XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-10-2018, 09:55 AM   #1
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Leaking temp sensor

Hi all,
For awhile now I have had a small coolant leak, and finally had the chance to dig into the rig a bit and see where it is actually at.
Looks like the temp sensor on the top of the big radiator hose on the passenger side. According to Realoem, the sensor is available by itself, but I cant see how it attaches to the flange. Has anyone been in there and messed with this guy at all?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 10:06 AM   #2
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep

Answered my own question, it just snaps into place, and has a sealing ring that is probably my culprit. I work at a wholesale parts distributor, and we have both the sensor and o-rings in stock, so this should be easy, aside from getting my hands down there again.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2018, 07:02 AM   #3
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colodano View Post
Answered my own question, it just snaps into place, and has a sealing ring that is probably my culprit. I work at a wholesale parts distributor, and we have both the sensor and o-rings in stock, so this should be easy, aside from getting my hands down there again.
I just caught this leak on mine too as I have the cooling fan out, so I could pull the alternator, so I could pull a heat shield, so I could pull the exhaust manifolds (gotta love how everything is connected lol).

I am going to get the original BMW part though, I have read some aftermarket sensors don;t snap in quite right, if this thing were to fail you would loose coolant fast, make sure what you use is in there solid.

I am going to have to other one ready to snap in and try to swap it super fast so I don't have drain the entire coolant system.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 08:51 AM   #4
TwinSnailz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5//M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
I just caught this leak on mine too as I have the cooling fan out, so I could pull the alternator, so I could pull a heat shield, so I could pull the exhaust manifolds (gotta love how everything is connected lol).

I am going to get the original BMW part though, I have read some aftermarket sensors don;t snap in quite right, if this thing were to fail you would loose coolant fast, make sure what you use is in there solid.

I am going to have to other one ready to snap in and try to swap it super fast so I don't have drain the entire coolant system.
Funny how im about to start pulling the exhaust manifold during the xmas week. Got all my parts ready to roll. Been having a bad exhaust leak. Sounds driving me crazy , not to mention the exhaust fumes when idling.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 09:40 AM   #5
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post

Thats my plan as well. The sensors that we sell are made by the same manufacturer as the original BMW part, so the fit should be spot on, but if I have any fitment issue whatsoever I will put the old one back, and/ or not drive it until I get an OE installed.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 08:50 PM   #6
Ryan5034
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Garage List
I had this happen as well. Replaced the o ring on the original sensor for a $1 I think. FCP euro had it.

Not much coolant came out either.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 11:25 AM   #7
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah I was surprised, swapped this weekend, and did it while cool, not sure I lost more than a drop of coolant. I was prepared with pans and shop rags everywhere...

And the seal ring on the old one was absolutely bad. I have been driving my Subaru here for a few days, will update if I have any issues once I drive the M again.
Appreciate 0