XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-15-2021, 09:34 PM   #1
Edwardscarpa
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5

08 4.8i X5 SUPER BONED!

08 bmw x5 4.8i 112k miles
has cam sensor light on, i replaced two havent gotten the other two
the truck would puff a little smoke here and there when it turned on but quickly clean up and really never had any problems but a small stutter maybe once out of the week or so just basically nothing...
i went to work and came home, backed into driveway and got to the back of it and my traction and 4x4 and any light related to suspension and what not goes off it tells me that theres a malfunction and it put me into drive, couldnt shift out of anything, so i pulled out real slow and was gunna just drive around the block real quick so i could get back into the driveway. took a super small lap didnt rev hardly at all and it was for sure on tow mode barely just crawling, halfway through literally every light goes off the screen showed me a few problems saying transmission stuff and then the screen goes out my wipers wipe super slow headlights messed up literally everything bad, i barely got up to my driveway and half turned in before in killed out and stopped in place, then i heard something just kinda cranking and winding down from the sudden stop, not necessarily something broken just kinda like a card in a bike tire after you stop pedaling kinda deal, and the car wont turn on anymore and its got lights on dash no radio screen. im totally boned just got my second daughter home from hospital and amongst all the bad and my ship already sinking now this darn thing wants to call the quits too! Just really over everything entirely, super broke and probably entirely screwed just curious if anyone has answers. im partially mechanically inclined and ive changed a few things here and there aswell as work at AutoZone but im far from a mechanic and definitely far from having a wallet able to hurt my bum when im sitting.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 04:53 AM   #2
digitys
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

Congratulations on your second little girl. I hope someone will chime in as I am not able to answer this.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 08:41 AM   #3
Black95
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91 Monaco Blue, 2009 e70

First Check your battery. Should be 12.6 VDC. Low voltage does crazy things on these cars (all kinds of lights). The 4x4 , traction control, etc lights are often triggered by low voltage.

From the sequence you described it sounds like your alternator died. As the battery drains, the car is programmed to begin shutting down none-essential system one at a time to keep the car running.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 08:58 AM   #4
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Check your ground straps, there are two, one by front diff/steering rack (need to pull drivers side wheel or crawl under too see) and one in back by muffler. These are known to corrode and cause all kinds of electrical gremlins.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 06:35 PM   #5
Edwardscarpa
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5

Thank you stay tuned!!

THANKS for the help guys im currently charging the battery at work and ill bring it home and see, the car kicked over the day after just enough so i could actually move it, more than likely starting to seem like alternator.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 07:27 AM   #6
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
Alternators die frequently on e70s. That is what I see your problem description each time the battery runs dead after an alternator dies.

Of course as others mentioned, could be a bad battery (if it wasn’t bad it is now after running completely dead). Ground straps, bad cables, bad battery connectors. But it’s probably your alternator

On e70s alternators frequently give up with out warning. Seems like they last about 40k miles for me. My 4.8i needed one at 40k and 82k. My x5m needed one at 44k.

If your alternator is bad I would recommend replacing you battery. Starter lead acid batteries are easily damaged by fully discharging them. Most starter batteries can handle about maybe 30 full discharges before they fail. The older they are the less able to handle a deep/full discharge. Anyway I would replace it after this, as it will give up shortly too. Deep discharge batteries are a different matter.
Appreciate 0