XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-19-2022, 08:07 PM   #265
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep
Drives: E61

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcs531 View Post
Are you going for dedicated snow tires? They are a different beast than all seasons, especially when you're dealing with wider than average tires.
I already have a set of Michelin Latitude Alpin LA2s. I just need another set of 10" wheels to put them on.
- EOS Port Injection Manifold, Fuel-It: Stg 2 LPFP +Lines +Ethanol Sensor
- JB4, Hexon RR550s, Custom Inlet, AR DPs, 3" Exhaust, VRSF 7" IC, ER CP +Tial
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 08:42 PM   #266
silverlab
Rep
Drives: 2012 x5 35d

Did you get the rear acoustic engine cover from the 3 series as well or just the main piece?

Also, what sock are you using on your filter and how do you like it in the snow/rain?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 09:56 AM   #267
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlab View Post
Did you get the rear acoustic engine cover from the 3 series as well or just the main piece?

Also, what sock are you using on your filter and how do you like it in the snow/rain?
Yes on rear 335D cover, sock is K&N Dry charger.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 11:18 AM   #268
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

I am pleased to say I have some catching up to do on the build thread since the X5 has received some love recently.

We will start with some remaining pics from Fall in CO and peanut butter mud.

Fall then turned to Winter...

My excitement for the M57 X5 platform grows as Santjer Performance Development charges forward with development. It's nice to see a tuner FINALLY get the M57 to it's true potential. Delete + Tune is fun but this is the sort of performance I am after. You can put the hurt on X5Ms or SRT8s and then add some salt to the wound since you get 2-3x the fuel economy.

SPD now has their dual HPFP setup available for the X5, it paired with larger injectors, Tim's hybrid turbos (the turbo I run), and valve springs -this is the result. From where my X5 stands it's roughly $5k to get to this level, sign me up! The 1LE Camaro wheels look great on his X5, wonder where he got the idea!

I had some poor turbo response which turned out being a vacuum leak. Ever since my original deletes I had a vac line running to my EGR pressure converter with the output capped and the cap was deteriorated. The vac system is now capped at the main vac line and the EGR PC is now fully disconnected. I was scratching my head a bit since M57s should have 28+in/hg and I was only getting 24. It wasn't until I had a conversation with my buddy who is a pilot and me mentioned vacuum decreases as elevation increases, factoring in my ~5,500ft the conversion makes my 24in/hg a near perfect 29in/hg at sea level.

I still have this super annoying *squeal* which happens at lower RPM and vanishes at the 3,000rpm crossover. It sounds like an exhaust or boost leak and I haven't been able to find any signs or exhaust leak from the manifold or turbo connections, no signs of carbon leaking. I have replaced my ATM silicone pipes once already; they weep so much oil it's hard to ID any potential boost leaks. Eventually I will build a mainly aluminum up-pipe from the intercooler to intake with some Vanjen clamps or similar. I did notice some signs of weeping from one of my swirlflap plugs so I ordered a new set of o-rings. I doubt this is my main issue but any amount of boost that's contained is a good thing.

As you can see in this photo the flap for the lower tailgate had broken all of it's plastic tabs for spring retention so it was just flopping around. Hilariously used beat-up ones are sold on eBay for $140 and a new OEM part was $160 from FCP. No brainer.

From multiple times adjusting and readjusting the lower latch eyelet in hopes of getting a tight seal on the cargo hatch I damaged the threads on the unit so I snagged a used lower latch assembly from a fellow diesel owner. It was a very easy repair.

My 2 biggest complaints with the X5 are it's poor ride quality and noise from the interior -both road/wind noise and more so the banging, creaking, and crackling of the interior. It is now time to quiet this thing down. I will be adding sound deadening materials in phases as I am able to tackle the projects, I just completed what can be considered Phase 1 which included adding Kilmat to the doors, rear hatch, and cargo floor.

I did an uncharacteristically poor job photo-documenting the project, my apologies. Here is a photo as I started the cargo floor, when I was done every section of visible metal was covered and the sections of floor which weren't covered by the carpet has Noico Red 8mm closed cell foam laid on top. My X5 originally had a 3rd row which was removed but the OEM carpet has quiet thick foam under it so I didn't add any CCF under as I thought it would be redundant.

It's cold in Colorado but with a couple 50+F days I utilized the sunshine to warm the X5, butyl, and myself.

Here is another "before" photo which has no "after" lol. Both of these D-pillar areas by the taillights got the treatment. With the fuse panels removed you can access a large cavity which reaches towards the fuel cap. I was able to stuff an entire 16"x10" sheet of Kilmat up there and it was nearly out of sight. All metal was covered with Kilmat and CCF.

Hey! A before/after photo! This isn't a very critical area for sound deadening but it does show the detail work involved. Especially on the tailgate there are multiple locations for clips to mount that you must be aware of, much like this.

Lower and upper tailgate complete

With every trim piece removed I am adding some felt tape between plastic-plastic connections to hush the cracks and squeaks. This has been veryn effective so far and I can't wait to do the rest of the interior. STFU interior!
My driveway has a 10 degree pitch and when I would back up at an angle the cargo area would make all kinds of noises when the chassis flexed, the felt greatly reduces these noises.

I don't have any photos of the doors but I installed Kilmat on the outer panels (installed on the inside of the exterior door panels), no CCF as I wasn't confident there would be clearance for the windows when rolled down. I am very happy with the results, the most noticeable difference is the solid "thud" the doors now have, be gone hollow resonance! Hopefully the video works, if not this is the link, if you can't hear the difference get better speakers
Appreciate 1
Nyc Dito112.50
      11-29-2022, 02:41 PM   #269
silverlab
Rep
Drives: 2012 x5 35d

Did you end up keeping your catch can or removing it? Curious of your thoughts on if the pros outweigh the cons for installing one
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 10:29 AM   #270
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlab View Post
Did you end up keeping your catch can or removing it? Curious of your thoughts on if the pros outweigh the cons for installing one
I removed it as I think it was causing my turbo to smoke but am not 100% sure. I might reinstall just to confirm but haven't gotten around to it.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 11:02 AM   #271
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

I have completed my sound deadening project, for now. I will add some more when it's convenient but the majority of work has been done. I made a separate thread for it here:
https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show...9#post29691279

Final wave of vacuum system V2

DIY black roundels.

With the roundel off the car I drilled a hole in the middle so I could push the metal cap out.

Scrape and scuff

Prep, tape, prime, paint

3M VHB on the rear for mounting

Inner roundel reattached with JB Weld, laser aligned!

A couple glamour shots with the new roundels installed. I also raised the KWs to max height.

Early Christmas gift

Local LKQ yard treasure hunting

First time using the ski pass in my E61!

2nd row seat base from 2-row X5.

After some angle grinder action

+ sound deadening

Cargo floor before

Test fitting and trimming carpet and side cargo panels

Installed, now my cargo floor is secured in place.

Brrrr

Appreciate 1
Nyc Dito112.50
      01-10-2023, 07:40 PM   #272
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

2022 ended with a nice road trip to Flagstaff, AZ for New Years. It was a fun opportunity to explore more of the Rockies and put the X5 to work. On the outbound trip there was "motivated" driving to get as far as possible before we hit weather a couple hundred miles in, once we hit snow the pace simmered and the second half of the trip through Durango and Cortez was mellow. I filled up just outside Flagstaff and the trip yielded 29.5mpg over the 580 miles.

On the return leg we took a different route North from Flagstaff to Moab, UT so we could take i70E and pass through Vail. With the total trip being 600+ miles from AZ to CO this was a nice opportunity to get a nice clean pull for fuel efficiency, the X5 was also free of any roof cargo box and/or mountain bike air-brakes hanging off the back.

So often the fuel efficiency deteriorates quickly with urban (or spirited) driving and having a vehicle with a long range seldomly do you get mostly highway miles on a tank. The speed limits on our route were mostly 65mph except for i70 where it was 70/75mph but weather and some congestion slowed the flow of traffic. Average speed on the return trip was ~65mph which worked to the X5's advantage as efficiency really suffer at speeds above 70mph, even with my 3.15 gearing.

On this return trip elevation was between 5,000-11,000+ft with a cumulative elevation gain of 20,000ft. No doubt the X5 would be more efficient on a level surface especially at sea level with denser air but the X5 seems to do well with rolling hills and elevation gain where there is an equal amount of elevation lost afterwards.

The X5 returned an impressive 35.5mpg over 650miles. My goal was to make the trip in 1 tank which I did easily. I calculated my theoretical range if I kept driving and it was 800+ miles for the tank! Not bad for a 5,000lb athletic brick that makes great power, runs 295 section width tires, and was filled with cargo. Can't beat the power + efficiency of a diesel. I plan on enjoying them while I can before they are phased out. It also makes me want to build a X7 M50d or SQ7 TDI here in the US. mmmmmmm Anyway, onto the pics.

My original plan was to keep my all seasons on my 20x11 wheels and put the snow tires on another 20x10 set but I didn't get my act together quickly enough and had to swap the snow tires onto my 20x11s.

Hitting weather in the Rockies on the outbound trip ... and potty break for the doggo. Platinum Grey Metallic is such a cool color!

Yummy

Did I mention PGM is a cool paint color?

Early morning departure from Flagstaff

Following the Colorado River in Moab

Lunch just outside Breckenridge

Who's a good boi?

7mph seems a bit excessive

What an engine!

Appreciate 1
Nyc Dito112.50
      01-24-2023, 10:03 AM   #273
wcs531
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi / E70 X5d

Have you only upgraded the fog lights in the front? I saw you had DIYs for headlights on the e60 and was curious if you were thinking about something similar for the e70?

My headlights have seen better days and I was debating just cleaning/sealing with 2k, or actually taking them apart and upgrading the projector like this guys does in the video below around 18:40 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEseFmTjW_A?t=1120

Since you seem to have a good deal of knowledge on the subject, I was curious if you would choose similar components or suggest something else? Lighting performance would be top priority but would probably try to mute the bright silver/chrome while I had them apart.

Thanks

Last edited by wcs531; 01-24-2023 at 10:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 11:58 AM   #274
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Have you only upgraded the fog lights in the front? I saw you had DIYs for headlights on the e60 and was curious if you were thinking about something similar for the e70?

Since you seem to have a good deal of knowledge on the subject, I was curious if you would choose similar components or suggest something else? Lighting performance would be top priority but would probably try to mute the bright silver/chrome while I had them apart.

Thanks
You have a 6th sense to know I am about to start my headlight retrofit! I have some components in the mail and I am trying to source a pair of LCI lights as we speak.

My fogs are upgraded and I covered this earlier in the thread. Currently they are running Morimoto xb LED fogs but they will be replaced/upgraded with Diode Dynamics Elite Series fog lights.

As for the headlight build I will be using Lexus SC430 low-beam-only projectors for the low beam, same I used in my E61. They are amazing and as good as it gets for a low beam IMO. I have an 18" Diode Dynamics light bar behind the grill for my high beam so I don't NEED a high beam but I will be trying to fit an LED projector into the inner shroud to use as a dedicated high beam however I am not optimistic they will fit. As a consolation I will install another pair of the DD Elite fogs into the inner shroud to be used as an Aux light.

Regarding that video, overall he did a nice job on the headlight build with repairing the wiring, installing new projectors, and new bulbs. The output on those projectors don't look particularly impressive to me, the beam pattern is pretty narrow and the intensity is very focused into little balls under the steps. For a low beam I prefer a much wider beam pattern with smoother, more even light distribution throughout.

I would like to see the output from the stock E70 "E46" projector with a new chrome bowl and a clear lens swap. It might be as good, if not better than the projectors he installed and you wouldn't have to spend money on brackets or spend time trimming.

I applaud anyone tackling a headlight retrofit but being a headlight nerd there are things I would do differently but my high standards is what makes me a headlight nerd.
Appreciate 1
Nyc Dito112.50
      01-24-2023, 09:09 PM   #275
wcs531
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I figured it was just a matter of time considering all the other work you've put into the car and your previous builds.

I'll have to go back and read through your headlight builds with the e61 and e90 in more detail. Any other resources that you recommend checking out to learn a bit more?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 07:46 AM   #276
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I figured it was just a matter of time considering all the other work you've put into the car and your previous builds.

I'll have to go back and read through your headlight builds with the e61 and e90 in more detail. Any other resources that you recommend checking out to learn a bit more?
What exactly are you trying to learn about?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 08:31 AM   #277
JDAURIA
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 MSport

Garage List
2005 BMW  [0.00]
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Nice to finally close the chapter on the 3rd row delete! I attempted to do this as well on my previous 35d but in the end it was just too much work so props to you. X5 looks great (as usual).

Purchase your W///AGON Stickers Here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1930190
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 08:35 AM   #278
wcs531
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbwsr View Post
What exactly are you trying to learn about?
-See examples of other builds

-Find out what projectors are used in what vehicles for performance comparisons, sourcing, and get an idea of fitment. I see the Murano and 997 use the same bi-xenons from your e90 post. It looks like the "e46" projector is used in a ton of vehicles according to theretrofitsource, but will still have different variations.

I'm assuming you're using the sc430 because its a specialized low beam, and there are no bi-xenons that can match the width while still having a decent hotspot/distance for high beam? I will definitely be following along but feel like I'll end up sticking with a bi-xenon of some kind. I see the retrofit source has clear lenses in various applications but I could not find anything as far as new chrome bowls. Upon my initial quick search all the e46 guys burn the chrome bowls out and end up retrofitting an entirely different projector.

I know the leveling and turning adds complexity, so just looking to read a bit more before asking too many stupid questions I guess.

Last edited by wcs531; 01-25-2023 at 08:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 09:17 AM   #279
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDAURIA View Post
Nice to finally close the chapter on the 3rd row delete! I attempted to do this as well on my previous 35d but in the end it was just too much work so props to you. X5 looks great (as usual).
Thanks but it isn't a full conversion. I am inclined to keep my "3rd row 2nd row" (you follow?) since it has the tilting and sliding adjustments, it's really handy to manipulate the cargo space to fit our needs. Ex, we have a road trip with our dog and a bunch of cargo we can slide the seat forward to expand cargo area and our dog still has plenty of space. The downside to this is the rear seat dictates the trim under the C pillar and consequently the R/L carpeted trim in the cargo area. I would LOVE to get rid of my R/L cargo trim which has the molded armrests for the 3rd row as it just eats up cargo area but I think keeping the adjustable 2nd row is more valuable.
Quote:
-See examples of other builds

-Find out what projectors are used in what vehicles for performance comparisons, sourcing, and get an idea of fitment. I see the Murano and 997 use the same bi-xenons from your e90 post. It looks like the "e46" projector is used in a ton of vehicles according to theretrofitsource, but will still have different variations.

I'm assuming you're using the sc430 because its a specialized low beam, and there are no bi-xenons that can match the width while still having a decent hotspot/distance for high beam? I will definitely be following along but feel like I'll end up sticking with a bi-xenon of some kind. I see the retrofit source has clear lenses in various applications but I could not find anything as far as new chrome bowls. Upon my initial quick search all the e46 guys burn the chrome bowls out and end up retrofitting an entirely different projector.

I know the leveling and turning adds complexity, so just looking to read a bit more before asking too many stupid questions I guess.
Yes, Sc430 has an amazing low beam and that is in part due to it not having a high beam and it's optics are optimized for low beam performance.

There are places that sell re-chromed E46 projectors or offer the service, some are overseas, just keep poking around. Honestly the E46 projectors are not that bad with a new bowl and a clear lens. It's not going to compete with a high end low beam only projector but compared to a lot of the aftermarket projectors on the market a "fresh" E46 projector is in the same ball park of performance.

The best resource for this stuff WAS HIDPlanet.com but the servers crashed or something. Someone informed me there are some website-recovery websites which allow you to still dig stuff up from there but I haven't tried personally. There is also "Headlight Junkies" Facebook Group which has some good stuff but a lot of BS and now it's getting flooded with LED and aftermarket stuff so there is a lot of shit projectors and twinkling LEDs you have to sift through to find the good stuff.

In general, HID projectors found in mid 90s to mid 2000s Japanese cars are usually high performers. Acura TL 3G, RL, TSX, RDX. Lexus, RX300/330/350, LS, SC, ES. Nissan Murano, Land Rover LR4, Infiniti G37

IMO Acura RL and the Lexus projectors are top performers. If you are after Bi-X the Murano and TL 3G are nice but large, G37 is decent, but I would say LR4 and RX350 are the top OEM Bi-X projectors.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 09:42 AM   #280
wcs531
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, Sc430 has an amazing low beam and that is in part due to it not having a high beam and it's optics are optimized for low beam performance.

There are places that sell re-chromed E46 projectors or offer the service, some are overseas, just keep poking around. Honestly the E46 projectors are not that bad with a new bowl and a clear lens. It's not going to compete with a high end low beam only projector but compared to a lot of the aftermarket projectors on the market a "fresh" E46 projector is in the same ball park of performance.

The best resource for this stuff WAS HIDPlanet.com but the servers crashed or something. Someone informed me there are some website-recovery websites which allow you to still dig stuff up from there but I haven't tried personally. There is also "Headlight Junkies" Facebook Group which has some good stuff but a lot of BS and now it's getting flooded with LED and aftermarket stuff so there is a lot of shit projectors and twinkling LEDs you have to sift through to find the good stuff.

In general, HID projectors found in mid 90s to mid 2000s Japanese cars are usually high performers. Acura TL 3G, RL, TSX, RDX. Lexus, RX300/330/350, LS, SC, ES. Nissan Murano, Land Rover LR4, Infiniti G37

IMO Acura RL and the Lexus projectors are top performers. If you are after Bi-X the Murano and TL 3G are nice but large, G37 is decent, but I would say LR4 and RX350 are the top OEM Bi-X projectors.
Awesome, thank you for the info. This should keep me busy for a little while.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 09:42 AM   #281
JDAURIA
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 MSport

Garage List
2005 BMW  [0.00]
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks but it isn't a full conversion. I am inclined to keep my "3rd row 2nd row" (you follow?) since it has the tilting and sliding adjustments, it's really handy to manipulate the cargo space to fit our needs. Ex, we have a road trip with our dog and a bunch of cargo we can slide the seat forward to expand cargo area and our dog still has plenty of space. The downside to this is the rear seat dictates the trim under the C pillar and consequently the R/L carpeted trim in the cargo area. I would LOVE to get rid of my R/L cargo trim which has the molded armrests for the 3rd row as it just eats up cargo area but I think keeping the adjustable 2nd row is more valuable.
I'm picking up what you're putting down. I agree that the sliding rear bench is actually a nice feature. Maybe one day i'll be back in another E70 (would be my 4th, lol). I've been looking at the F15's a bit more but aesthetically its not as pleasing (in my opinion). Or make the jump to G05.

Purchase your W///AGON Stickers Here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1930190
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 08:36 PM   #282
ddfeldmann
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw e70 x5d, bmw e93 M3

holy SH!takee has that intake been off alot. i tuned into your thread mostly to try and research more about the VAC system. there is a pressure converter on the driver side under the intake, that on mine the lines have been cut and the sensor plug pulled. Im thinking it had something to do with the swirl flap system. with your swirl flap delete, did you delete anything else under the intake?

cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 07:58 AM   #283
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDAURIA View Post
I'm picking up what you're putting down. I agree that the sliding rear bench is actually a nice feature. Maybe one day i'll be back in another E70 (would be my 4th, lol). I've been looking at the F15's a bit more but aesthetically its not as pleasing (in my opinion). Or make the jump to G05.
Yea, F15s are a bit of an ugly duckling from the front. The have great proportions in general and the longer hood + boxier front end work but the design of the headlights really F everything up IMO. However a well sorted M Sport or F85 with aggressive styling (front splitter) etc. does make for a more visually appealing package. I much prefer the E70 styling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddfeldmann View Post
holy SH!takee has that intake been off alot. i tuned into your thread mostly to try and research more about the VAC system. there is a pressure converter on the driver side under the intake, that on mine the lines have been cut and the sensor plug pulled. Im thinking it had something to do with the swirl flap system. with your swirl flap delete, did you delete anything else under the intake?

cheers
My swirl flap delete was "buy the book" so nothing abnormal and nothing else deleted.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 02:54 PM   #284
pureauto
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw X5d

Great write up man. Spent a couple hours reading this thread in detail few nights ago. Beautiful truck, amazing attention to detail. Road trips look epic.
Share your instagram name if possible, would like to see your progress.
All the best!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 07:53 PM   #285
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pureauto View Post
Great write up man. Spent a couple hours reading this thread in detail few nights ago. Beautiful truck, amazing attention to detail. Road trips look epic.
Share your instagram name if possible, would like to see your progress.
All the best!
Glad you enjoyed! IG @hoburger
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 08:17 AM   #286
wcs531
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ultra Racing now offers an upgraded front sway bar now: AR29-498 (29mm solid vs 27mm hollow).

I'm getting some squeaks over bumps which I believe is the sway bar bushings as i've replaced almost everything else preventatively, so was looking into upgrades while I'm messing with them. Pretty sure im going with the Ultra rear unless you're no longer happy with it for some reason. Front sway bar install seems A LOT more involved than the rear so I might skip that one, but figured you might be interested. In the F15 forums, which I would assume is a very similar process, someone mentions removing the radiator to install??

Post #36
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1426158&page=2
Appreciate 0