XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-05-2018, 12:51 PM   #23
sunny_j
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
It's very possible that the handle that stopped working is not the one draining your battery. You may have another one on it's way out.

Easiest way to find out if that's the culprit would be to disconnect all of them. If you don't get the warning, start plugging them in one at a time and see which one is messing up.
I discounted the nonworking handle yesterday morning. If I still get the error I will unplug them all and start adding them one by one.

Build Thread
https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1529213
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 01:09 PM   #24
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_j View Post
I discounted the nonworking handle yesterday morning. If I still get the error I will unplug them all and start adding them one by one.
Ahhh, I got you. I thought you already disconnected the dead one and got a warning again.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 03:25 PM   #25
vpnwiz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Thanks for these tips. Good stuff, did not know it was so easy to remove the door handle. Now to find some cheap handles to get CA working again.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 03:27 PM   #26
sunny_j
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpnwiz View Post
Thanks for these tips. Good stuff, did not know it was so easy to remove the door handle. Now to find some cheap handles to get CA working again.
Let us know when you find the cheap handles
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 11:10 PM   #27
joebarthlow
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 xdrive35i

oh boy!

Just picked a 2013 X5 on Saturday and my wife reports tonight she has a "high battery drain" error code. Looks like I'm in the right place
      03-28-2018, 10:46 PM   #28
joebarthlow
United_States
Rep

I don't have an owners manual yet (in the mail). is there something out there that can tell me what the Comfort Access is? how it works?

Also, what happens if I ignore the battery drain warning? will it kill the battery?

Sorry, I just got this 2013 X5 a few days ago.

thanks
      03-29-2018, 07:00 AM   #29
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebarthlow View Post
I don't have an owners manual yet (in the mail). is there something out there that can tell me what the Comfort Access is? how it works?

Also, what happens if I ignore the battery drain warning? will it kill the battery?

Sorry, I just got this 2013 X5 a few days ago.

thanks
I'm sure you could find a more detailed description on YT, but in a nutshell; it allows you to lock/unlock doors, open tailgate, and start vehicle with key in close proximity to vehicle (i.e., pocket).

Not sure how it will affect the battery but I can't imagine it's in a positive way, hence the warning.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 12:08 PM   #30
joebarthlow
United_States
Rep

OK, got my owner's manual in the mail. Brushed up on Comfort Access some. Here's my findings so far:

Based on what I have read in this thread, I randomly checked, by touch, all four handles in the evening after the vehicle has been sitting for several hours. the driver's handle felt a little warm compared to the other three, which were cold.

Last night, upon learning a little about how CA is supposed to work, I discovered the driver's handle doesn't work when attempting to use CA.

Based on those two items and the findings of this thread, is it safe to assume the driver's handle is the source of the battery drain?

I'm not getting battery drain warning consistently, just randomly after it sits for the night or most of the day.
      04-03-2018, 12:11 PM   #31
sunny_j
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
OK, got my owner's manual in the mail. Brushed up on Comfort Access some. Here's my findings so far:

Based on what I have read in this thread, I randomly checked, by touch, all four handles in the evening after the vehicle has been sitting for several hours. the driver's handle felt a little warm compared to the other three, which were cold.

Last night, upon learning a little about how CA is supposed to work, I discovered the driver's handle doesn't work when attempting to use CA.

Based on those two items and the findings of this thread, is it safe to assume the driver's handle is the source of the battery drain?

I'm not getting battery drain warning consistently, just randomly after it sits for the night or most of the day.
I would take the rear drivers door handle and install that in the front. Take the non working front handle and install it in the rear and don't plug the antenna back in.

Build Thread
https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1529213
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 12:25 PM   #32
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Based on the facts that it's warm (when the other ones aren't) and that it doesn't work, I'd say it seems likely that it's the culprit.

The next step would be to disconnect that handle and see if you get the warning in the next few days, where you know you normally would.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 01:57 PM   #33
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

I just ordered a new handle and will get it installed at the dealer since they are VIN specific I was told. I guess the swap from front to back would work too.....
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 10:26 AM   #34
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

UPDATE:

Over the last couple of days, the driver side CA handle has been working intermittently. Finally, got a warning in the HUD. "Increased Battery Discharge." Pulled the handle and no warning the next day. I can no longer say, with confidence, that one warning is more specific than the other (High Battery Drain vs. Increased Battery Discharge).

Anyhow, I was fine with having only two working handles in the front but now that one is out, I definitely want to replace it. Anyone find any decently priced solutions?

On EBay they're somewhere between $100 and $175 (shipped) but hard to trust that the handle is working and still would have to paint a used handle if it's not your body color.

All other outlets sell them new between $220 and $300, primed. So still have to paint that too.

May take my chances with EBay. Let me know if you found a different/better option.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 03:45 PM   #35
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
UPDATE:

Over the last couple of days, the driver side CA handle has been working intermittently. Finally, got a warning in the HUD. "Increased Battery Discharge." Pulled the handle and no warning the next day. I can no longer say, with confidence, that one warning is more specific than the other (High Battery Drain vs. Increased Battery Discharge).

Anyhow, I was fine with having only two working handles in the front but now that one is out, I definitely want to replace it. Anyone find any decently priced solutions?

On EBay they're somewhere between $100 and $175 (shipped) but hard to trust that the handle is working and still would have to paint a used handle if it's not your body color.

All other outlets sell them new between $220 and $300, primed. So still have to paint that too.

May take my chances with EBay. Let me know if you found a different/better option.
411 dollars including tax recently installed at dealer, perfectly matching color. Both battery warnings are gone.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 09:21 AM   #36
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Ordered one on EBay from Russia. Space gray, however so have to get it painted. It was $102 shipped.

UPDATE: Shop wanted $40 to paint in body color, $140 to match body paint. I went for the cheaper option. So, all in, I'm about $140 deep, six weeks later still working fine...

Last edited by mirob; 06-11-2018 at 07:27 AM.. Reason: Update.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 12:13 PM   #37
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Gatoferoz25
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 03:04 AM   #38
Qarban
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 and E70 X5M

Glad I found this thread! Thank you!!!

My 2011's rear driver side handle feels warm and sometimes hot but no battery drain warning yet. I'm more worried about the vehicle catching fire so I will just disconnect it since I also don't use rear doors CA to unlock the car.
Appreciate 1
mirob2944.50
      08-21-2019, 07:24 AM   #39
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Just bought an x5d and have been getting this message when it sits for awhile overnight. Doesn't seem like anything serious as it's sat for three days at a time and starts up no problem. I don't have CA so I started with leaving the x5 unlocked overnight last night, started it this morning and got no high battery drain message. Not really sure where I go from here lol since everyones issue is CA related...

So does anyone know where I should look next as far as narrowing down what I need to replace to fix this issue?
      08-06-2020, 04:53 PM   #40
Greg Z.
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlax View Post
I also put a wire tie loop on the cable so I could easily hook it to pull it out again in the future. I noticed right off that I wasn't going to be able to put my fingers back in to grab it. Just a tip!
This thread has been a life saver! I have a question. How did you put the little piece of rubber back into the holes without ripping the rubber? (The rubber that needed to be removed to access the T15.)

I've tried everything without luck and getting ready to jam a screwdriver in it!

Any help is appreciated and thanks again for this great thread!
Appreciate 1
mirob2944.50
      10-11-2021, 02:39 PM   #41
Nanette
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xdrive40i

Question

I've been getting the high battery drain warning and my two front CA handles do not work. The driver side handle has been warm. Yesterday, my handle stopped being warm but now my bluetooth, two working CA handles, radio, and keyless start do not work. Do you think the short circuited handle could have blown the fuse?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 12:49 PM   #42
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanette View Post
I've been getting the high battery drain warning and my two front CA handles do not work. The driver side handle has been warm. Yesterday, my handle stopped being warm but now my bluetooth, two working CA handles, radio, and keyless start do not work. Do you think the short circuited handle could have blown the fuse?
Sorry for the late reply, I hardly frequent this side of Bimmerpost anymore...

Anyhow, yeah, that's what it sounds like to me. Here's what stopped working when I pulled that fuse.

"I also pulled the fuse for the CAS (#132 in trunk). NOTE: Disconnecting this fuse will also disable your speakers, Bluetooth, warning gong, radio, etc. so don't panic if that happens."

If the same things aren't working for you, I would definitely start with the fuse.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 01:46 PM   #43
vadersrevenge76
Rep
Drives: X5 F70

I just picked up a 2012 X5 and have the same drain message. I am new to these vehicles and am curious what is the Comfort Access on the handles and how do I tell if one is not working? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 02:46 PM   #44
jgregg
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw x5m

i drive black screen

i have a 2013 bmw x5m. this morning i started the car and the screen was black and radion dosent work my boy when using car last thought he might of leaned on i drive button any ideas how to get it and radio and nav to work
Appreciate 0