XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-01-2022, 04:06 PM   #45
chaean
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35D, 2016 X1

Followed this post on my battery drain issue on X5 35d

Hi, I have had the same battery drain issue on my X5 35d (2012) that this original post by Mirob. I noticed that one of the comfort handle was warm to touch and so I followed the instructions posted in this forum and disconnected the wires to the handle. I didn't cut off the wires but just disconnected the handle from the socket after removing the handle. Then I tied the existing socket to the handle by a separate wire/string so that the socket does not fall into the door cavity. I will check if the battery drain message is gone when I start the car tomorrow. Thank you again for this post.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 08:02 PM   #46
chaean
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35D, 2016 X1

Just a note to say that my battery drain problem seems to be solved per my post above. It’s been more than a week and I have not had the High Drain Warning show up. Thank you, @mirob, again for the original post of the solution.

Last edited by chaean; 03-10-2022 at 10:45 AM..
Appreciate 1
mirob3005.00
      06-26-2022, 11:49 AM   #47
fixingstill
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Would bad (or going bad) door handle give any code if scanned by capable scanner?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 12:45 PM   #48
tomjonesBT33
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixingstill View Post
Would bad (or going bad) door handle give any code if scanned by capable scanner?
It did not in my case. Even after the handle failed, there was not error code other than the battery drain warning

I had the passenger rear door handle go bad and started getting the High Battery Drain warning. I checked each handle and found the bad handle to be very hot to the touch. Disconnected the wiring to the handle and no more warning error.

One more item to note: before the handle completely shorted out, I noticed that if I stood near that door (eg while filling the vehicle up with gas) and had the key in my pocket, the car would repeatedly lock and unlock over and over. Didn't happen when close to any other door. And doesn't happen now that I've disconnected that handle.
2017 X1 xDrive28i - Alpine White
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 08:09 AM   #49
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaean View Post
Just a note to say that my battery drain problem seems to be solved per my post above. It’s been more than a week and I have not had the High Drain Warning show up. Thank you, @mirob, again for the original post of the solution.
You're welcome. Glad it helped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixingstill View Post
Not that I'm aware.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 09:30 AM   #50
shootermcgav1n
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X35D

after much digging i'm glad i found this thread. just picked up a new to me '12 x5d and the CA driver door handle doesn't work, worse still it blew my fuse 132 (and would continue to blow through any new ones i put in) causing other issues. i finally "disconnected" that handle for the time being.

my main question at this point is (as i'm looking to replace the door handle): are the CA door handles specific to their location on the car? as in do you have to replace driver side front for the like, or could you swap in a driver side rear handle?

thanks in advance.

Last edited by shootermcgav1n; 08-15-2022 at 09:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 06:26 AM   #51
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootermcgav1n View Post
after much digging i'm glad i found this thread. just picked up a new to me '12 x5d and the CA driver door handle doesn't work, worse still it blew my fuse 132 (and would continue to blow through any new ones i put in) causing other issues. i finally "disconnected" that handle for the time being.

my main question at this point is (as i'm looking to replace the door handle): are the CA door handles specific to their location on the car? as in do you have to replace driver side front for the like, or could you swap in a driver side rear handle?

thanks in advance.
I've mixed and matched without any issues as long as it's on the same side.

I will note this however; for some reason my passenger front door handle will unlock all the doors while my driver front door handle will only unlock the driver door. I don't know if this is a programming issue due to the fact that the handle came off of a rear door or something else.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 08:16 PM   #52
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Will add to this thread: Was chasing this bug for sometime when noticed a thread on the F15 forums where a member posted his door window lock button was making an erratic connection and causing his not to go into sleep mode. I took mine out and cleaned it up with compressed air and have not had a high drain battery warning since, been about 3 months now. Strange fix but something easy to try if its not the comfort access issue causing it.
Appreciate 2
mirob3005.00
argento538.00
      05-31-2023, 09:22 AM   #53
mechatony11
Rep
Drives: toyota

I apologize for bringing up this old thread. I had a similar issue with my car, it turns out that I had a poor battery cable connection, the negative terminal was loose, so it caused the error message to appear. Cleaning the battery post from corrosion and re-tightening it made my car work properly. I did a lot of searches on this issue and came on in depth article which may be worth reading, search for " BMW Increased Battery Discharge on YOUCANIC" and you will see an article that goes over common causes and possible fixes, you can read about it yourself. I hope this information can assist someone else with a similar issue.
Appreciate 1
mirob3005.00
      11-29-2023, 03:12 PM   #54
alpctek
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Xdrive

2015 x5 Battery drain

I just removed all the comfort access connections from the doors and my battery is still draining. Has anyone experienced it being something else? I can hear something under the hood running. Maybe that's the sound of it not going to sleep. This is frustrating. Brand new battery, registered by BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 03:45 PM   #55
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpctek View Post
I just removed all the comfort access connections from the doors and my battery is still draining. Has anyone experienced it being something else? I can hear something under the hood running. Maybe that's the sound of it not going to sleep. This is frustrating. Brand new battery, registered by BMW.
This was strictly E70 related. The F generation might have a different issue I can't comment on.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 12:49 PM   #56
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpctek View Post
Check your roof drains. My rear drivers side was pinched off and dumping water into the little cubby in the trunk where the vents are.
      02-17-2024, 11:39 AM   #57
wcs531
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi / E70 X5d

Got the yellow battery light in the dash while starting this morning and the glow plugs were doing their thing in the cold weather. Ended up taking a bit of a shortcut by using a $15 infrared thermometer that I had on hand.

It is possible the sun may have warmed the one door handle more than the others, but I feel like the snow would have melted nearby if so. Plus the same handle that was warmer than the others also acts a little funky in wet weather so I'm almost positive its the problem one. Disconnected it to hopefully confirm its the issue.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2