XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-22-2019, 07:02 AM   #485
Leeboy
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: X5 xdrive 50i

Garage List
2011 BMW x50i  [0.00]
Hi, I am a new member too and just bought a second hand x50i
Just after I picked it up blue smoke was everywhere!!!
I drove it some 900Kms home from Sydney and it went perfectly. WATCHED OIL LEVEL CLOSELY. It did slow down and only got to half level. Drove so well. Very impressed. Unfortunately I did not do enough homework on the N63 engine’s problems and now have been doing a lot, especially on this site. thanks for all the good stuff. I jus hope now after the night to cool off the x5 blew enormous smoke next morning and ran really rough and a kind of air pumping sound from under the bonnet and of course the Alarms came up on the dash! Booked it into BMW to be diagnosed but after this blog I think I know what needs to be done. I just hope the Australian BMW situation is same as US and will replace motor or at least repair it. Will post again soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 01:29 PM   #486
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

This sounds just like why ppl are dumping these vehicles, they own them for a few years, lots of lights start coming on or the oil smoke, they freak and sell them....
Congrats on the new ride!
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 08:52 PM   #487
dudezi
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

to share my experience, just got the car back , waited 6 months for the engine. i had the 69,xxx miles, paid 15% , new engine, new turbos, new battery, a long list of accessories.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 06:04 PM   #488
och
Banned
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
2012 X5 xDrive50i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2017 X6M  [0.00]
2013 Suzuki Bouleva ...  [0.00]
I've done the recall back in 2014 or 2015, with 17k on the clock. Now the car has over 50k, and I think the injectors are going back again. Today it threw a CEL, and there is a strong sulfur smell out of the exhaust.

Do these replaced injectors have an extended warranty, or am I on my own if I want to replace them again?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 09:44 PM   #489
och
Banned
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
2012 X5 xDrive50i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2017 X6M  [0.00]
2013 Suzuki Bouleva ...  [0.00]
edit wrong thread

Last edited by och; 12-20-2019 at 10:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 09:19 PM   #490
N63Victum
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

Do I qualify for the Customer Care Program?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickG_TechniqueTuning View Post
This is a 2-part campaign by BMW for cars with the N63 engine. It was announced on 12/29/2014 and called "N63 Customer Care Package", bulletin B001314. The highlights are:

- check the timing chain for stretch; replace if necessary
- check the following items and replace if necessary: fuel injectors, mass air flow sensors, crankcase vent lines, battery, engine vacuum pump, low pressure fuel sensor
- change the oil service interval to 12 months/10,000 miles

Even if your car is out of warranty (ie, 5 years old and has 200k miles), it is covered by this campaign and costs the owner nothing. The dealers are instructed to call all N63 owners in their area and schedule the cars to come in for this service, pending the dealership's availability. The dealership is instructed to provide a loaner car of equal or higher class to the customer (per N63 Customer Care Package Outbound Service Script document).

BMW is also offering extra incentives for owners affected by this campaign to trade in their N63 vehicle and purchase a new car (called the N63 Customer Loyalty Offer, details in a separate sales bulletin).

Also associated with this campaign is the "N63 Customer Appreciation Program". The dealerships are authorized to provide the customer with a gift of $50 value. This could be a gas card, gift bag containing BMW Lifestyle products, vehicle detailing, etc.
I have a 2012 X5 i50 E70. I am the second owner. The Vehicle has 142K miles on it. I've had $12,000 of work done on it last week. Replaced the Valve Stem seals, PCV assemblies, Flywheel replaced (wobbling) Rear main seal. Battery, Alternator, Turbo oil exhaust pump. a bunch of suspension stuff.

It runs great now but it still burns oil. It still smokes at idle and a cloud of smoke appears when I accelerate from idle at a stop then disappears. Also, when I stop the car. Shut the engine off, get out and walk around back smoke continues to come out of the exhaust tail pipes for about a minute or two. Could this smoke be coming from all the oil the turbos and the faulty valve stem seals dumped into the exhaust system? Is there anyway to clean the oil from the exhaust system besides driving it and burning it out? I don't want to start the damn thing on fire.

Finally and related to the quoted post. Does anyone know if I qualify for this Customer Care Program? I purchased the car from a small Non Certified BMW dealer. Would that disqualify me from participation in the program?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 11:09 PM   #491
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by N63Victum View Post
I have a 2012 X5 i50 E70. I am the second owner. The Vehicle has 142K miles on it. I've had $12,000 of work done on it last week. Replaced the Valve Stem seals, PCV assemblies, Flywheel replaced (wobbling) Rear main seal. Battery, Alternator, Turbo oil exhaust pump. a bunch of suspension stuff.

It runs great now but it still burns oil. It still smokes at idle and a cloud of smoke appears when I accelerate from idle at a stop then disappears. Also, when I stop the car. Shut the engine off, get out and walk around back smoke continues to come out of the exhaust tail pipes for about a minute or two. Could this smoke be coming from all the oil the turbos and the faulty valve stem seals dumped into the exhaust system? Is there anyway to clean the oil from the exhaust system besides driving it and burning it out? I don't want to start the damn thing on fire.

Finally and related to the quoted post. Does anyone know if I qualify for this Customer Care Program? I purchased the car from a small Non Certified BMW dealer. Would that disqualify me from participation in the program?
Did they replace the turbo oil return lines? these are known to clog on the N63 and will cause oil pressure to build in the turbos and to leak out the seals into the intake. Also did they replace all of the Crank Case ventilation tubes?

As for the CCP program, you can go on BMW's website and enter you VIN to see if you qualify but with that much mileage I think you are on your own.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 04:59 AM   #492
N63Victum
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennis View Post
I gotta admit, I'm so happy BMW is stepping up to the plate on this one. I think it's BS they're not calling it a recall, but if I was in their shoes I might have done the same damn thing.

I've got my service scheduled for next week. I hope they replace every damn part under the sun that is covered by the bulletin. If this fixes all the nagging problems I've had with the X5 I feel like I'll be happy to keep owning and driving it. I've had it less than 2 years and have already had fleeting thoughts of trading it.

The crankcase ventilation is good news for me. I've been going through oil like crazy. Averaging 1 quart every month or 900 miles since about last April. I'm really hoping this fixes that too.

Did it smoke too?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 05:29 AM   #493
N63Victum
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter X5 View Post
Mine was approved this week for valve stem seal repairs. $0 out of pocket. 63k miles and I was burning 1 qt about every 500 miles. I asked my SA why mine was approved for "repair" while it seems everyone else with similar miles is getting a full replacement. He can't answer the question and says it's up to BMW NA. Anyone have any insight here. Do I / should I be pushing back on this? Thanks in advance for any advice or lessons learned.
Were you getting oil burning out of your exhaust or just disappearing under the car?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 05:35 AM   #494
N63Victum
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter X5 View Post
Mine was approved this week for valve stem seal repairs. $0 out of pocket. 63k miles and I was burning 1 qt about every 500 miles. I asked my SA why mine was approved for "repair" while it seems everyone else with similar miles is getting a full replacement. He can't answer the question and says it's up to BMW NA. Anyone have any insight here. Do I / should I be pushing back on this? Thanks in advance for any advice or lessons learned.
Were you getting oil burning out of your exhaust or just disappearing under the car?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 05:42 AM   #495
N63Victum
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Mine was a bit worse, about a Quart every 350-400 miles (have 144,000) and huge plume of smoke at every stop light, but with catch-cans and adjusting the crank-case pressure to a negative 8 psi made all the difference, now only burn a pint every 1200-1500 miles (depending how hard I drive it) and no more smoke out the pipe at stops. Its not a bad job to do but is time consuming and will kill an entire day to set it up and about 300 dollars in parts to do it right. Well worth it though. You will also notice a nice boost in throttle response and power off the line.
Any instructions on how to do this and what parts are needed? I have the same problem with my 2012 X5 N63
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 05:45 AM   #496
N63Victum
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatmizr View Post
I wanted to bring this up again and see what's what...
Much earlier in this thread several ppl reviewed their Bang lawsuit papers and some said they read instructions saying that they had to "apply" before a certain date to be part of the lawsuit.
I swear I read mine three times and it stated flat out, that "by doing nothing, you will be included in the lawsuit." I saw a couple other options like if you wanted to sue BMW on your own, you had to opt out, etc.

I just wondered if anyone above who has initiated the lawsuit replacement process could chime in on how they did so. Did you just drive into the dealership with your papers? Or did you "apply" somehow first?
It wouldn't matter now would it? Regarding Bang. Wasn't the time frame for submitting a a claim to the dealer over in 2018?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 06:41 AM   #497
N63Victum
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Did they replace the turbo oil return lines? these are known to clog on the N63 and will cause oil pressure to build in the turbos and to leak out the seals into the intake. Also did they replace all of the Crank Case ventilation tubes?

As for the CCP program, you can go on BMW's website and enter you VIN to see if you qualify but with that much mileage I think you are on your own.
Thank you so much. I'll check and see if those other items were replaced. Re the CCP program. I registered my car and VIN at the BMW website but don't see anything specifically related to the CCP to enter your vin and check to see if your qualified. Can you direct me to a dropdown menu for it or send me a URL. Thanks again.
Richard
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 06:48 AM   #498
N63Victum
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmasry17 View Post
No sir there is no deadline unless if your above 120k miles. So i suggest take it to the dealer and ask them to do a oil consumption test and they should do it for free of charge as mentioned in the class action lawsuit settlement.
What is the deadline if you ARE above 120K? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 11:17 AM   #499
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
What is the deadline if you ARE above 120K? Thanks
I don't believe there is an expiration date. Have you tried searching for the actual bulletin and reviewed the details? Otherwise, I'd get in touch with your local dealer and have them look it up - then you know for sure where your vehicle stands with BMW.

If nothing came up for your X5 it's possible the work was already done awhile back as this bulletin came out years ago now. Either way, not sure the CCP work will correct your current issues, especially after all the work you just had done. The CCP addressed items like timing chain, crankcase vent lines, mass air flow sensors, battery, etc.

FWIW I had my valve stem seals replaced and the vehicle continued to guzzle oil. Thats where the Bang lawsuit comes in - engine replacement covered by BMW up to 80%, if approved.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 02:37 PM   #500
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
It wouldn't matter now would it? Regarding Bang. Wasn't the time frame for submitting a a claim to the dealer over in 2018?
Not sure what you are asking.
My questions you quoted were from a long time ago; since then I brought it into the dealer, and with NO paperwork or 'submitting a claim', they did the entire Valve Stem Seal replacement at zero cost to me.

I do think that the way BMW has been handling these repairs has "evolved", possibly from an exception-only to the Cust Care Pkg and finally the lawsuit response.
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 02:33 PM   #501
zumbahlenm
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5

wow so lucky found this thread. I have 2011 X5. Took mine in had all the valve seals rebuilt under warranty...even after I noticed still burns a little bit. I brought it back to get it checked but they said it passed and to monitor it. The amount is under bmw acceptable range
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 04:39 PM   #502
titanle
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 Activehybrid

is this recall or USA vehicles or does it apply to all N63 engines? I have an ex usa vehicle that I imported into Canada. Does anyone know if BMW NA will allow a recall in Canada or am I out of luck? I own a 2010 E72 Activehybrid, production date 2009-11-04.
Appreciate 0