XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-28-2021, 03:18 PM   #1
Bengineer330
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 2011 E92 M3

A/C Compressor Stalling Video - xdrive50i

It was a blissful 3 months without any issue with this car

Car has 168k miles...

Started the car this weekend and about 15 seconds into it idling while I got situated I heard a loud squeal and smelled burnt rubber {Insert loud frustrated groan}. I replaced both the stretch belt, serpentine belt, and tensioner about 20k miles ago so I initially thought the stretch belt was eating itself again.

Nope, I was wrong, newer, worse issue. Check the video below;

I don't want to jump to "AC Compressor is bad replace it" cus that thing is deep in there but with the long weekend coming up it might be the time to do it if I have too.

I've never worked on a Cars AC system before could someone answer some basic questions for me?

1) Could low refirigerent be a cause of this, I've never checked it but would like to know the root cause. If I had a leak and it ran out would that cause the compressor to stall?

2) Is the AC compressor even accessible from the bottom, top, or wheelwell?

Car runs just fine with the Air Off, took it about 200 miles today. Also the day before it was blowing nice cold air so this is out of the blue like all problems LOL.

Any advice is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 10:38 PM   #2
robinasu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E70 BMW X5d

Some questions:

Was the refrigerant played with recently?
Did you use the correct stretch belt? Could it be too tight?
Do not run it anymore (just in case you are); when it ran during the video, could you feel the system was cooling?
Is your blower fan working?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 09:19 AM   #3
Bengineer330
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

No have not played with the refrigerant recently, that's why I was concerned about it because I have not check it since I have owned the car.

Correct stretch belt was used, it was installed 20k miles ago. I assume if it was wrong that that issue would be almost immediate.

Blower Fan working properly.

The AC was blowing ice cold air on a 90F degree day the day before having this issue so I'm wondering what would cause this. I'd hate to replace the compressor thinking that's what failed just to have the same issue arise because I didn't fix the root problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 11:05 AM   #4
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengineer330 View Post
It was a blissful 3 months without any issue with this car

Car has 168k miles...

Started the car this weekend and about 15 seconds into it idling while I got situated I heard a loud squeal and smelled burnt rubber {Insert loud frustrated groan}. I replaced both the stretch belt, serpentine belt, and tensioner about 20k miles ago so I initially thought the stretch belt was eating itself again.

Nope, I was wrong, newer, worse issue. Check the video below;

I don't want to jump to "AC Compressor is bad replace it" cus that thing is deep in there but with the long weekend coming up it might be the time to do it if I have too.

I've never worked on a Cars AC system before could someone answer some basic questions for me?

1) Could low refirigerent be a cause of this, I've never checked it but would like to know the root cause. If I had a leak and it ran out would that cause the compressor to stall?

2) Is the AC compressor even accessible from the bottom, top, or wheelwell?

Car runs just fine with the Air Off, took it about 200 miles today. Also the day before it was blowing nice cold air so this is out of the blue like all problems LOL.

Any advice is appreciated.
Low pressure won't cause this, over pressure shouldn't either as sensors will disengage clutch. Hate to say but looks like compressor failure. Possible blocked high pressure line but I doubt it. Either way first place to start is A/C manifold gauge set. Amazon and harbor freight both have decent low cost sets. Watch videos in YouTube on how to use. Super easy to use and also super easy to use wrong so watch the videos. If pressures are all fine then you know it's your compressor. FCP has them for around 300 but local AutoZone Orielys should have them too if you don't want to wait. Pick up or rent vacuum pump and grab oil for compressor just in case it does not come with it (some do some don't)
If you don't have access to ISTA let us know and one of us will post up replacement docs.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 11:25 AM   #5
Bengineer330
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I agree, the compressor is on its last leg. I'm going to order the Nissens one from FCP as well as a new condenser and main radiator. I noticed the radiator having a leak when I had the fan out to take my video so a good time to do it.

Found this guy on YouTube that did the compressor swap on my exact same car so at least I know there is some access through the wheel well. AND it's been done DIY before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=6sEbVcrh624

Just need to talk to the local shop about evacuating the refrigerant for me...
Appreciate 0