XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum
 
TireRack





Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-13-2019, 05:29 PM   #1
sidewaysat11
New Member
0
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: 13 X5 Xdrive50i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Oil burning and Smoke is back after Valve Guide Seal replacement

About 2,000 miles ago I took my 2013 X5 Xdrive50i (N63) in to the dealer to have the Valve Guide Seals replaced under the class action warranty repair. Job was done and I picked up the car and all seemed well for about 2,000 miles. Today however, the dreaded oil smoking at extended idle returned. I tapped the throttle and a huge puff of blue smoke filled my surroundings. Did it a couple of times more and same thing. Smoke seems to go away or isn't noticeable while driving but after extended idle it is there and it's definitely OIL.

So what gives? Apparently the dealer replaced my valve guide seals?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 07:00 PM   #2
X5 MAN
Second Lieutenant
41
Rep
272
Posts

Drives: 2011 X5 50i M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: PA, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewaysat11 View Post
About 2,000 miles ago I took my 2013 X5 Xdrive50i (N63) in to the dealer to have the Valve Guide Seals replaced under the class action warranty repair. Job was done and I picked up the car and all seemed well for about 2,000 miles. Today however, the dreaded oil smoking at extended idle returned. I tapped the throttle and a huge puff of blue smoke filled my surroundings. Did it a couple of times more and same thing. Smoke seems to go away or isn't noticeable while driving but after extended idle it is there and it's definitely OIL.

So what gives? Apparently the dealer replaced my valve guide seals?
Simple solution

Don't do extended idle.

Its not good for any car. except diesels.

That is why they came up with Auto Stop/start in modern cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 08:27 PM   #3
Sophisticated Redneck
Second Lieutenant
112
Rep
232
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: AZ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewaysat11 View Post
About 2,000 miles ago I took my 2013 X5 Xdrive50i (N63) in to the dealer to have the Valve Guide Seals replaced under the class action warranty repair. Job was done and I picked up the car and all seemed well for about 2,000 miles. Today however, the dreaded oil smoking at extended idle returned. I tapped the throttle and a huge puff of blue smoke filled my surroundings. Did it a couple of times more and same thing. Smoke seems to go away or isn't noticeable while driving but after extended idle it is there and it's definitely OIL.

So what gives? Apparently the dealer replaced my valve guide seals?
How much oil is it burning? A n63 with shot valve seals will eat a quart every 750 miles or so. Have you had to add any since the repair/what's the status of the oil gauge?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 08:31 PM   #4
sidewaysat11
New Member
0
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: 13 X5 Xdrive50i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
How much oil is it burning? A n63 with shot valve seals will eat a quart every 750 miles or so. Have you had to add any since the repair/what's the status of the oil gauge?
The oil measurement gauge didn't seem to move for about 1,800 miles after the job was done and then suddenly in the last two weeks and a few hundred miles it dropped almost a quart. Possible they didn't do the job well? Makes no sense that I'm having this issue again 2,000 miles after a full valve seal replacement.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 09:38 PM   #5
95wildtt
Need mo $$s
95wildtt's Avatar
United_States
31
Rep
127
Posts

Drives: 2008 X5 4.8i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indianapolis

iTrader: (0)

Almost sounds like they put some good oil additives in to get you to 2000 miles, but didnít actually do the work.

They donít have a 2000 mile warranty do they?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 02:56 AM   #6
Sophisticated Redneck
Second Lieutenant
112
Rep
232
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: AZ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewaysat11 View Post
The oil measurement gauge didn't seem to move for about 1,800 miles after the job was done and then suddenly in the last two weeks and a few hundred miles it dropped almost a quart. Possible they didn't do the job well? Makes no sense that I'm having this issue again 2,000 miles after a full valve seal replacement.
Check your turbo oil return lines. N63 have issues with coking up the lines. Once they are blocked, oil has nowhere to go but into intake/exhaust. Easy way to check is to pull off the air cleaner assembly off one of the turbos. If it's wet with oil inside, your lines are clogged. It happened on mine and was burning a quart ever 200 miles!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 03:22 AM   #7
BettyWhite
Enlisted Member
United_States
17
Rep
31
Posts

Drives: 2017 X5 335d
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewaysat11 View Post
About 2,000 miles ago I took my 2013 X5 Xdrive50i (N63) in to the dealer to have the Valve Guide Seals replaced under the class action warranty repair. Job was done and I picked up the car and all seemed well for about 2,000 miles. Today however, the dreaded oil smoking at extended idle returned. I tapped the throttle and a huge puff of blue smoke filled my surroundings. Did it a couple of times more and same thing. Smoke seems to go away or isn't noticeable while driving but after extended idle it is there and it's definitely OIL.

So what gives? Apparently the dealer replaced my valve guide seals?
Take it back!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 06:37 AM   #8
Dave00
New Member
United_States
6
Rep
23
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW X5M
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 MAN View Post
Simple solution

Don't do extended idle.

Its not good for any car. except diesels.

That is why they came up with Auto Stop/start in modern cars.
Ummm no!!! I agree that extended periods of time idling for gas motors is not the best, but it's not detrimental to the motor and definitely not the reason why they came up and started implementing Start/Stop tech on modern vehicles. This was 100% solely based upon new EPA regulations and an effort by all auto manufacturers to abide by the new CAFE standards and increase MPG's on the motors.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 01:15 PM   #9
sidewaysat11
New Member
0
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: 13 X5 Xdrive50i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyWhite View Post
Take it back!
Taking it in today. Thought we were passed this..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 06:34 PM   #10
550iFreak
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
45
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 550i 6MT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: deltona FL

iTrader: (1)

Just passing through the forums.

Yup, take it back.

I did my valve seals along with other related repairs on my 2011 550i at 100k miles.

I'm at 118k. After 3 oil changes, no oil loss was reported. Only negligent loss shown. The oil gauge report max throughout each service performed.

9 quarts went in, 8 to 8.5 quarts came back out after 5500 or so miles. And it's under mixed driving from easy city driving to high speed pulls on the highway and extended highway runs. Even took her onto the track for an event.

I also try to not do extended idling unless I have no other choice ( i.e. chik fila drive thru lines, or getting something simple in the store while my fiance waits in the car in the hot Florida summer).

No issues shown on that.

The 90 degree Celsius thermostat mod I performed at 80k miles helped tremendously.

Take it back......doesn't seem right.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 05:03 PM   #11
Autobacs
Private First Class
Autobacs's Avatar
40
Rep
126
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW X5M
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: WA state

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave00 View Post
Ummm no!!! I agree that extended periods of time idling for gas motors is not the best, but it's not detrimental to the motor and definitely not the reason why they came up and started implementing Start/Stop tech on modern vehicles. This was 100% solely based upon new EPA regulations and an effort by all auto manufacturers to abide by the new CAFE standards and increase MPG's on the motors.
Yup. Blame the engine and not the driver. The valve seals are screwed up, plain and simple, extended idling or not.
__________________
2011 BMW X5M
2010 Nissan GTR Alpha 10
2016 Lexus GSF
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 02:38 PM   #12
heatmizr
Lieutenant
United_States
53
Rep
442
Posts

Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

It may have been fine for 2k miles because they often overfill the oil intentionally on these engines. Or, at least that was one tactic when they burned a lot of oil, to keep the customer from seeing that warning so much.
Maybe it had been burning it the whole time since the fix and finally dropped enough to show on the gauge.
Take Redneck's advice, he knows this motor.
__________________
heatmizr [Todd]
e70 X5 50i M-Sport "The Boss" Loaded
e90 328i - her reliable DD
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star

Last edited by heatmizr; 08-19-2019 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST