XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Engine / Exhaust / Drivetrain Modification

11-21-2018, 08:43 AM   #23
9vapors
Major
Rep
Drives: CB X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxpeter View Post
Install them yet? I just put a pair on and it was the biggest pain the ass. Sure sound nice though
Agreed, I did install them, it took me 2 days of many hours because I couldn't get the right side to line up right to get the vband on. But yeah, sounds great, got my Velos tune installed and love it! For the price, these were great!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 09:51 AM   #24
pdxpeter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M50, 1991 E30 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9vapors View Post
Agreed, I did install them, it took me 2 days of many hours because I couldn't get the right side to line up right to get the vband on. But yeah, sounds great, got my Velos tune installed and love it! For the price, these were great!
Thats about how long it took me. We had to trim the lower flange to make it fit.

Break any studs? I had 2 snap off requiring more time to fix.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 11:05 AM   #25
do_0b
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 M

Garage List
2010 BMW X6M  [0.00]
what brand downpipes (if any) would be have an OEM fitment where you just bolt on and not require any modifications?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 01:19 PM   #26
9vapors
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by do_0b View Post
what brand downpipes (if any) would be have an OEM fitment where you just bolt on and not require any modifications?
My problem was that I had bolts welded in on the bottom, but they weren't welded straight... i had to keep taking them off and hammering the bolts to straighten them to fit the lower flange. If they had been welded straight, it would have been much easier. Also, the flex flange helped. If I had a second set of hands to push down while I pulled up, and a third set to screw the vband down all at the same time, it would have gone easier. That and a lift and a real mechanic and correct tools. here was my install thread... I don't have any pics, but you can see the bolts welded in on another users pipes. The ULtimate Racing ones come with studs and supposedly fit 100% perfect. But they're 2x more than the VRSF ones.
Downpipe Install https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1537226
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 01:27 PM   #27
do_0b
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 M

Garage List
2010 BMW X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
My problem was that I had bolts welded in on the bottom, but they weren't welded straight... i had to keep taking them off and hammering the bolts to straighten them to fit the lower flange. If they had been welded straight, it would have been much easier. Also, the flex flange helped. If I had a second set of hands to push down while I pulled up, and a third set to screw the vband down all at the same time, it would have gone easier. That and a lift and a real mechanic and correct tools.
haha i see i see
the downpipes are on sale right now for $404.99 ahhhh so tempted
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 04:18 PM   #28
pdxpeter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M50, 1991 E30 vert

I was going to weld the bolts on but used a locking washer instead. The drivers side is certainly a bitch to get to. Even with a lift it still took way too long.

Id recommend folks use at least 50mm bolts and measure the flange to make sure its not too wide. Tap the vband as you tighten it to get the best fit and lessen the risk of harming the band. A pipe wrench can help give leverage for lining up the pipe to the turbo.

Have you found that the exhaust smells a lot? I can't tell if its the wrap off-gassing or if I have an actual leak. There are no leaking sounds.

Last edited by pdxpeter; 11-21-2018 at 06:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 01:17 PM   #29
NicksM
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M

Quote:
My problem was that I had bolts welded in on the bottom, but they weren't welded straight... i had to keep taking them off and hammering the bolts to straighten them to fit the lower flange. If they had been welded straight, it would have been much easier. Also, the flex flange helped. If I had a second set of hands to push down while I pulled up, and a third set to screw the vband down all at the same time, it would have gone easier. That and a lift and a real mechanic and correct tools. here was my install thread... I don't have any pics, but you can see the bolts welded in on another users pipes. The ULtimate Racing ones come with studs and supposedly fit 100% perfect. But they're 2x more than the VRSF ones.
I know its been a while since you posted this but I had a question regarding O2 sensor fitment. is the placing the same a the original downpipes so that you can use the factory heatshield and connect the O2 directly to the harness?

I bought Racing Dynamic headers about 2 years ago and found out the had horrible fitment and O2 sensor where not place in the correct position. making me some what use an harness extender to connect from the original engine harness to the O2 sensor and I still get the check engine light because of this, and now im looking to get rid of them and install something that fits correctly.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 08:26 PM   #30
9vapors
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksM View Post
Quote:
I know its been a while since you posted this but I had a question regarding O2 sensor fitment. is the placing the same a the original downpipes so that you can use the factory heatshield and connect the O2 directly to the harness?

I bought Racing Dynamic headers about 2 years ago and found out the had horrible fitment and O2 sensor where not place in the correct position. making me some what use an harness extender to connect from the original engine harness to the O2 sensor and I still get the check engine light because of this, and now im looking to get rid of them and install something that fits correctly.
Yes, they perfectly line up, but that's about it for the VRSF pipes. They were a huge pain to install and took a lot of extra time because of the poor fitment. I still have an exhaust leak and I'm going to be upgrading soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 12:14 PM   #31
pearlpower
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

I have the RM Racing downpipes from Poland, purchased through Ebay for under $600. Great fitment, no issues. Used new gaskets and wrapped up really nice. The drivers side front O2 bung was a tad off, but easily fit through the hole on the top shield. I just could not use the factory steel 'cup' on the drivers side, instead using left over wrap material. Other than that, no problems whatsoever. These are the same used in this video:

Appreciate 0