XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

06-29-2018, 10:16 AM   #1
OvalPiston
Rep
Drives: X6M

HELP - dealer says USB cable "fried" the computer!

So I took my X6M to the dealer for a CEL.

In doing the diagnostics, they said some computer got "fried". But it's a known issue *whenever a diagnostic is done" and they replaced it at no charge. But they said they had to update the software in the car with the new computer.

Left the car overnight b/c they said it would take "all night" to download and do the upgrade.

Picked it up and no radio, nav, or windows. Took it back and they saw a non-BMW cable in the center console. Not plugged in to the car (I use it when my daughter brings her iPhone so I can plug it into my cigarette lighter charger).

I plugged it in once last summer to her iphone but used bluetooth ever since.

Now they are saying the reason those systems don't work because it's a non-BMW cable and they want to charge me $1000 to replace it. I said that has nothing to do with it, even if it was plugged in and nothing was attached.

Then they wanted $500 to fix it. I don't know what they did the night before, whether they joyrode in it and plugged their own phone into the jack or what.

I smell a scam.

Anyone hear of plugging an iphone into the usb port in an X6 causing the computer/amp to blow?

Appreciate any thoughts.

Last edited by OvalPiston; 07-01-2018 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 10:32 AM   #2
urabus040
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6 I35

Garage List
2014 BMW X6  [0.00]
I call bullshit, i had a 530xi, brought it to the dealer for a oil change and asked to turn the DRL off, said yeah sure, go it back go in and then it stated no bluetooth connection, this was for only phone no media stream. I asked whats this and was told it needed a sleep cycle 24hrs and computers would reset,.........well it didnt, my voice input "everest" module was inop and when i asked as they were the last to fiddle with it i was told it was a 1500 dollar part,i raised hell with bmw NA and due to the car being 7yrs old they said nothing we can do. After that i never went to any dealer again. They were the last to have the car its their fault but they will look for ANY reason to put you at fault and you to pay the bill.
Appreciate 0