XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-31-2019, 10:26 PM   #1
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

2020 Volkswagen Warranties Will Be Shorter

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...ranty-changes/

Hopefully others don't follow suit. I wonder if this will also apply to Audi? I wonder if they're trying to recover the monies lost by all their scandals.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 10:42 PM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsea_Tractor View Post
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...ranty-changes/

Hopefully others don't follow suit. I wonder if this will also apply to Audi? I wonder if they're trying to recover the monies lost by all their scandals.
VW now matches Audi, but with two years of "free" maintenance. Not a bad deal. Of course I have the 6 year one, but I drive a lot, so I'll be out of mileage in under 4 years anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 11:03 PM   #3
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Pre-scandal their warranty was 3 year / 36k for bumper to bumper, right? Reaching back into the brain when I purchased my 2013 GLI new and watched its value tank once the scandal came to light.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13282.50
      07-31-2019, 11:49 PM   #4
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Pre-scandal their warranty was 3 year / 36k for bumper to bumper, right? Reaching back into the brain when I purchased my 2013 GLI new and watched its value tank once the scandal came to light.
Yes. My 17 GTI was 3/36. My 18 GTI is 6/72 and our 18 Audi is 4/50. Sounds like 2020 VWs will also be 4/50.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 08:53 AM   #5
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I just bought a VW Golf Alltrack for my daughter. The six year warranty was a major factor in the decision. If the warranty was 4 years, I would have opted for my other choice...a Mazda CX-5.

I suspect that VW is seeing continued reliability issues and decided to offload the risk on to its purchasers rather than focus on building reliable cars. Even worse, in my mind, is lying about the reason. No one with more than a fifth grade education buys the idea that a couple of oil changes is equivalent in value to years 5 and 6 of OEM warranty! So VW's veracity is once again in question.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13282.50
      08-01-2019, 09:24 AM   #6
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Consumer screwed again, pay more for less! Hooray!
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13282.50
      08-01-2019, 10:07 AM   #7
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Did I miss the part where they still improved their warranty from 2017? 4/50 still beats all of their Japanese competitors and matches the other Germans. Outside of the Koreans, they still have the longest warranty. You guys have a weird definition of getting screwed.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 10:20 AM   #8
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Did I miss the part where they still improved their warranty from 2017? 4/50 still beats all of their Japanese competitors and matches the other Germans. Outside of the Koreans, they still have the longest warranty. You guys have a weird definition of getting screwed.
I didn't say screwed. VW allegedly set up the six year warranty because of concerns about its conduct and because its reliability has been so bad (check CR for reliability and remember that CR's reliability numbers are strictly from what it hears from its readers). Hyundai and Kia did that but then cleaned up its reliability so it now makes reliable cars. Apparently VW decided that improving reliability was too expensive so it just cut back on its warranty.

Yes...it is the same as MB and BMW but those cars are way more reliable than VWs.

So to me, and I suspect to a number of others, this looks like the old VW resurfacing.

Do I trust a Toyota with a three year warranty more than a VW with a 4 year warranty...you betcha!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 10:26 AM   #9
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

I've owned a few Mazdas that were wildly less reliable than my VW's and Audi's. My BMW's have been about the same as my VAG products and I've never felt like the 4/50 is deficient.

Again, I put 20-25k miles a year on my cars, so warranties aren't a big factor in what I buy. Oddly though, my 18 had fewer small issues than my 17 and hasn't required any warranty work, while the 17 did.

I do find "free" maintenance to be just about meaningless on any brand though and certainly don't understand the absurd price to extend it.

And it is amusing that two folks that have 6/72 warranties are the ones talking about this. I'll be curious to see what the powertrain warranty on the ID cars is, I've got a deposit down on the Van just for giggles.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 10:42 AM   #10
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I have a proposal for VW. If the real purpose is as stated, then VW is valuing the two years of maintenance as being at least equal to years 5 and 6 of OEM warranty. So then I assume VW will sell its customers an extended OEM warranty for years 5 and 6 for the cost of two oil changes.

I can't wait to get this deal!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 10:47 AM   #11
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I have a proposal for VW. If the real purpose is as stated, then VW is valuing the two years of maintenance as being at least equal to years 5 and 6 of OEM warranty. So then I assume VW will sell its customers an extended OEM warranty for years 5 and 6 for the cost of two oil changes.

I can't wait to get this deal!
My 17 was totaled at a little under a year. My insurance estimated that the diminished value due to 18's having double the warranty was around $2,500. So call it $800/yr. I'd say that's a fair estimation for up front valuation. VW is effectively decreasing the perceived value of their 2020 cars by about $1,600 each compared to equivalent 2019 cars. Dealers will have a hard time selling new inventory while 2019's sit on the lot.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 11:29 AM   #12
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I've owned a few Mazdas that were wildly less reliable than my VW's and Audi's. My BMW's have been about the same as my VAG products and I've never felt like the 4/50 is deficient.

Again, I put 20-25k miles a year on my cars, so warranties aren't a big factor in what I buy. Oddly though, my 18 had fewer small issues than my 17 and hasn't required any warranty work, while the 17 did.

I do find "free" maintenance to be just about meaningless on any brand though and certainly don't understand the absurd price to extend it.

And it is amusing that two folks that have 6/72 warranties are the ones talking about this. I'll be curious to see what the powertrain warranty on the ID cars is, I've got a deposit down on the Van just for giggles.
Well...I am one of those folks. I just bought a VW Golf Alltrack for my daughter. I stupidly believed that the change to a six year OEM warranty meant that VW was committed to making more reliable cars. But apparently it was just a marketing ploy for a few years to get past Dieselgate.

Yes...I am sort of protected by the six year warranty but only sort of as I did expect that VW was committed since it started the six year warranty to improving its reliability. My daughter wants to keep the car for a long time so reliability past the warranty is also important.

My daughter loves her new Alltrack. I just hope she will continue to do so as the years add up.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 11:47 AM   #13
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

They better have some good feature upgrades on the 2020's or everyone will buy the leftover 19's with the longer warranty.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13282.50
      08-02-2019, 09:40 PM   #14
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
I bought a 2019 Tiguan for my son, and the warranty was a strong factor in the decision. Sorry to see the 6 year coverage go. VW is now on par with others.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13282.50
      08-03-2019, 07:32 AM   #15
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
I bought a 2019 Tiguan for my son, and the warranty was a strong factor in the decision. Sorry to see the 6 year coverage go. VW is now on par with others.
I would say less so. Here is a link to a comparison of warranties (VW is at the top because of the six year warranty; turn it into a four year warranty and watch it drop):

https://www.motor1.com/features/2532...le-warranties/

Notice that aside from the Germans and some notorious Italian (e.g. Fiat) car makers, the powertrain warranties tend to be much, much longer for everyone else. Now factor in VW's notorious reliability issues and I can see why VW is dropping the warranty length.

But to me the biggest issue is that VW lied to us about "clean diesel" and now it is lying about the reason for the change. It seems to have a culture of deception.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 02:45 PM   #16
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

two weeks after purchase, my daughter reached up for the grab handle and it came loose. Not the best sign for reliability.

As I said, without the 6 year warranty, I would not have bought the car and this experience demonstrates to me why.
Appreciate 0