XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > X5 Photo/Video/Audio Gallery

05-18-2021, 06:50 AM   #1
Vucko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 630i E63

As the title says, i am going to post few pictures and short explanation on how to install RGB Ambient light with fiber optic cables, so it is not EL wire that is outside coloured, but rather transparent fiber optic which gives color when turned on.

So, the reason i am posting these, is because i wasnt able to find anyone doing this (though found 2 3videos on looks after, and only one for instalment but for 3er E92), so i want to help other owners of X5 / X6 that are willing to do this (and other car owners).

I ordered from eBay, 2sets of 5-Diode RGB Ambient light sets (cost me around 50$, no shipping charges to my country). The set contains lighter-adapter, module with 5 separate cables for 5diods (two piece set), and of course 6m of optic cable and sleeve for optic to be put anywhere in car without glue or screws.. i am sure, if you are reading these, you know what is this. It is Bluetooth contolled via app on the phone, which has 5predefined colors, 5presets that you choose, and RGB wheel so you can choose ANY color, brightness, and even has some modes like flickering, fading, crossing between all colors. It also has music mode, which is not that good, because it works on smallest vibrations to change color, but sometimes is nice to have disco in your car

I have to point one thing. Although you have 6m of optics, lighting cables are not that long, they are 2x 3.9m and 3x 1.9m, so be aware of that when you are deciding what to light up and where to put module.

I was doing, out of total 10diods, 4 of them would replace OEM LED for Ambient, using OEM optic cable / optic plastic, other 4 i put in line where door handles are, and last 2 i put on sides of center console.

Modules i put under seats, because of short cable (1.9m, remember?), one i out on rear leg ventilation, and the other i put inside subwoofer compartment (which i recomend is the better option, it is covered and no one can brake this). Cables are going under carpet, inside of A and B pillars-plastic, through factory rubbery hose that is used for door wiring. Down ambient, as said used OEM optics, which i needed to brush a little, and upper ambient i attached optics, drilled so small hole that wasnt visible, and pull optics inside door where i attached with LED housing. I did have to extend wires for elec.input, but that is easiest part. Hardest part was to push LED housing through rubbery hose between door and car itself.

But it was all worth it, trust me. If you are reading this, and wondering how it would look, IMO, just do it!!

P.S: sorry for typing errors and my english, it is not my mother language, but i am giving my best at describing you everything
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-18-2021, 02:40 PM   #2
Vucko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 630i E63

And here will post couple of pictures of how i did this..

Since i am posting this from my phone, i cant see order of pictures, so sorry fot that.

On one of pictures you see ruber hose i used for wiring. On other photo, you see under the hood-release handle, there us FRM so you have to bypass that by slightliy pulling it out (2 plastic screws, up and down).

Again, in third photo you see how door look like when door panel is removed, you have to slice through this foam for cables to come out.

And last photo is to see how transparent is this, and where i drilled the hole for optic. I saw some people doing the hole line, without drilling anything, but i did not like that, so this i my way of doing it.

Couple of extra photos showing the set before installment
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
lancerr343.50
      06-01-2021, 01:20 AM   #3
Lestat69
Rep
Drives: 2012 e70 x5m

come to nj and do mine lol
Appreciate 0