XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

05-24-2019, 09:18 AM   #1
jschill31@gmail.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6M

Carly coding for 2013-2014 X6M

Hello,

I just wanted to drop a note for anyone on the fence about if Carly works or not. My car is actually registered as a 2014 X6M (E71) but really it has the guts of the 2013. This has made it a challenge to decide what actually works when coding and what does not. I figured I would take a minute to help anyone else in the same situation (late model year 2013).

I can say finding a OBD reader that works consistently was difficult. I finally bit the bullet and purchased the over priced Carly adapter. There unit connected first try! I downloaded their "lite" version and looked at the different CPU's. Sometimes I see 8, sometimes I see 12 but typically it sticks with 10.

I was able to code everything I wanted to except the exhaust toggle and blinkers in the HUD. Very simple to use and with video in motion not bad for a total of $130. Yes it is a hot mess that this is a "subscription" based service now...but once you code something it doesn't just stop working. Now if you take a firmware update or have a complete electrical meltdown yea your stuff may stop working.

All in all just pay for the first year and do not renew next year. All of your backups will stay with you and your device. If you get a new car just renew your subscription again and code that car. Having video in motion, folding mirrors with fob, closing hatch with fob, windows/sunroof with fob or any of the other options I consider a steal at that price. Especially when it took all of 20 minutes to do.

Cheers
      05-24-2019, 03:59 PM   #2
Mightymaus
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Graphite/Black leather X4 M40i

Garage List
2012 X6 M  [0.00]
I used it to register a new battery I put in. I have a 2012 E71 M. I did as you subscribed for a year than cancelled the renew. I think I had to in order to use the register battery function.

as you mentioned in your post it's very easy to use.

At the time I couldn't access the lights computer. And Carly warned me not to access it. Which I didn't. Later on I took it to an Indy shop. He did a software update and the things I wanted to change have been changed. Will Carly access that computer? IDK I have no need to try now.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 04:50 PM   #3
jschill31@gmail.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6M

Hello,

The lights CPU is one I can access. There are several changes that can be made including halo and side markers.

Cheers