XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-06-2018, 11:00 AM   #1
nyceric03
Private
Rep
Drives: F25 35i, F15 50i, E70 4.8i

Throwing Money into my e70 4.8i advice

Hi, my indy mech says my 08 e70 4.8 has a coolant leak on the rear of the engine and he says they'll have to drop the engine out to work on that.

I figure while hes at it might as well do a few other items (car is at ~91k miles)

1) Coolant pipe
2) Valve stem seals

Any other ideas since the engine would be out anyways?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 02:02 PM   #2
neliconcept
Fashion Photographer
Rep
Drives: 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS

Don't think I've heard of having to take the engine out to work on a leak. What did he quote you on that?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 02:32 PM   #3
Vitalität
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 & X5

Garage List
2015 BMW i3 BEV  [0.00]
2007 BMW X5 48i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2004 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyceric03 View Post
Hi, my indy mech says my 08 e70 4.8 has a coolant leak on the rear of the engine and he says they'll have to drop the engine out to work on that.

I figure while hes at it might as well do a few other items (car is at ~91k miles)

1) Coolant pipe
2) Valve stem seals

Thanks!
I fixed my coolant leak twice, one was because of the tank and the other was for hoses. What is in the rear of the engine connected to the coolant system?

Garage: BMW i3 Giga World BEV | BMW E70 X5
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 02:47 PM   #4
nyceric03
Private
Rep
Drives: F25 35i, F15 50i, E70 4.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by neliconcept View Post
Don't think I've heard of having to take the engine out to work on a leak. What did he quote you on that?
I might have misheard actually perhaps he meant removal of the transmission for a rear back plate of the engine or something. I'll clarify before anything as I told him I'll bring the car back when I have time to do. Though I did ask him to ballpark me a price for that as well as the coolant pipe/valley pan leaks (might as well) intially he said ~$4,500 though Im sure might as well do valve stems (seeing how thats supposed to be an issue on the N62 eventually)

Was just thinking what else can he do all at once since he said I'd have to leave the car for 7-8 days with him.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 02:28 PM   #5
OshBaKosh
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 X5 E70

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by neliconcept View Post
I might have misheard actually perhaps he meant removal of the transmission for a rear back plate of the engine or something. I'll clarify before anything as I told him I'll bring the car back when I have time to do. Though I did ask him to ballpark me a price for that as well as the coolant pipe/valley pan leaks (might as well) intially he said ~$4,500 though Im sure might as well do valve stems (seeing how thats supposed to be an issue on the N62 eventually)

Was just thinking what else can he do all at once since he said I'd have to leave the car for 7-8 days with him.
Does the heater work? I had a similar issue. Now you don't have to drop engine to change valley pan. It's a pain but I did it in my garage. Thought that was the issue. I've still a coolant leak. Changed hoses and tank. Didn't fix still leaking. Changed a simple Y connector by the valley pan, not the problem. I noticed that the leak would happen when the heater was on. Eureka, the heater Valve was faulty. Quick change and fixed. I have an 09 x5, apparently the heating system uses the hot coolant to heat the car. The heater valve has a small overflow point and when the valve get stuck it leaks fluid through the overflow point and out the back of the engine. Ended up spend a few hundred and a couple of days and all good. Quote is too high and there is another need to drop engine or transmission to fix this problem unless it is something deeper but I would suggest the small stuff first. I ended up spend $300 and 3 afternoons/evenings and all good. FYI, valley pan replacement is a bitch but can totally be done from above.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 02:31 PM   #6
OshBaKosh
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 X5 E70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalität View Post
Quote:

1) Coolant pipe
2) Valve stem seals

Thanks!
I fixed my coolant leak twice, one was because of the tank and the other was for hoses. What is in the rear of the engine connected to the coolant system?
Nothing, it's just the way the engine is pitched it makes it look like any leak is coming from the back. Also a good way for mechanics to rip people off and suggest major work when it doesn't have to be done. Never trust a mechanic shop unless they are a close personal friend, they will rip you off the first chance they get. Obviously not all of them but most.
Appreciate 2