XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-02-2020, 02:13 PM   #1
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

Rk intakes for the e70 x5m

How come no one who had bought them posted dynos or reviews of it.

You'd think for an expensive mod like these, people would post something....what gives?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 10:34 AM   #2
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Are you looking for a unbiased opinion? Anyway, Rk claims 24whp/11WTQ with a tune. Up to 50whp/100wtq with their ECU tune. On sale right now for $1650 https://www.rkautowerks.com/index.php/product/tes-x5m/
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 11:23 AM   #3
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraftwerk AG View Post
Are you looking for a unbiased opinion? Anyway, Rk claims 24whp/11WTQ with a tune. Up to 50whp/100wtq with their ECU tune. On sale right now for $1650 https://www.rkautowerks.com/index.php/product/tes-x5m/

Yea an unbiased opinion. You'd think that with 50whp... everyone who got a tune would be running these....
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 02:19 PM   #4
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Vehicle has Velos S2+ tune, RK Autowerks intake, axle-back exhaust - never dynoed.

When cleaning the filters I'll toss the stock box on while they dry (if I need to make a quick run somewhere) and I can't say I feel any kind of real power bump, certainly not 50whp. What is different is the intake noise, which is a lot more pronounced and it removes some of the weight of the stock intake box. Drop in the bucket for a vehicle that weights as much a dying sun, I know. It also reduces the amount of heat that's trapped by the stock box below the hood.

None of those are worth the price of admission but I also don't regret my purchase. I've only bought one cleaning kit (~$15) since getting the intake and have probably done about 7-8 oil/filter changes which equates to about $350-$400 saved on air filters.

I also have the filter socks on the filters and I'm on my second pair of those, FWIW.

I also had to do a bit of cutting to the little rubber sleeves on the grill in order to clear the filters when closing the hood. Installation was supposed to be "cutting-free" but it wasn't so I figured I'd mention it. Otherwise, fit and finish is great.

Holler if you have any specific questions.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 02:21 PM   #5
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
Vehicle has Velos S2+ tune, RK Autowerks intake, axle back exhaust - never dynoed.

When cleaning the filters I'll toss the stock box on while they dry (if I need to make a quick run somewhere) and I can't really say I feel any kind of power bump, certainly not 50whp. What is different is the intake noise, which is a lot more pronounced and it removes some of the weight of the stock intake box. Drop in the bucket for a vehicle that weights as much a dying sun, I know. It also reduces the amount of heat that's trapped by the stock box below the hood.

None of those are worth the price of admission but I also don't regret my purchase. I've only bought one cleaning kit (~$15) since getting the intake and have probably done about 7-8 oil/filter changes which equates to about $350-$400 saved on air filters.

I also have the filter socks on the filters and I'm on my second pair of those, FWIW.

I also had to do a bit of cutting to the little rubber sleeves on the grill in order to clear the filters when closing the hood. Installation was supposed to be "cutting-free" but it wasn't so I figured I'd mention it. Otherwise, fit and finish is great.

Thanks for the honest review!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 12:49 PM   #6
S.W.G.
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i, X5 35I, 2012 X5M

No intake provides +50 WHP unless your doing 5" tubing some kind of monster motor. I'm surprised nobody like VSRF or BMS has built *something* without the crazy M tax that RK is asking (hint: I'd pay a few hundred and skip the carbon fiber, not the cost of an entire brake pad/rotor kit).
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 01:01 PM   #7
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.W.G. View Post
No intake provides +50 WHP unless your doing 5" tubing some kind of monster motor. I'm surprised nobody like VSRF or BMS has built *something* without the crazy M tax that RK is asking (hint: I'd pay a few hundred and skip the carbon fiber, not the cost of an entire brake pad/rotor kit).
Not enough market for the e70 x5m. Very few folks who mod it to this level.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 01:09 PM   #8
S.W.G.
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgz View Post
Not enough market for the e70 x5m. Very few folks who mod it to this level.
Truth. You know its rough when Dinan has the best prices.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 02:46 PM   #9
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep

Quote:
Truth. You know its rough when Dinan has the best prices.

Haha ya. I spoke with Dinan twice about doing intakes and they said there is no market.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 06:28 PM   #10
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

I am in the VERY early process (started just this week) of making custom intakes for the N63, it would not take much effort to tweak them and make them work for the S63. As I mentioned, I am in the very beginning stages, so it will be another month+ before I have a functional prototype and probably another month or two and several revisions before they will be ready.

It's going to incorporate some different design elements from what is out there right now, optimizing flow right to the turbo inlets. I wont release it unless it proves to show real advantage over stock, something that shows up on 1/4 mile times and as much as I love the carbon fiber look, if you have ever tried to work with the stuff, you will know why anything made of it costs so much so it will be made from a thermoplastic such as poycarbonate... Will post up a thread to it in upcoming months as progress continues.

As mentioned above, there is little to no market for it so this is something I am doing for myself and will produce a few extra sets for those interested. Again not going to sell to anyone unless this is something that makes a difference in the 1/4 miles. With the air filter and Ram-air design I have in-mind, it should but we will see.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 11-04-2020 at 06:34 PM..
Appreciate 2
      11-04-2020, 10:16 PM   #11
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
I am in the VERY early process (started just this week) of making custom intakes for the N63, it would not take much effort to tweak them and make them work for the S63. As I mentioned, I am in the very beginning stages, so it will be another month+ before I have a functional prototype and probably another month or two and several revisions before they will be ready.

It's going to incorporate some different design elements from what is out there right now, optimizing flow right to the turbo inlets. I wont release it unless it proves to show real advantage over stock, something that shows up on 1/4 mile times and as much as I love the carbon fiber look, if you have ever tried to work with the stuff, you will know why anything made of it costs so much so it will be made from a thermoplastic such as poycarbonate... Will post up a thread to it in upcoming months as progress continues.

As mentioned above, there is little to no market for it so this is something I am doing for myself and will produce a few extra sets for those interested. Again not going to sell to anyone unless this is something that makes a difference in the 1/4 miles. With the air filter and Ram-air design I have in-mind, it should but we will see.

Im in! Let me know if you need any measurements or whatever from me, I've got calipers and what not to get accurate measurements.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 11:15 PM   #12
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Im in! Let me know if you need any measurements or whatever from me, I've got calipers and what not to get accurate measurements.
Will do, when I get a functional prototype I will reach out to you, what I am designing should fit right into the M, I should only have to remove the MAF housing for the M version since the S63 doesn't use them. I have the Alpina Intercoolers (Same as the M's) already installed which are taller then the stock n63 so it should fit up to the M just fine.

The Turbo inlet elbow you see with the calipers in the pic was actually my first stab at 3D printing using a high temp thermoplastic resin. Remains to be seen if it can hold up to the high temps, much more to come, don't want to hijack this thread anymore, will start a new one in upcoming weeks when I am further alone with design and build.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 12:28 AM   #13
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep

Quote:
Will do, when I get a functional prototype I will reach out to you, what I am designing should fit right into the M, I should only have to remove the MAF housing for the M version since the S63 doesn't use them. I have the Alpina Intercoolers (Same as the M's) already installed which are taller then the stock n63 so it should fit up to the M just fine.

The Turbo inlet elbow you see with the calipers in the pic was actually my first stab at 3D printing using a high temp thermoplastic resin. Remains to be seen if it can hold up to the high temps, much more to come, don't want to hijack this thread anymore, will start a new one in upcoming weeks when I am further alone with design and build.
I think to kind of simplify things the 3d printed portions can be the part that connects the filter (that I guess will be sitting behind the grill) to the main engine bay and ultimately to the duct boot. The mid section you can use 3" air raid piping and a mix of silicone, multi-ply boots.

Or what did you have in mind exactly?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 08:17 AM   #14
S.W.G.
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

I'd be up for it depending on if you're expanding the cowl and intake pipes or going for a full ram design. Are you doing current testing through 3d printing? That almost looks like a resin print ?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 11:05 AM   #15
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I think to kind of simplify things the 3d printed portions can be the part that connects the filter (that I guess will be sitting behind the grill) to the main engine bay and ultimately to the duct boot. The mid section you can use 3" air raid piping and a mix of silicone, multi-ply boots.

Or what did you have in mind exactly?
Working on two completely different designs, will be data logging to see which is the better of the two, one design is very close to what the F85 uses, other is unlike anything out there and may not work at all. Everything is in beginning stages. More to come, will start a new thread next week when I have more to show on the progress.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 11:15 AM   #16
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'd be up for it depending on if you're expanding the cowl and intake pipes or going for a full ram design. Are you doing current testing through 3d printing? That almost looks like a resin print ?
Working on two designs, both use ram air, whichever makes the most improvement wins. Data logging everything including using manometer at turbo inlets.

Yep Resin, I have serious doubts about it's longevity however, especially at turbo inlets. Wish I had a Tormach 440 right about now, would make inlets out of aluminum then transition to thermoplastic...even FDM using polycarbonate or other printable thermoplastic may not suffice, I am seeing turbo inlet temps hit close to 300 degrees 10min after engine shutoff...could every well turn out that the printed pieces are just used for molds for CF...if that is the case will only make a few and then be done. Could use stock inlet elbows but really hate that idea. Much more testing to be come.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 01:08 PM   #17
New jersey bimmers
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M

BMW x5m e70 scoops

Check out www.newjerseybimmers.com for air intake scoops
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      11-05-2020, 01:21 PM   #18
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by New jersey bimmers View Post
Check out www.newjerseybimmers.com for air intake scoops
Already have those
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2021, 02:00 PM   #19
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Quote:

im interested too please.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 06:01 PM   #20
GTBrandon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 Competition

Subscribed to see about those custom intakes
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 10:48 PM   #21
JellyStyle
Builder of Special Cars
Rep
Drives: G12 B7,F02 750li,E70 X5M,E46M3

I also want the X5M intake.. :-)
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 08:43 AM   #22
elmasry17
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW x5 50!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
Vehicle has Velos S2+ tune, RK Autowerks intake, axle-back exhaust - never dynoed.

When cleaning the filters I'll toss the stock box on while they dry (if I need to make a quick run somewhere) and I can't say I feel any kind of real power bump, certainly not 50whp. What is different is the intake noise, which is a lot more pronounced and it removes some of the weight of the stock intake box. Drop in the bucket for a vehicle that weights as much a dying sun, I know. It also reduces the amount of heat that's trapped by the stock box below the hood.

Hey boss!

So I have e71 x6m with stage 2 and downpipes from vrsf and I just ordered rk intakes and was wondering to ask you if your satisfied with the intake? Do you feel some gains in power and throttle response? The website mentions 24whp with a tune and 50whp if using rk tune so I was thinking maybe to ask rk to tune the vehicle so i can gain 50whp as they mentioned. But I don't known if this will erase my velos stage 2 tune. Sorry for asking many questions lol.
Appreciate 0