XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Engine / Exhaust / Drivetrain Modification

06-03-2020, 11:17 AM   #45
dumitru.o
coding BMW.....
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW

indeed a JBBF3R is also needed. i replaced that along with the CIC retrofit
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 02:36 PM   #46
Kissvesala
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 e71

I have cic retrofit also, but i usualy use pdc activator for those i have installed. Now i dont need emulator anymore, but i need to wired pdc.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 02:41 PM   #47
Kissvesala
Rep

Robinasu. About those codes 63dd and 62d6 they are dsc interface. Only thing is to run longitudinal calibration to dsc with ista.

Now i have extra parts on stock. If someone need radar and ldm i can sell them.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 11:50 PM   #48
robinasu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E70 BMW X5d

Nice

Guys, I'm loving all the activity here. Thanks for the updates. Today I received the ACC SZL and installed. When you swap out the SZL make sure the battery is disconnected when the airbag is disconnected.

Anyway, I got the SZL installed and calibrated but I still have the two DSC errors and sometimes the DSC complains about the pressure sensor but after I run the calibration the pressure sensor error goes away. I thought I reset the DSC long sensor, but maybe I missed that part.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 11:52 PM   #49
robinasu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissvesala View Post
Robinasu. About those codes 63dd and 62d6 they are dsc interface. Only thing is to run longitudinal calibration to dsc with ista.

Now i have extra parts on stock. If someone need radar and ldm i can sell them.
Hi Kissvesala, are you saying after running the longitudinal calibration and they should go away, or are you saying that is something to try? I ordered the new ACC DSC hydro unit and it arrives next week.

Last edited by robinasu; 06-05-2020 at 12:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 12:02 AM   #50
robinasu
Private First Class
Rep

Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumitru.o View Post
hi guys,

i am sorry i didn t posted lately in this topic but there are lots of questions and is very hard to follow/answer....i will try to sum it up what i know and hopefully you can get most of your questions from it

first of all, i did this retrofit on an E70 2008 3.0D with Cruise Control with Braking function and Active Steering.

i replaced the SZL (to have the ACC stalk), the KOMBI (because i found one nice from X5M - downside***** is that you can t get the ACC info on it ->you only can see it in the HUD), the FRM (replaced before for LCI retrofit), used ACC sensor (new bracket), used LDM module

i updated all the modules to the latest sw level (except the KOMBI i think) then change the year in the VO to LCI (or at least one that could accept $5DF) and added $5DF to the VO then coded the car

bear in mint that the process was not that simple and that i did lots of trial and error before getting to the expected result

a wrong combination of date and SA code in the VO will give you an error on NCS so if you get to that, check all the SA coded you have in the VO, one of them might not be compatible to the new date (LCI) you wrote into your VO

there are other (at least) two key points you should have in mind when going for this retrofit:

1. E70 and E71 are not 100% identical cars and you should investigate deeper into TIS for your specific model and especially for your specific year and optional

The ACC requires an ICM control unit (Integrated Chassis Management) or an LDM control unit (Longitudinal Dynamics Management) in addition to the ACC control unit. These control unit are then installed as follows:

In the X6 an LDM control unit is installed as well as the ACC control unit. In addition, there is also another ICM control unit which is not however used for the ACC function!
In the X5 an LDM control unit is installed as well as the ACC control unit.
On all other vehicles, an ICM control unit is installed as well as the ACC control unit.

The Active Cruise Control with Stop&Go function has been available since 2007. The Stop&Go function expands the familiar Active Cruise Control feature by the following functions:

more here: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ntrol/BIQgK4xr

2. the DSC module is only one on the E70 non LCI and two distinct DSC modules on the LCI models from 04.2010 (with or without 5DF)

https://bimmercat.com/bmw/en/search/...N2/ECE/34_1601

i will return with more info once i retrieve them

DSC interface error is usually because of wrong coding or because of wrong module but for the retrofit to ACC i still suggest the DSC is not needed if the car had 544 (for non LCI cars i mean)
Ok, you and Kiss are both saying LCI cars need the new DSC hydro unit with "ACC" written on the label- glad I found one a couple days ago and it will arrive next week.

I also installed and wired the active steering module. The next time you are at the car it would be cool if you can note which SW is loaded on the active steering module and your DSC. When powered up, my active steering module complains a lot about the DSC. I did upgrade it to the latest software, but I'm wondering if that was a bad thing as I was looking in the daten config files and for platform ZW03 the last active steering software version was a couple ZUSB numbers behind the final ZUSB. Keep in mind I did not have the rack installed or connected and have not performed the active steering setup. I want to confirm the software will work before I drop the subframe. lol
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 03:50 PM   #51
robinasu
Private First Class
Rep

Another question I have is if modules must have matching VINs. I read something where the active steering module might check the VIN, but not sure about that.

Also, just to be complete, I swapped in $541 into the vehicle order to see what would happen - same two "vehicle interface" errors. It's so weird the ACC option needs a different hydro block in LCI cars. The $544 option already has the brake function, so it has a pressure sensor in there. ISTA-P seems to look at more than the VO as it initializes. The car integration level must be determined somehow or is saved on a module(s). I'll poke around the new hydro unit/DSC ECU when it arrives.

Last edited by robinasu; 06-05-2020 at 03:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 02:08 PM   #52
Poms
Registered
Rep
Drives: E93

The $5DF Retrofit is done

So i received today my FRM3R.

I changed it, upgraded it and coded it to my car. Then, i checked if there was fault on LDM and nothing : VERY GOOD.

Then i try the car on the road and it works fine.

So for doing this retrofit for a E70/E71 before 2011, we need :
  1. DSC pump with ACC function
  2. The front ACC sensor (FRR)
  3. The SZL with the ACC function
  4. The LDM module
  5. FRM3R (Footwell Module)
  6. JBBF3R (Junction box)

Thank you for your help.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 08:10 PM   #53
robinasu
Private First Class
Rep

Hey Poms, that is great. Glad you got it going.

My new DSC arrived but the junk yard got the part number wrong, so I still need an ACC enabled DSC hydro block.

If anyone has an ACC DSC hydroblock/pump please let me know.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 03:20 AM   #54
Kissvesala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poms View Post
So i received today my FRM3R.

I changed it, upgraded it and coded it to my car. Then, i checked if there was fault on LDM and nothing : VERY GOOD.

Then i try the car on the road and it works fine.

So for doing this retrofit for a E70/E71 before 2011, we need :
  1. DSC pump with ACC function
  2. The front ACC sensor (FRR)
  3. The SZL with the ACC function
  4. The LDM module
  5. FRM3R (Footwell Module)
  6. JBBF3R (Junction box)

Thank you for your help.
Are u sure about frm3r? I have it but i dont have vdm on it, so i have thinking change frm2 vdm back to car.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 11:06 AM   #55
Poms
Registered
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissvesala View Post
Are u sure about frm3r? I have it but i dont have vdm on it, so i have thinking change frm2 vdm back to car.
Yes because with frm2, you will have a fault on LDM (CE6C Doors sensor status from frm).

With my frm3 no issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 11:52 AM   #56
Kissvesala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poms View Post
Yes because with frm2, you will have a fault on LDM (CE6C Doors sensor status from frm).

With my frm3 no issue.
This issue was also with old jbbf. Do u know differences within frm3r and frm3r vdm. I have edc shocks but no any fault code with non vdm frm3r
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 01:17 AM   #57
Nothanks
Rep
Drives: X5D

how much does the SZL part number matter?

Here is a question for those of you who have gotten into this with a working ACC solution:

My question has to do with the SZL, steering switches/clock spring combo:

?Does it matter which clock spring assy you have so long as you have the correct cruise control stalk installed?

For the LCI model steering wheels WITHOUT paddle shifters, I see 3 different part numbers listed and I can’t reconcile why there are three based upon the wiring diagrams.

I see 61319203106, and 107, and 108. These are called out as different p/ns based upon which option sets you might have: S248A, S521A, S541A, S5ADA, S5DFA

The only physical differentiator that I can see has to do with whether or not the unit supports a heated steering wheel option. The clock spring connector at the 4-o’clock position, or 8-o’clock if looking at the back, is different. I can’t see anything else different among the options. That connector appears to go with the clock spring and the ACC cruise stalk uses the same connector that all of the other stalks use, which appears to be the same across all p/ns.

Can anyone confirm if one can keep all other pieces intact on the steering column and install ONLY the cruise control stalk with the ACC adjusting wheel on it?

Last edited by Nothanks; 07-13-2020 at 01:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 02:27 AM   #58
robinasu
Private First Class
Rep

I only replaced the SZL and reused the clock spring and it worked. That SZL was most likely from an X6 and I have a X5. Also, I actually removed the original cruise stalk from the original SZL and replaced it with an ACC stalk. You have to factory code the DSC since it handles the SZL comms. Works fine. I sold the “ACC“ SZL I bought with the original non ACC cruise stalk.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 01:54 AM   #59
robinasu
Private First Class
Rep

Great Success

Ok, just to close the loop - I have ACC.

I finally installed the new ACC DSC unit. With the E70 X5d, do yourself a favor and rotate the upper intake pipe to the other side of the oil cap. You can pull the DSC out there while holding the hydraulic pipes aside. Also, drain the brake fluid from the master cylinder reservoir or it will completely drain when you remove the pipes from the DSC unit. I did not pull out the entire DSC bracket- just removed the two bolts on the bottom of the bracket that secure the DSC unit to the bracket. I tried vacuum bleeding, but I'm not a fan. It draws too much air through the caliper vents and you can't gauge the amount of air in the line. I wound up having a friend pump the pedal while I manned the caliper vent, then activated the abs pump bleed function a couple times at each wheel. The brakes feel great. I don't think the last shop did a very good job, but the old fluid was clear.

ACC is great. Very happy with it.

My active steering project is progressing. The only errors left are from the EMF (parking brake). It complains about the DSC interface after I code $217 for AFS. I've read the EMF can be finicky and there is a workshop mode. I will have to play around some more. Anybody have any hints?

Also, does anyone know if the ACC radar must be calibrated for best performance, or does it only need calibration if it complains?

A big thank you to everybody in this thread for your tips and hints!

Last edited by robinasu; 07-18-2020 at 02:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 01:43 PM   #60
Nothanks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinasu View Post
I only replaced the SZL and reused the clock spring and it worked. That SZL was most likely from an X6 and I have a X5. Also, I actually removed the original cruise stalk from the original SZL and replaced it with an ACC stalk. You have to factory code the DSC since it handles the SZL comms. Works fine. I sold the “ACC“ SZL I bought with the original non ACC cruise stalk.
Thank you for the clarification; I ordered the ACC SZL on a combo unit and will simply harvest the stalk and move it onto my clock spring assembly.

Follow-on question, did you need to do any additional wiring relative to the steering assembly in order to get a physical link to the comms network? My guess is NO, but I would appreciate confirmation.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 01:46 PM   #61
Nothanks
Rep

Can you do ACC S541A w/o the hydro unit?

In terms of comparing
  • Adaptive Cruise Control S541A
  • Active Cruise Control + Stop&Go Function S5DFA

is it possible to setup S541A, ACC only, with all of the parts MINUS the hydro unit?

That is to say I have the Cruise Control With Brake Function S544A and I am buy-ing parts for ACC. It looks like I will come up short on the Hydro unit and I would like to know if I can move forward and code S541A with the hydro unit I currently have?

this post seems to suggest it is okay:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumitru.o View Post
Hi guys

I did it on e70 2008 3.0d with $544 from factory.

You need:

- ACC
- SZL for ACC (not only stalk)
- LDM (in my case)
Coding with LCI year and $5DF

I have a late model x5 LCI

any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 04:00 PM   #62
robinasu
Private First Class
Rep

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothanks View Post
Thank you for the clarification; I ordered the ACC SZL on a combo unit and will simply harvest the stalk and move it onto my clock spring assembly.

Follow-on question, did you need to do any additional wiring relative to the steering assembly in order to get a physical link to the comms network? My guess is NO, but I would appreciate confirmation.
Just to make sure I'm being clear, there are multiple parts:

-The SZL, which includes the stalks and the angle sensor
-The clock spring, which may be different depending on the functions you have on the steering wheel (heated wheel, etc)

I believe your existing clock spring can be moved to a new SZL. The clock spring has two connectors. One plugs into the SZL. The other uses the SZL as a mount and plugs into a loose connector in the steering column. I moved the clock spring from my X5 to the X6 SZL. I am guessing the clock spring part number depends on the steering wheel function options you have.

The DSC unit is the gateway for the SZL, so if something isn't working right you can try to factory code the DSC using NCSexpert. When you code the DSC it "codes" the SZL.

Last edited by robinasu; 07-23-2020 at 01:24 AM.. Reason: Correction
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 04:21 PM   #63
robinasu
Private First Class
Rep

I tried

Quote:
In terms of comparing
  • Adaptive Cruise Control S541A
  • Active Cruise Control + Stop&Go Function S5DFA

is it possible to setup S541A, ACC only, with all of the parts MINUS the hydro unit?

That is to say I have the Cruise Control With Brake Function S544A and I am buy-ing parts for ACC. It looks like I will come up short on the Hydro unit and I would like to know if I can move forward and code S541A with the hydro unit I currently have?

this post seems to suggest it is okay:

I have a late model x5 LCI

any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks again!
At first I thought a software flash could enable ACC with the dynamic cruise control DSC/hydro, but it can't for LCI cars. I also tried 541 with the original DSC, to no avail. Others on this thread also said it could not be done. I found some pictures where a guy opened up both type DSC's and you can clearly see two additional pressure sensors. The ACC DSC uses the two additional pressure sensors to proportion brake force front/rear.

It's hard to find the ACC DSC unit. Try eBay international sites, too.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 11:22 PM   #64
Nothanks
Rep

Quote:
Just to make sure I'm being clear, there are multiple parts:

-The SZL, which includes the stalks and the angle sensor
-The clock spring, which may be different depending on the functions you have on the steering wheel (heated wheel, etc)

The clock spring can be moved to a new SZL because it just uses the SZL as a mount, but doesn't electrically connect to the SZL. There is a connector in the column that connects to the clock spring when it's mounted to the SZL.

The SZL has a separate connector that contains the CAN bus comms.

I understand better now; it has taken me several read-throughs of these posts and the TIS diagrams

As I said, I see 3 different part numbers for the SZL assembly: 61319203106, and 107, and 108. These are called out as different p/ns based upon which option sets you might have: S248A, S521A, S541A, S5ADA, S5DFA

In my case I need the part number ending in 108 but I ended up with one ending in 106. My plan is to reuse my clock spring assembly OR switch the cruise stalk from the 106 SZL I ordered with the one that is on my car already. I need to get my hands on both and compare them to sort out the differences.

All of the SZL assemblies appear to have the same 12pol connector on the back, and then the clock spring has one of two different connectors depending upon options. I have not been able to reconcile why there are 3 different p/ns for the SZL module.

parts link for LCI minus the paddle shifter is here

I guess I will figure this out, eventually

Finding the Hydro Unit has been tough, but I will need to keep looking
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 11:48 PM   #65
robinasu
Private First Class
Rep

Stalks

Quote:
I understand better now; it has taken me several read-throughs of these posts and the TIS diagrams

As I said, I see 3 different part numbers for the SZL assembly: 61319203106, and 107, and 108. These are called out as different p/ns based upon which option sets you might have: S248A, S521A, S541A, S5ADA, S5DFA

In my case I need the part number ending in 108 but I ended up with one ending in 106. My plan is to reuse my clock spring assembly OR switch the cruise stalk from the 106 SZL I ordered with the one that is on my car already. I need to get my hands on both and compare them to sort out the differences.

All of the SZL assemblies appear to have the same 12pol connector on the back, and then the clock spring has one of two different connectors depending upon options. I have not been able to reconcile why there are 3 different p/ns for the SZL module.

parts link for LCI minus the paddle shifter is here

I guess I will figure this out, eventually

Finding the Hydro Unit has been tough, but I will need to keep looking
I believe there are a bunch of permutations based on the type of stalks and the functions they have. Some cars don't have the auto wiper buttons, have lane departure, ACC, etc. To get my ACC stalk I unknowingly bought what I believe was a X6 SZL because the wiper stalk did not have the rear wiper control for my X5, which is why I tried swapping the ACC stalk to my original SZL base. The X6 SZL and stalks all worked- just couldn't activate the rear wiper. Once I coded original SZL with the new ACC stalk via the DSC it worked. BWM just decided not to create a part number for the individual stalks for whatever reason. I believe the SZL bases are all the same (or mostly ).

Last edited by robinasu; 07-20-2020 at 12:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 04:03 PM   #66
Kissvesala
Rep

Quote:
I believe there are a bunch of permutations based on the type of stalks and the functions they have. Some cars don't have the auto wiper buttons, have lane departure, ACC, etc. To get my ACC stalk I unknowingly bought what I believe was a X6 SZL because the wiper stalk did not have the rear wiper control for my X5, which is why I tried swapping the ACC stalk to my original SZL base. The X6 SZL and stalks all worked- just couldn't activate the rear wiper. Once I coded original SZL with the new ACC stalk via the DSC it worked. BWM just decided not to create a part number for the individual stalks for whatever reason. I believe the SZL bases are all the same (or mostly ).
I have X5 (or e91) SZL on my X6. So my problem is viceversa. I have rear wiper stalk but not a wiper😅

E91 3series szl is fully compatible with x5 if there are same kind of vechile order.
Appreciate 0