XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-03-2024, 05:24 AM   #1
MRkSTL
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70

E70 LCI - DSC, ABS, VTG etc fault codes

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and I seek for an advice on the issues I'm having with my first X5 I recently purchased.

There were few problems with the car, some of which I've already sorted, however I still struggle with few bits.

I had the diagnostics done after the purchase and several K-Can line faults were picked up as well as some DSC and VTG oil wear errors. I had the alignment checked and the print out was nearly all in red.

I'm in the process of fixing suspension issues since the alignment is way off and I was also reported perished bushings etc.

So far I had the following parts replaced:

- OSF upper control arm (wishbone) replaced (there was a cut on the rubber dust cover)

- OSF lower rear control (it had play)

- OSF drop link (reported perished, however it was actually fine. replaced anyway as I ordered the part)

- OSF CV boot cover fitted back with proper clamps (it was loose and previous owner held it by cable ties...)

- OSF wheel speed sensor

I've also ordered rear lower control arms (wishbones) bushings as they heavily perished on both sides and they will be replaced soon. Once it's done, I will order new tires (OSR tire is worn out on inner edge, front tires are slightly worn out on outer edges) and take the car for a full alignment.

I also replaced the oil in the transfer box last week as I had a fault code 5224 which indicates an oil wear in the transfer case. Obviously it was calibrated after the fluid change, however the error 5224 and CF80 still shows up and can't be deleted. Does it have to be ISTA or other special diagnostic tool that calibrates and removes the fault codes permanently or there is some kind of an issue I'm having with the transfer case/VTG module?

I was also having warning messages on the dash every now and then after the purchase, however I associated it with an old battery and actually it was ok for some time after I replaced it with a proper Bosch AGM battery (which was coded and registered). Unfortunately, those warning messages are permanent now since the suspension parts were replaced. Warning messages I've got are:

- Flat Tyre Monitor

- Parking brake

- Driving and Stability Control

The diagnostic report shows multiple DSC related fault codes, however it also picks 5E4E which is related to the OSF wheel speed sensor. As stated above, I've replaced it (just yesterday) and cleared the codes, but the error didn't disappear and came back. After checking the wheel speed sensor live data while driving, there is no measurement from the OSF wheel, so I'm guessing there might be a connection issue? If it was the ABS ring (in this case it's the whole hub that needs to be replaced?), I would get some readings, incorrect ones, but something would be picked up, am I right?

I wonder if it is all somehow related and it's just an electrical gremlin...or is it something more complex and expensive to fix?

The diag report from yesterday:

Engine:

4C12 - Message : DSC Status

4C3C - Message : Setpoint Torque

(occasionally I also had 4503 fault code and I believe it's also related to the DSC)

xDrive AWD:

CF80 - Manufacturer-specific code

(tap to search)

5224 - Manufacturer-specific code

(tap to search)

Heater & air conditioning:

E704 - K-CAN physical bus fault AC

9C7B - Manufacturer-specific code

(tap to search)

Traction/stability control:

5E4E - DSC Sensor Offset Check

Instrument cluster:

E104 - CAN LOW ERROR

Central module (in driver's footwell) (FRM):

9CD4 - Seat belt driver

Infotainment system:

E1C4 - Unknown fault

Infotainment display:

E5C4 - K-CAN line fault

Flexible bus interface:

E147 - Manufacturer-specific code

I would like to add that my horns and headlight washers do not work, however after supplying them directly with power, they all work. I checked a manual for Voltage supply and BUS system and there is a relay (soldered) inside the fuse box that is located in the foot well are (passenger's side). So I guess it has narrowed down the searches...Once I will have more time, I will take the fuse box out and check if it's the relay or perhaps something else.
Appreciate 0