XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-31-2022, 07:19 PM   #1
tomjonesBT33
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Roadster

Garage List
There are tons of threads about various ECU tunes (actual remaps) and power adder 'boxes' (inline with DME to fake sensor/signals to/from the DME) available for the E70 X5M. And there are just about as many opinions as to which is best and why…

I want to add an ECU remap (not a box) and keep my X5M stock otherwise, ie, stock cats, muffler, etc. I will probably replace the paper panel filters with K&N or BMS. But that's it. I'm not going to track it or drag race. Basically, I want to take advantage of the margin that BMW has built into the S63 factory tune and free up some torque/HP that is suppressed.

I talked with Velos but $2200 for a Stage 1 is just way too $$$. ESS is $1000. AA is $1000. VF is $900.

$300 for a Dinan tune seems like a no brainer, but I'm looking for feedback from those that actually run (or have ran) the Dinan Stage 1 tune.

If Dinan is junk, then my next choice would be AA or VF engineering. Their plots show nice torque bump across most all of the rev range. Same for these - feedback welcomed if you have or had Stage 1 AA or VF.

Looking for feedback. Thanks.
2017 X1 xDrive28i - Alpine White
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 08:50 PM   #2
bimmahh
Rep
Drives: X5 35i 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjonesBT33 View Post
There are tons of threads about various ECU tunes (actual remaps) and power adder 'boxes' (inline with DME to fake sensor/signals to/from the DME) available for the E70 X5M. And there are just about as many opinions as to which is best and why…

I want to add an ECU remap (not a box) and keep my X5M stock otherwise, ie, stock cats, muffler, etc. I will probably replace the paper panel filters with K&N or BMS. But that's it. I'm not going to track it or drag race. Basically, I want to take advantage of the margin that BMW has built into the S63 factory tune and free up some torque/HP that is suppressed.

I talked with Velos but $2200 for a Stage 1 is just way too $$$. ESS is $1000. AA is $1000. VF is $900.

$300 for a Dinan tune seems like a no brainer, but I'm looking for feedback from those that actually run (or have ran) the Dinan Stage 1 tune.

If Dinan is junk, then my next choice would be AA or VF engineering. Their plots show nice torque bump across most all of the rev range. Same for these - feedback welcomed if you have or had Stage 1 AA or VF.

Looking for feedback. Thanks.
I don't have an //M but a 35i. I recently did the Dinan stage 2 tune (https://www.dinancars.com/products/s...parts/D900-31T) and it was well worth it in my opinion. The throttle response was greatly improved especially on the low end. The hp/tp per $ was a no brainer. BTW, mine is a 2012 with 49k miles if that matters.

I also replaced the charge pipe at the same time but more for peace of mine vs any performance gains since it's plastic vs aluminum.

If you are in NoVa I could share where I got mine done.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2022, 05:35 AM   #3
tomjonesBT33
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmahh View Post

If you are in NoVa I could share where I got mine done.
I am in NoVA. I was thinking of the DIY kit. But let me know who you used - I'll see what they charge. Thanks

Tom
2017 X1 xDrive28i - Alpine White
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 06:45 AM   #4
bimmahh
Rep
Drives: X5 35i 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjonesBT33 View Post
I am in NoVA. I was thinking of the DIY kit. But let me know who you used - I'll see what they charge. Thanks

Tom
Not affiliated but this is who I used, near Dulles - https://www.rrtautomotive.com/

Let me know how it goes post install..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 10:14 PM   #5
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i,E70 X5M,E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmahh View Post
throttle response was greatly improved
My biggest love for my 135i (Cobb St1) and my biggest gripe on my X5M (Stock, AFAIK).
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 04:43 PM   #6
trillypop
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M

Had the Dinan tune for a very short period. Found it to be very lackluster. Didn't really notice much difference. Dinan also has some of the worst customer support I've ever experienced in the automotive industry. Then went for a Velos tune and it's awesome. Buy once, cry once. It's cheap for a reason.
Appreciate 1