XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-24-2021, 12:46 PM   #1
DevisedByDev
Rep
Drives: 2009 Xdrive35d

Sellers & Pro's/Con's? Android 10.0 Qual Snapdragon625, 4GB/64GB, 10.25"/12.3" FullHD

Hi Folks,

So there is a decent amount of information available with install threads about these units across various BMW models including both our CIC and CCC E70s. So this thread IS NOT intended to get into the details of the install itself and OS Android setup. Thread is intended to identify the best sellers and to summarize the Pro's and Con's of adding a Android unit. I will also summarize a list of the detailed threads specific to the install & Android setup at a later date. So ideally, this thread will become the single source of truth with your help for Android unit installs.

I have researched & compiled the information below in a Excel chart. Looking for feedback folks who have done the install & their experience or recommendations for Sellers. Note: If the Seller does NOT have at least one solid year of good reviews then I will not consider them as a candidate.

I happen to have a 2009 X35D with CCC so that's the focus on my excel table. However, all these sellers offer the CIC version so I hope this is helpful to all X5 owners including newer generation owners. I'm most likely buying a 12.3" display unit as I see no downside to them versus 10.25".

Currently per 01/24/2021, I have identified AVIN USA or AliExpress Seller NaviFly as the best deals.

My question to you?

Ignoring any fake units, are all the legitimate Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 units with 4GB/64GB and either 10.25" or 12.3" Full HD screens all the same units across the various sellers?

For example, my biggest concern about these units is the lack of audio quality overall. People seem to be relying on the AUX input to utilize the OEM tuner for good quality sound. The bluetooth sound quality seems questionable? While some sellers, advertise these units are having "crystal clear" bluetooth functionality. My biggest focus is iDrive functionality, bluetooth streaming sound quality, hands-free phone w noise-less microphone quality. I apologize if I'm a bit inaccurate with these statements as my next step is to understand the technical pro's & con's of the install, following several of the posted DIY steps for the install. I researched the OEM BMW CIC retrofit threads & have concluded that doing a OEM CIC retrofit isn't worth the trouble. Plus, I feel these units are outdated compared to performance & versatility of the Android offerings.

Would anyone like to add a recommended seller that they have great experience and ideally good communication with them for any support issues?

And if you performed this install, I'd love to know more about what I'm going to have to compromise. I don't listen to a ton of radio but stream via Pandora 99% of the time and also want Hands-Free calls to be very good sound quality on both sides.

Thanks, I am happy to update and share as more feedback is gained.

Here is a Google Drive Link to the Excel File

Here is a Screen Shot of my 1st Version:

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 07:01 PM   #2
DevisedByDev
Rep
Drives: 2009 Xdrive35d

I've update the spreadsheet and added a few more options for Sellers.

For myself, I've narrowed it down to simply staying with AVIN USA or going with NaviFly in China. Issue with direct from China right now....is massive delays in terms of shipping.

But I'm in no rush either way. You can save about $125 on the unit itself and about $200+ across all the add-ons if you piece everything together.

Downside is your don't get the excellent customer support offered by AVIN USA. It may easily be worth the slight premium to get the live support.

I've actually decided to let this project stay on the backburner. Why? I'm expecting them to come out with a 8 GB / 128 GB version in the not too far future. So gonna do my delete & tune for my major Spring 2021 project to keep myself busy and my wallet empty....then see what may be offered this Summer.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 08:59 PM   #3
Dollma
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW x5d

Can you tell me more about add ins that you would piece together?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 06:36 PM   #4
pjfox23
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 35i, X5M

Bump

Wondering if anyone has tried the 12.3" screen in the e70?? Will it look oversized? Pics would help, please.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 04:51 PM   #5
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 (N55), 2014 I01 (REX)

the 12.3 is not centered

imo, it looks out of place

Appreciate 1
pjfox2336.00