XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-04-2018, 04:17 PM   #1
Vista_M
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
  [0.00]
X5 E70 3.5d transmission mulfuntion

Showed first time two months ago and now getting more often but there is absolutely nothing wrong that I can tell. Car shifted normal.

2012 3.5d

If anyone know or experienced something like this please help, thanks guys!
Attached Images

2011 E93 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 05:40 PM   #2
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Could be dozen different things. Get yourself a scan tool that can read BMW tranny codes This one is decent: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Then go from there...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 02:40 AM   #3
p0lar
Naturally agitated
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3, 12 E70 X5d, 04 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista_M View Post
Showed first time two months ago and now getting more often but there is absolutely nothing wrong that I can tell. Car shifted normal.

2012 3.5d

If anyone know or experienced something like this please help, thanks guys!
What is the mileage and service history on your transmission? A common failure item that is known to cause this problem is a cracked mechatronic seal adapter.

It isn't particularly difficult to replace while you're performing a fluid/filter change, and would also be pragmatic to replace the mechatronic sealing sleeves. You may need one additional litre of fluid.

FCP Euro also sells a kit that includes about everything you need for a complete transmission service, including OE ZF Lifeguard 6 fluid. You could probably purchase fluid for less than $25/litre and you most certainly don't need new torx bolts for the pan, or at least not all 21 of them.

Another common issue is improper fill level. The ZF 6HP (and 8HP) are very sensitive to fluid volume.

Last edited by p0lar; 12-12-2018 at 09:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 09:03 PM   #4
Vista_M
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0lar View Post
What is the mileage and service history on your transmission? A common failure item that is known to cause this problem is a cracked mechatronic seal adapter.

It isn't particularly difficult to replace while you're performing a fluid/filter change, and would also be pragmatic to replace the mechatronic sealing sleeves. You may need one additional litre of fluid.

FCP Euro also sells a kit that includes about everything you need for a complete transmission service, including OE ZF Lifeguard 6 fluid. You could probably purchase fluid for less than $25/litre and you most certainly don't need new torx bolts for the pan, or at least not all 21 of them.

Another common issue is improper fill level. The ZF 6HP (and 8HP) are very sensitive to fluid volume.
It's now at 90,000 miles, I don't think I would be able to tackle this kind of DIY

I'll bring your comment to my mechanic. Thanks!

2011 E93 ///M3
Appreciate 0