XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-24-2021, 05:06 PM   #1
XRatedM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' X5M - 19' VW GTI

Need Help! Tracing oil and water leak.

Hey everyone.

I recently bought an E70 X5M and there is an oil and coolant leak - I have done some initial tracing and need your help to pin point the culprits.

Coolant is leaking on the driver's side after a normal drive and it leaks most of the coolant in the expansion tank/reservoir (about half a liter). I felt it was leaking through the drain because of a faulty cap, so I replaced the coolant cap but that didn't solve the problem.

I looked around and saw coolant right under the expansion tank/reservoir - Photos below - I suspect it's the expansion tank/reservoir which is leaking, I don't see coolant anywhere else.

Second is an oil leak that I was told about after a pre purchase inspection. I could not find anything visually without actually taking stuff apart. I did however see the crankcase ventilator line being all mucky, so I'm guessing it's brittle and will fall apart any time but could it fall under an oil leak or is it just oily blow and I should continue to inspect?

I don't want to start pulling things apart. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Attached Images

Last edited by XRatedM; 01-24-2021 at 06:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 05:30 PM   #2
zoom750
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Coolant tank is a known source of leaks. Either on the seams or at the bottom. Replacement is not expensive and can be done at home. Not difficult.
Appreciate 0