XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

12-28-2009, 05:22 AM   #1
m3_p0wer
Private
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Angry ok again another promblem with the x6

so here we go again with the x6 again another problem after a list of problems that i had ,, so i took the car for a normal service 30k .. they gave me a call to tell me that the oil in my car is slugged and they are figuring out if the camshaft is damaged or not !!! if not the will just clean it if its damaged they should change some parts in the engine and the camshaft !! they told me you could have been broken your engine if you drove it more and i have to wait for minimum 3 weeks

i am really disappointed with the x6 it has so many problems ?? and i rarely drive the car i have for 1 and half year ..

problems faced : engine noise , dashboard retelling , engine fault , fuel pump replaced , and now this problem i am really getting annoyed by this car since my friends also facing so many problems with the x6 also ...
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 07:38 AM   #2
Skywagon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X6 3.5

How often did you change oil?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 07:50 AM   #3
m3_p0wer
Private
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

i changed it back on the 1st service on the dealer !! it was before 1 year i think but its normal because the service after 15k or more i think
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 10:31 AM   #4
Skywagon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X6 3.5

For what it's worth, despite what BMW says and despite it being synthetic oil I change mine every 5000 miles. I know it's too late for you but, having lived in the middle east for almost a year once, I realize the conditions over there are considerably tougher than in Europe or the USA. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 03:30 PM   #5
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon View Post
For what it's worth, despite what BMW says and despite it being synthetic oil I change mine every 5000 miles. I know it's too late for you but, having lived in the middle east for almost a year once, I realize the conditions over there are considerably tougher than in Europe or the USA. Good luck.
Yes,thats true,very good point.....however i will be angry as well!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 05:48 PM   #6
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Electronic engine monitor?

Does the manual say we have to change oil at specific intervals?
Or that iDrive adjusts service requirements, depending on owner's individual driving conditions dictate?
So if the engine monitoring in iDrive didn't give you any warning, it would be under warranty.
Either way it's a hassle.
30Kkm in 18 Months is about average. I've slightly less mileage & i'm constantly checking oil lvl in iDrive as i drive. So far i've added 1 lt. before the 1st service @ 15kkm & another ltr. @ 21kkm. According 2 iDrive, I 'm due for 1 in another 7000km.
Now I should take it in early.

Last edited by archwerks; 12-28-2009 at 06:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 03:22 AM   #7
gfoo
Rep
Drives: E89

imho bmw's 15k intervals are way too long. i would run in till 1000k, whack it hard to 'clear carbon', then change to a fully synthetic PAO oil with a moly additive. my self imposed service intervals are 5000km and to the oil i dictate at the dealers (bmw uses semisyn castrol rebranded for them). NB that my conditions are severe, 100% start-stop city driving, and i drive real hard

i've been doing this for every car that i own
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 03:43 AM   #8
keanu1
tiamat
Romania
Rep
Drives: 525 d

hmmm!! my lease is over in january so i was thinking abot an x6 xdrive 35d , but with so many problems i don't know!! Maybe i'll just keep my e60 for now!!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 10:28 AM   #9
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by keanu1 View Post
hmmm!! my lease is over in january so i was thinking abot an x6 xdrive 35d , but with so many problems i don't know!! Maybe i'll just keep my e60 for now!!
BMW has few issues. Most cars in general have few issues.

However, when people have complaints, they find forums like this to complain. No one comes to a forum if they have no issues. So it seems like things are worse than they are.

On average Lexus has 1.5 issues per 100 cars. BMW has about 2 issues per 100 cars built. Some of the cars obviously have more issues than others. Some cars have no issues. It is the luck of the draw.

Also, I think forums exacerbate problems. For example, if someone gets an iDrive software update to fix a glitch, someone else who never had/noticed the issues runs to the dealer claiming the same issue even though they never noticed it.

Forums are a great source of information. However, if you are not careful, you will log out feeling bad about your car thinking you made the wrong decision. You can go to any forum, even Lexus, and see posts littered with complaints.

Life is too short to fret over a car. You will have issues, but you also made the choice to buy one of the most technically advanced cars on the road. If you want trouble free driving, buy a Toyota Corolla with no options.
      12-29-2009, 10:28 AM   #10
watoowatoo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 35i X6

Quote:
I'm ex E60 owner and it was a nice ride. The X6 though is just sweet. 23K and Zero problems for me so far!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 05:54 PM   #11
keanu1
tiamat
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by watoowatoo View Post
I'm ex E60 owner and it was a nice ride. The X6 though is just sweet. 23K and Zero problems for me so far!
Wich one do you liked most?!? E60 or x6?!?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 08:26 PM   #12
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post

However, when people have complaints, they find forums like this to complain. No one comes to a forum if they have no issues. So it seems like things are worse than they are.

On average Lexus has 1.5 issues per 100 cars. BMW has about 2 issues per 100 cars built. Some of the cars obviously have more issues than others. Some cars have no issues. It is the luck of the draw.

Also, I think forums exacerbate problems. For example, if someone gets an iDrive software update to fix a glitch, someone else who never had/noticed the issues runs to the dealer claiming the same issue even though they never noticed it.

Forums are a great source of information. However, if you are not careful, you will log out feeling bad about your car thinking you made the wrong decision. You can go to any forum, even Lexus, and see posts littered with complaints.

Life is too short to fret over a car. You will have issues, but you also made the choice to buy one of the most technically advanced cars on the road. If you want trouble free driving, buy a Toyota Corolla with no options.

+1
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 09:29 PM   #13
DrEvil
In charge of Evil Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6 5.0

Garage List
2009 911 Targa 4S  [0.00]
2008 335xi cpe  [0.00]
2007 530xi  [0.00]
2006 Mustang  [0.00]
2001 Audi A8  [0.00]
1997 Subaru SVX  [0.00]
1985 Mustang  [0.00]
1982 Mustang II  [0.00]
+10
I think you have to put up with a little german-engineering finickiness. The upgraded suspension on this latest round of bimmers is a technical marvel. Sometimes it breaks. Same with Audi and M-B. For some reason, Porsche much less so.

BTW, this all relates back to why we won WWII: far-superior german panzer against assembly-line Sherman tanks. The panzer could kill the shermans all day, um, until it broke down, or got outnumbered, or we bombed some special lubricant factor denying the panzer its transmission fluid.
--- Nav/USB/PDC/Sport/Premium/Cold Wthr|Yokohama ADVAN Sport|Raptor plates ---> SOLD
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 11:13 PM   #14
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEvil View Post
+10
I think you have to put up with a little german-engineering finickiness. The upgraded suspension on this latest round of bimmers is a technical marvel. Sometimes it breaks. Same with Audi and M-B. For some reason, Porsche much less so.

BTW, this all relates back to why we won WWII: far-superior german panzer against assembly-line Sherman tanks. The panzer could kill the shermans all day, um, until it broke down, or got outnumbered, or we bombed some special lubricant factor denying the panzer its transmission fluid.

I think it's like Chuck said in every car line a certain amount will have issues but most will not. I'm at 20k and other than the initial "wrong battery" and all of it's symptoms I haven't had major issues.

Of course none of this matters when it's you that has the issues and you're just pissed off having spent $100k on a new car and it's broke. I am sympathetic to the anger.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 03:04 PM   #15
watoowatoo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 35i X6

Quote:
Wich one do you liked most?!? E60 or x6?!?
After a year with X6 I am still having fun and enjoying the ride every time I get in. Although 5 is great car I wouldn't want to go back to E60. Specially that the new 5 is coming soon too.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2010, 08:39 PM   #16
keanu1
tiamat
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post

I owned only bmw's so i could never buy a toyota!!! i had 6 bmw untill now so i try to figure out witch model of bmw to buy now!!!
I'm thinking m3 or x6 and i will also keep my 5 series !!
Appreciate 0