XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

10-12-2018, 12:01 AM   #23
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
And a realistic question for you; your mindset, attitude, and perceptions are the same when you are driving your M3 and i3?

Could it be your heightened perception is more the culprit than other people?

Not asking this in a condescending way but more in a realistic way...
Perception is the same, mindset is not, but I am very polite when it comes to lane changes. I do not want to get into anyone's way nor impede the flow of traffic in any way. So whether I'm in the i3 or the M3, I signal ahead of time only when it's clear, I don't expect anyone to slow down for me, and I make sure I'm flowing with the traffic. Mind you, this is stop and go LA morning traffic. I'm not zipping in and out like an ass going 4 when everyone else is going 15. I just want to change lanes to make my offramp. More often in the M3, I get people who speed up, as opposed to the i3, where less people speed up and just let me in.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 11:27 AM   #24
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post
Had a couple minor incidents on the road here and there where people were just rude, but the one that pops off in my head right now is not even related to driving.

It was a couple months after I got separated. Got lonely away from home for work and decided to go on a dating site . This nice girl contacts me, we were chatting for a couple weeks then decided to meet. It was cute and kinky at the same time. I invited her over for a nice lobster meal at home; cooked by yours truly. When she got out of her vehicule, she was all smiles but her smile went down the second she saw my car. And on a couple occasions, while sitting on the deck (with eye contact on the car), she was mentionning things like "priorities" and "wanting to travel and enjoy life"; while eyeballing the car. It wasnt even subtle. But she still decided to stay overnight. Lobster was awesome, so was the wine, sex was great, so I thought we had something going there.

She ghosted me before I woke up the next morning. That was the only time I saw her. On the next day she was rambling about her priorities again... Never heard from her after that. So I cant say I ever got a girl in my bed because of my car, but I definitely lost one.

She was driving a caravan. We were definitely not made one for the other

weird...based on your sig you have a newer f series. You figure she would think that you could help her in dreams of travel when you can afford a 50-60k car...lol
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 11:45 AM   #25
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
I haven't had any encounters on the road, but have had co-workers or family members make comments about it. Most know nothing about cars, and assume it is newer than it really is. Once in the 325 someone made a comment about how my daddy must've bought it for me. They were in a newer Suburban. I said you realize this thing is 11 years old right (at the time), and your Suburban cost more than this did new? They shut up after that.

I never understood the prejudice, honestly. I mean you can get a brand new 320i or base model Benz for a bit over 30 grand. Meanwhile the people who look down on you for driving something "expensive" are riding around with mountains of debt driving their $70k luxury trucks and SUVs.

It doesn't bother me, I could care less what people think, but it always reminds me just how ignorant people are.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 4
xander_g962.50
P111541.50
Germanauto9665.50
      10-12-2018, 12:29 PM   #26
NoGuru
Major
Rep
Drives: 335is

Garage List
2021 Chevy Silverad ...  [0.00]
2002 Jeep Cherokee  [0.00]
2014 CTS  [0.00]
2011 335is  [0.00]
I got a flat tire in my E46 330 on my way to a hunting location an hour and a half from home and a friend at work told her husband that she felt sorry for me and his response was, "I don't feel sorry for anyone that drives a BMW".
2011 335is DCT BQ Tuning / BMS CAI / VRSF kittyless DP's / Synapse BOV and charge pipe / 7" VRSF Race FMIC / Walbro 535 and 450 on BMP4 / E90 tune / Diff Brace / PR Coils / Relocation Inlets / DAW Stage3+ Turbos / MMP port injection / xHP Stage 3 / FPR and -6 fuel lines
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 12:37 PM   #27
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post
Had a couple minor incidents on the road here and there where people were just rude, but the one that pops off in my head right now is not even related to driving.

It was a couple months after I got separated. Got lonely away from home for work and decided to go on a dating site . This nice girl contacts me, we were chatting for a couple weeks then decided to meet. It was cute and kinky at the same time. I invited her over for a nice lobster meal at home; cooked by yours truly. When she got out of her vehicule, she was all smiles but her smile went down the second she saw my car. And on a couple occasions, while sitting on the deck (with eye contact on the car), she was mentionning things like "priorities" and "wanting to travel and enjoy life"; while eyeballing the car. It wasnt even subtle. But she still decided to stay overnight. Lobster was awesome, so was the wine, sex was great, so I thought we had something going there.

She ghosted me before I woke up the next morning. That was the only time I saw her. On the next day she was rambling about her priorities again... Never heard from her after that. So I cant say I ever got a girl in my bed because of my car, but I definitely lost one.

She was driving a caravan. We were definitely not made one for the other
What kind of a "girl" drives a Caravan??

Either she had 12 kids which are her "priorities" or she has 14 dogs which are her "priorities". My smile would have sank quicker than her smile if I saw her get out of a Caravan!
      10-12-2018, 12:40 PM   #28
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
And a realistic question for you; your mindset, attitude, and perceptions are the same when you are driving your M3 and i3?

Could it be your heightened perception is more the culprit than other people?

Not asking this in a condescending way but more in a realistic way...
Perception is the same, mindset is not, but I am very polite when it comes to lane changes. I do not want to get into anyone's way nor impede the flow of traffic in any way. So whether I'm in the i3 or the M3, I signal ahead of time only when it's clear, I don't expect anyone to slow down for me, and I make sure I'm flowing with the traffic. Mind you, this is stop and go LA morning traffic. I'm not zipping in and out like an ass going 4 when everyone else is going 15. I just want to change lanes to make my offramp. More often in the M3, I get people who speed up, as opposed to the i3, where less people speed up and just let me in.
Having driven the 1M a lot in traffic and it being bright orange (lol) I have had a chance to compare people's behaviour when I'm in a rental car compared to the 1M. I have not noticed a significant difference. Like you I am a fairly courteous driver and am usually pretty laid back on the road. On any given day roughly 15-20% of drivers act like asshats and roughly 70% of drivers are just not paying much attention. I have not noticed any different behaviour outside of the "enthusiast" driver bugging me for a Fast & Furious type challenge (which, btw, happens a lot when you're in an Orange 1M lol). I myself feel like I'm a far more connected and attentive driver in the 1M; which is why I was asking how you are feeling when you drive your M3.
      10-12-2018, 02:10 PM   #29
Questofthetune
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 GT50014 AW M235i(sold)

Garage List
2014 BMW 235i  [0.00]
I’m in SFL so evreyone seems to have something to prove. I get revved at, raced, flicked off ect all the time in my 235.
I also drive a 1997 F150 ext cab ext bed on big tires (basically a land yacht). I don’t get much trouble at all and people generally let me in to places since my side step is about eye level with then in thier normal sized car. I have to drive very easy though since braking isn’t it’s strongpoint.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 02:56 PM   #30
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 DCT, 2019 Raptor

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
I don’t think prejudism is a word. But I don’t seem to get any M3 hostility as such. Mostly people who are into cars giving me the thumbs up, and the rest ignoring me. But some of the old lady types scowl at me when they hear me downshifting or burbling around town .
      10-12-2018, 06:43 PM   #31
brettbmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 320i 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
I haven't had any encounters on the road, but have had co-workers or family members make comments about it. Most know nothing about cars, and assume it is newer than it really is. Once in the 325 someone made a comment about how my daddy must've bought it for me. They were in a newer Suburban. I said you realize this thing is 11 years old right (at the time), and your Suburban cost more than this did new? They shut up after that.

I never understood the prejudice, honestly. I mean you can get a brand new 320i or base model Benz for a bit over 30 grand. Meanwhile the people who look down on you for driving something "expensive" are riding around with mountains of debt driving their $70k luxury trucks and SUVs.

It doesn't bother me, I could care less what people think, but it always reminds me just how ignorant people are.
Oh ya i hear comments at wrk, how can u afford a bmw, or whats this Beverly hills a women said to me ...I said maybe a bently i would say that....But if i pulled in with a 70k lifted Silverado, nothing would be said, people are ignorant..everybody got to say something ….
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 06:59 PM   #32
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d

Garage List
It's very strange what happens in my situation. I used to own a 335 and when I drove it I saw some people staring, cut me off or shout profanities for no apparent reason. I got a Jaguar F-Type last year and was expecting worse treatment as it's more of a flashy car but the complete opposite has happened. I get thumbs up and people try to drive beside me roll their windows and ask about the car. Did not expect this behaviour at all and am still puzzled
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 07:53 PM   #33
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarPundit View Post
I don’t think prejudism is a word. But I don’t seem to get any M3 hostility as such. Mostly people who are into cars giving me the thumbs up, and the rest ignoring me. But some of the old lady types scowl at me when they hear me downshifting or burbling around town .
I think the exhaust has a large part to do with it. My i3 is silent and stealthy, my M3 with the MPE is pretty loud.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 07:54 PM   #34
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Shiralian View Post
It's very strange what happens in my situation. I used to own a 335 and when I drove it I saw some people staring, cut me off or shout profanities for no apparent reason. I got a Jaguar F-Type last year and was expecting worse treatment as it's more of a flashy car but the complete opposite has happened. I get thumbs up and people try to drive beside me roll their windows and ask about the car. Did not expect this behaviour at all and am still puzzled
The Brits could be insulting you and it sounds so proper you wouldn't even know it!!!

Appreciate 2
      10-12-2018, 07:56 PM   #35
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d

Garage List
Quote:
The Brits could be insulting you and it sounds so proper you wouldn't even know it!!!
Darn, never thought of it that way
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 11:22 PM   #36
bavautosport
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i xDrive (M Sport)

Garage List
2021 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Sorry, couldn't help it since I had a few bad experience as well...

Name:  screen-shot-2018-06-20-at-8-39-07-pm.png
Views: 770
Size:  218.8 KB
      10-13-2018, 08:34 AM   #37
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

What I've noticed is that the shittier the car, the more offenses will be had on the road. The Altimas, Camrys, Prius are among the top offenders of speedings, cutting people off etc etc... the guy's with the BMWs, Benzes and Exotics only speed when needed (maybe perhaps they dont' have anything to prove). All this doesn't add up to me with any sort of prejudice by law enforcement of BMWs... this seems to be more of a jealousy thing imho.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 09:03 AM   #38
Machinebuilder
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640 IX GT

Interesting thread... I have had a little experiance which shows a bit peoples attitude. I broke down in a beautiful shiny 1998 740I up in NH while going skiing when the fuel pump died. It was on a secondary road with heavy traffic and no one stopped until a cop went by an hour later. A few years later I broke down in a Subaru Outback when hitting metal road debris in the same area and slicing a tire sidewall. Again it was a secondary road and literally a few cars almost immediately stopped and helped me. One Subaru driver stopped and helped me swap the wheel. In northern New England Subaru drivers are super friendly and if you drive one you are readily accepted because its what alot of them drive. It matches the Yankee values of being practical and modest with your wealth. If you drive a fancy new "city" car like a BMW etc you considered a "flatlander" as they say. They figure you don't need there help. Just my observation.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 09:59 AM   #39
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Msport

I live about ten miles from the Spartanburg BMW plant so around here you see lots of bmw’s and nobody seems to pay that much attention to them, which I like. On trips though, it does seem that I get a lot of drivers latching onto me for some reason, speeding up to pass me then slowing down in front of me, matching my speed whether I speed up or slow down, etc. Might have nothing to do with the fact that it’s a BMW, though, who knows.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 06:38 PM   #40
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Nobody seems tp notice my M2. And that doesn’t bother me.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 07:23 PM   #41
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 (E93)

Garage List
Ok so I’ve had Lexus, Acura, Infiniti’s before my current f30. My Infiniti was really clean g37s, coupe, just a much flashier car imo and not one time did I have someone come up to me to ask about the car or felt like I was being looked at/judged etc....

The other day, stopped at a light with my windows down in my F30. Some older guy in his 50s rolls his window down and calls for my attention and asks me “you buy that new”? “how much you pay for that “? With this look of loathing on his face. Thankfully my light turned so I proceeded to go but I definitely felt like he was hating.

Literally two days ago I played at a golf outing....so I pull up to drop my clubs as directed and this guy in his 50’s who also part of my foursome...(he actually was one of the sponsors at the outing and I know him now only through my uncle).....comments that someone my age shouldn’t be driving such a nice car.

Like f*** off dude, you don’t know my life or financial stability. I just never got anything like that driving other cars and it’s been twice now with the beemer
      10-13-2018, 10:11 PM   #42
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

so basically this thread is the IRL embodiment of "they see me rollin', they hatin'"
Appreciate 1
Law6377.00
      10-14-2018, 08:01 AM   #43
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageenterprise View Post
Ok so I've had Lexus, Acura, Infiniti's before my current f30. My Infiniti was really clean g37s, coupe, just a much flashier car imo and not one time did I have someone come up to me to ask about the car or felt like I was being looked at/judged etc....

The other day, stopped at a light with my windows down in my F30. Some older guy in his 50s rolls his window down and calls for my attention and asks me "you buy that new"? "how much you pay for that "? With this look of loathing on his face. Thankfully my light turned so I proceeded to go but I definitely felt like he was hating.

Literally two days ago I played at a golf outing....so I pull up to drop my clubs as directed and this guy in his 50's who also part of my foursome...(he actually was one of the sponsors at the outing and I know him now only through my uncle).....comments that someone my age shouldn't be driving such a nice car.

Like f*** off dude, you don't know my life or financial stability. I just never got anything like that driving other cars and it's been twice now with the beemer
Sorry but the F30 is a dime a dozen see tons and tons of them every day as far as I'm concerned they are a mass produced ordinary sedan. That guy asking about probably is thinking about getting one. It's not like they're so expensive. You're just being paranoid...which seems to be a recurrent theme in this thread.
      10-14-2018, 09:10 AM   #44
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 218i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
That more applies to dirty cars! No one cares about how clean your car is.

I will say that new model cars get more negative attention than older model cars.
I can verify this claim, if I’m out on my E30 or 2002 I get more thumbs up and love and compliments towards the car than if I were out with my 2er. Older the car, bigger the love
Appreciate 0