XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

View Poll Results: What's your winter driving situation?
I equip my beloved ride with winter tires 65 71.43%
I got a beater 14 15.38%
What the hell is winter?? 12 13.19%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

12-09-2018, 07:54 PM   #67
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

My 2005 STi on Blizzaks was so much fun that if the NSA knew they’d make it illegal. We had winters on both cars then because we both had to be there when we had to be there. These days we have the luxury of staying home which is priceless.

If you have to drive in winter nothing but nothing beats proper AWD + proper winter tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 09:20 PM   #68
m3jala
Captain
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2013 BMW M3

For what it's worth, I bought Pirelli Sotozzero II which to me are fine for DC weather (and how I use them). I view them as an all season slanted in favor of colder weather. They have great performance in dry cold weather. You will use them up fast if you drive them all year round. They have respectable grip on snow, water and ice, but clearly not as good as a full-on winter set like blizzaks.

The sottozerros are better than the best traditional all season (michelin as3+) for the winter focus. I can attest to this because I've had both. While I use the m3 as my daily even in the winter, if there's any uncleaned snow on the road, my wife and I carpool in her SUV.

I was surprised in this poll how many people are using dedicated winters. Thought I was the only one and most people garage their car in the winter.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 08:25 AM   #69
Alfisti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Don't be silly. Snow tires are for cold temps as well as snow. If you think they are only for snow you have no idea what you are talking about...

All seasons are total junk. You're wasting your time and money.
This.

Been shown a million times that the switch over point is about 7 degrees celcius, below that you have more grip with winters and no, they don't wear quickly if you put them on and take them off before the temps regularly get into double figures (c).

You have NFI.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 08:27 AM   #70
Alfisti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3jala View Post
For what it's worth, I bought Pirelli Sotozzero II which to me are fine for DC weather (and how I use them). I view them as an all season slanted in favor of colder weather. They have great performance in dry cold weather.
Not a fan. Just not good enough as soon as the snow falls, even the wife noticed and she notices NOTHING handling wise but as soon as i put them on she was like "there's no grip in snow, where are my Michelin's".
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 08:35 AM   #71
N420i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 420i lightly modded

I live in central Madrid where it snows, at most, a couple of days during winter (CENTRAL being the operative word here. People living 50ks up north, in the actual mountais, do get a fair bit of snow).
I'm sure as heck not buying a set of rims and tires for a twice-yearly situation, so I'm on UHP rubber year round. In fact, I am considering running Nankang NS2Rs for the street next since my Potenzas are shot and just lifting if I see standing water.

Since we're not used to any snow at all, the whole city implodes if and when a couple of inches of snow collects on the ground, so it's not big deal if you're late for or just miss work completely since apparently the average citizen moron isn't even expected to know how to put on snow chains...

On another note, I was in Switzerland a few of years ago and was given a 1-series 120d on winter tires as a rental. I was completely blown away by the amount of grip that thing could get on the snow, and having experienced that, if I were living in a snowy US state I would DEFINATELY get a set of winter rims&tires over a beater. Man that was FUN!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 09:30 AM   #72
HawkeyeGeoff
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335XI MSport, S2000

Garage List
#IworkforGM we definitely drive vehicles with 335 width snow tires all winter in our group.
Appreciate 1
detroitm22424.50
      12-10-2018, 09:58 AM   #73
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeGeoff View Post
#IworkforGM we definitely drive vehicles with 335 width snow tires all winter in our group.
Indeed.

PS. Hello Neighbor.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2018, 11:05 AM   #74
HawkeyeGeoff
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335XI MSport, S2000

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by laszlof View Post
Indeed.

PS. Hello Neighbor.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 11:35 AM   #75
m3jala
Captain
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Not a fan. Just not good enough as soon as the snow falls, even the wife noticed and she notices NOTHING handling wise but as soon as i put them on she was like "there's no grip in snow, where are my Michelin's".
I agree with you, and what I mean to say is not that these are the best tire, but they work well for my specific situation. If I lived further north or in say chicago, I wouldn't consider these suitable. DC has a lot of dry or wet days in the winter. I live close to my work, my wife has an SUV, so when it is bad out we just take the SUV which is literally, probably 5-10 days max in the year. So these do me well considering I keep some relative "performance" feel in the cold season and just utilize my other options when its full on ice and snow out.
Appreciate 1
Alfisti6435.00
      12-10-2018, 01:12 PM   #76
backhill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 & 2015 Sierra HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Where? Near Royal Oak or the Woodward corridor by chance?
Hello neighbor

The gas station at the northwest corner of 13/Woodward has a touch less wash.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9652.00
      12-10-2018, 01:14 PM   #77
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by backhill View Post
Hello neighbor

Nice! Good to know if I'm in that area!

Touchless washes are few and far between unfortunately. :/
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 01:23 PM   #78
backhill
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Are people really under the false belief that Winter category tires perform well in dry conditions? They simply do not. The sipes and soft compound makes for a dry conditions handling sacrifice I'm not willing to make. UHPAS category tires far outperform Winter tires in the dry. Even saying that, UHPAS feels like my car took off its track shoes for work boots when I swap out my summer rubber.

Winter tires are clearly the best option for snowy conditions, but I simply don't drive in snow often enough to warrant the sacrifice. I suspect that's the case for most people.

The argument that winter tires are bad in dry is a half-truth. They will definitely not handle as sharply as Pilot Super Sports in 70 degree weather with firm rubber/sidewalls. BUT they will maintain better overall traction in cold temperatures, both wet and dry than any AS or summer tire. This is due to the softer compound and siping. I'll take safety over being able to swing my car around 90 degree bends at 50mph for 3 months out of the year. You'll have less effective grip in all seasons in sub 30 degree weather.
Appreciate 2
10"4935.50
wdb4641.50
      12-10-2018, 01:24 PM   #79
backhill
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Extremely. There was a car wash at 23 mile and Hayes that had all the automatic spinning brushed and all that, but also had a touchless bay off to the side. It may still be there.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 01:39 PM   #80
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:

There's a good one on Walton blvd just west of I75, but who the h3ll is gonna drive all the way there.

Do you ever bring that ///M2 up to the M1 Concourse shows by chance?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 01:41 PM   #81
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhill View Post
Hello neighbor

Perfect I basically live and work right there. I just always assumed it's a cheap gas station auto wash.

I bought the Jax gift card set from Costco but I prefer to minimize how much I put my car through automatic washes.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 01:52 PM   #82
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
There's a good one on Walton blvd just west of I75, but who the h3ll is gonna drive all the way there.

Do you ever bring that ///M2 up to the M1 Concourse shows by chance?
I just got mine this year. Meant to make it up there last month or whenever they had that Mopar event, but some other priorities got in the way.

I'll be up there next year for certain, along with visits to Waterford Hills for HPDEs and OTDs.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9652.00
      12-10-2018, 02:05 PM   #83
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2pw

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...winter-safety/

I'm a big proponent of using snow tires in winter months to be able to enjoy my car year round. My M2 with Michelin Xice 3 rubber is quite capable in even the worst of storms. The idea of buying a beater never crosses my mind. The attached article proves that even the sportiest of cars, when equipped with proper tires, can still be fun in inclement weather conditions. Yes, the Corvette's performance was lacking, but it's still capable to get from point A to point B.
X-Ice amazing. RWD 340I. No issues, live outside Philly.
Appreciate 1
No Boost4019.00
      12-11-2018, 02:25 PM   #84
dubzz24
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
My argument is that this bias towards snowy conditions is foolish for most people because of the limited time spent driving in these conditions. I think people could argue the bias is justified, but to act like it isn't there is just ridiculous.
I think it's foolish to not adequately equip your vehicle with safety equipment (winter tires) if you're knowingly going to be exposed to winter driving conditions, regardless of if it's "only 5% of your winter driving."

If you have the ability to take alternate transportation on icy or snowy days then sure, leave the car at home. Many of us don't have that option, and don't want to put ourselves or others at risk.

Check out some of the comprehensive reviews on tirerack where they objectively test ultra high performance all seasons and benchmark a studless winter tire, and if memory serves, the stopping distance of the all season is nearly double the length of the winter tire.

I also, subjectively, think that the dry and wet grip of performance winter tires is perfectly adequate for street driving. They can carry my car faster around a corner than I have any right doing on a public road, in my opinion. Maybe your experience is with winter tires with a bias towards ultimate snow and ice grip (studless winter), versus performance winters.

FWIW last year I owned a 4x4 truck (with winter rated tires), and an Audi S5. The S5 had Conti DWS 06 tires, and braking ability on icy and packed snow covered roads was not acceptable to me. It was fine in the cold and wet while above freezing temperatures, but was not so fine in snow/ice.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 02:37 PM   #85
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Sport (Non M)

This thread went from interesting, to giving me cancer real quick. There's a reason in some provinces in Canada Winter tires are mandatory. not all seasons. Winter.

Yes winter tires are softer, but when its cold, they harden to a similar degree comparable to summers in summer. Get it?

its almost like stuff freezes or contracts in the cold.
2008 SGM 128i - 3 Stage IM - 130i Tune - Dinan Camber Plates - BMW PE - Injen Intake - 1M Mirrors - LCI Blacklines - M4 Spoiler - Blacked 263's - Aero Bumper - Aero Side Skirts - OMGSplitter - AFE Intake Scoops
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 03:46 PM   #86
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 519.E82 View Post
This thread went from interesting, to giving me cancer real quick.
Yeah, the topic focuses on performance/sports cars and the winter tires they're driven on. I knew when I created this thread that it may go off course with some of the endless, mind-numbing summer/winter rubber comparisons comments. Hopefully, it gets back on track.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 04:10 PM   #87
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

It really hasn't been clearly stated, but there are different kinds of winter tires. If you live in the northeast like I do, get the performance-oriented kind. They wear longer, work better in dry conditions, and don't feel as squishy in general as the real hardcore winter rubber. If you live where roads are snow- or ice-covered for a significant portion of the season, get the squishy ones -- and congratulate yourself with lurid 20-mph drifting action.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 04:27 PM   #88
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
It really hasn't been clearly stated, but there are different kinds of winter tires. If you live in the northeast like I do, get the performance-oriented kind. They wear longer, work better in dry conditions, and don't feel as squishy in general as the real hardcore winter rubber. If you live where roads are snow- or ice-covered for a significant portion of the season, get the squishy ones -- and congratulate yourself with lurid 20-mph drifting action.
Funny you mention this because that is what I've been thinking about Summer and UHPAS category tires too. There are variations of performance envelopes within a category. To say that the performance of UHPAS category tires as a whole drops off at a specific temperature is silly.

I'm done trying to open people's minds. I know what works for me and what doesn't. 🔚

Happy holidays!