myself as the DL would not work in the installed Chrome browser. Opened it in an email and installed it. Plugged in and the box was recognized without issue.
-Sound quality
Sounded like there was clipping was occurring on everything.
--Not so much as fixed as put a band aid. You can tweak the volume and adjust some of the equalizer settings to make whatever music is coming from the unit sound decent enough. Not B&O quality but good enough for the HK system I suppose. I was hoping for decent sound and that's what I got.
--No system sounds or music was there until I connected the 3.5mm aux to the center console. I did opt for their splitter and it seems to be decent enough. I tested it with my Bose headphones on my phone and it did not degrade the sound.

RECURRING/LOOKING FOR SOLUTION
- Phone call quality was junk on BT. Called several people and they all said they could barely hear me. I opted for the external mike, looks like that will get installed. Did not get a chance to try on Car Play.
- During phone calls, the demo music would start playing. I would have to manually hit the volume dial on the dash to pause it several times until I just turned it down.
- Car Play does not utilize the steering wheel controls. I feel that having to pay a pretty high price for the adapter should render it usable in the manner which we are used to using Car Play. At the very least, give me a solution I can setup myself or let me know ahead of time it may not work. Had I been aware of this particular glitch, I may have opted to wait to get the adapter until the fix was published.
- When utilizing the steering wheel next button, the demo songs would again randomly begin to play. You would have to go back to the music app on the IP6 screen and pause it to get it to stop otherwise it plays with the music in Car Play.
- Car Play seems to be resource heavy and taxing the system. I had Waze going and iTunes and the music sounded like it was losing Wi-Fi; choppy and cutting out. It was basically not usable at this time. (***Id really like a fix for Car Play over anything***)
- IGO Nav is installed and working but the maps that are included are for EUROPE. The GPS has me in the right location but the maps do not load. *Is there a way to DL the North American maps?
- Chrome DL not working. Had zero time to begin to figure that out.
- Customer support has been ghost online during the holidays. It is expected but the lack of instructions and a customer support database or website make it kind of difficult to get this accomplished. I have learned more here than on anything they provide. Someone mentioned they were starting a webpage but that was earlier this year and I did not find anything on the AVINUSA page.

SIDENOTE
I also purchased the wireless rear camera as I am currently experiencing the flickering OEM camera issue. But there were ZERO instructions on it, a bunch of connections with splicing required so it is still sitting in the bag. For now, the OEM camera works ok-ish.

LAST WIND
So far I think it has potential to be a decent enough system for me. If this was my wife's car, it would have already been packaged back up for return as she would not have the patience to deal with relearning the system and dealing with what I am going to assume are not quirks but the way the software works.

I really did not think that I was going to spend so many hours working on this today and not get it done. (Center console still needs trim)

If anyone has any solutions to some of the issues that are left, I would really appreciate any pointers. Hope this helps someone.
Attached Images

Last edited by Erie Von Otto; 12-28-2018 at 11:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 06:47 AM   #395
Kakalika
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d M Sport

Santa left a big plastic wrapped box under my tree!!!!!!!

It's HUGE!!!!!!!! Will be installing later today. Can't wait!!!
      12-28-2018, 09:17 AM   #396
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakalika View Post
Santa left a big plastic wrapped box under my tree!!!!!!!

It's HUGE!!!!!!!! Will be installing later today. Can't wait!!!
Congrats, let us know how it works out.
Appreciate 0