XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-12-2019, 01:57 PM   #1
gjnorthey
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW x5 50

2011 BMW X5 M - Fuel Injector issues

Hello and greetings all,

I have a 2011 X5 M that recently threw a cylinder 4 misfire code. We took it in to a local dealer to have it looked at and apparently the injector was installed loose and rattled around and enlarged the port to the point that the injector will no longer seat itself.

The dealer is recommending a new engine at roughly $12k USD. Anyone have experience like this?

It's too bad. Nice vehicle other than that. Not looking forward to dumping that kind of change in a repair.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Best,
Gary
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 03:31 PM   #2
pearlpower
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Guessing #3 is where the hole enlarged. Interesting, I suppose they do not feel a new injector with a new seal with solve this. Myself, I would just replace the head with a good used one, but the labor vs an engine swap.....even with moving over everything to the new motor. I wish I could offer more, first I have heard of this. Keep us posted.

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 03:52 PM   #3
Nyc Dito
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjnorthey View Post
Hello and greetings all,

I have a 2011 X5 M that recently threw a cylinder 4 misfire code. We took it in to a local dealer to have it looked at and apparently the injector was installed loose and rattled around and enlarged the port to the point that the injector will no longer seat itself.

The dealer is recommending a new engine at roughly $12k USD. Anyone have experience like this?

It's too bad. Nice vehicle other than that. Not looking forward to dumping that kind of change in a repair.

Best,
Gary
Do you have any documentation showing that BMW got involved, as in a PUMA case maybe? or did it stay at the dealer level?
      08-12-2019, 07:45 PM   #4
gjnorthey
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW x5 50

Hello,

Not sure of any PUMA case but looking back through the warranty history and I see back in July of 2017 it was in for a B110614 N63 Engine Customer Care Package service.

Looking closer at that indicates there may have been issues with improperly installed/engineered fuel injectors. Not sure if the injectors were replaced at that time though.

We had the vehicle in the shop in Feb. of 2019 for the driver and passenger air bag recall and at that time they replaced the #5 fuel injector due to "improperly installed" according to the service adviser.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago and the car threw the "cylinder #4 misfire". They were going to replace the spark plug and coil when they found the injector on #4 was loose causing the injector port to be "wallowed out". They also found injector #3 was loose but was held in place by the fuel line. The injector that they removed was an OEM part but not original to the vehicle.

Calling the dealer in the morning but this is starting not to pass the smell test to me.

Thanks,
Gary
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 09:52 PM   #5
TwinSnailz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5//M

This makes zero sense. #3 and 4 injectors are held down with a sprung bracket. Without that bracket, your injectors will fly out of the engine at first start as they were stating “loose”. No way will a flimsy fuel line is going to hold down the injector with the high pressure combustion. LOL
Something for you to analyze about.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 05:44 AM   #6
X5 MAN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011X5 50iM-Sport;2016X3 35i M

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjnorthey View Post
Hello and greetings all,

Best,
Gary

Ask the same dealer to trade in the X5. No way its worth putting $12 k into it.
Appreciate 0