XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-20-2022, 08:39 PM   #1
ryansbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35i M-Sport, 2010 535x

Front driveshaft recall replacement

I’ll eventually call the dealer about this but figured I would see if I could get any information here.

When I purchased my X5 a few years ago, it had already had the driveshaft replaced under recall. While getting an oil change today, the tech was walking around the car inspecting everything and noticed there is play in the front driveshaft again and will eventually need to be replaced.

Does anyone know if the replacement driveshafts had any sort of extended warranty on them or if this would somehow fall back under recall? Or am I out of luck and will need to pay this one out of pocket?
      01-25-2022, 05:48 AM   #2
jaitoon
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X6 50i

I believe the issue for the recall was a torn boot. The failure rate was due to the Drive Shaft becoming contaminated and failing because of the torn boot, hence the recall. In your case , it may very well be a poor installation to begin with, when they did the recall.
"Water and debris may enter the front driveshaft's universal joint, causing excessive wear and possibly resulting in the joint's failure" (NHTSA website).
They have a document updated on March 2nd 2017, so it wont hurt to ask your SA if there is an extended warranty on this.
Appreciate 0