XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-17-2022, 01:40 PM   #1
Pindersk
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35D

Trunk Lid Not Fully Closing

The other day, the open trunk lid message popped up and I noticed that the trunk lid does not fully close. It will latch but not fully seat so the lights in the cargo area will remain on. I can fit the tip of my finger under the lip when it is "closed".

I tried adjusting the stops on either side of the lid which did not change anything. Sitting inside the cargo area, it looks like there is a gap on the passenger side and no gap on the driver side.

I tried adjusting the latch bar on the lower tailgate but the left bolt just spins and does not get tight while the right side will. I assume this may be a problem, but not sure if that's the only thing. Anyone know the part number for this latch bar or if I can just repair what I have?

Any suggestions to where to look next? Appreciate the help!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 04:51 PM   #2
Pindersk
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35D

For any that are interested, the part number for the this part is 51-24-7-233-909 and it's called the closing assist unit for the rear hatch. ECS has them for $385.

Ended up taking part the tailgate and found that I had stripped the casting for the bolt and this was the reason it just spun. Wasn't going to spend $400 since the unit still works so I used an M8 bolt with a lock washer to lock this in place. Not as convenient if I need to adjust, so I'm hoping I never have to. May add blue thread locker to help hold it. Will drive around a bit before installing the covers again.

With this unit set in place, I played around with the bump stops and now have a rear hatch that closes completely.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 10:24 AM   #3
BXMMMMMW
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5M

Garage List
2011 BMX X5M  [0.00]
I've had to adjust mine a few times as they seem to loosen/move over time.
Appreciate 0