XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-18-2019, 01:04 PM   #1
pjfox23
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 35i, X5M

Help! - Valvetronic Motor Problem

Well, this is interesting.

On my regular x5, 4.8, 2007, I am getting the following codes:

002A69: Valvetronic actuator motor: power supply
002A6B: Valvetronic power limitation

Engine was starting and in severe limp mode.

Then, I did the following:

Replaced the valvetronic motors on each bank. Install went fine. I did follow the TIS directions for e70 located here: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...e-gear/BXdnwTe

This document says unscrew and screw back on, so that's what I did.

Connected everything back together, and now the engine won't even start. It's trying to crank.

I tripled checked the battery (even replaced battery with a known working battery from the x5m). I checked the two relays and 40 fuses in the Engine Bay - all good. Checked most of the wiring from the actuators to the relays - looks fine.

Tried to start again. Same codes keep coming back. I think I hear the driver's side actuator spinning, but not the passenger's side. Is it possible the eccentric shaft is stuck?

I've read online that others have manually turned the actuators until resistance happens, but I can't even see an access port. And those were for other engines.

I guess I could get better diagnostic software - heard there is "relearn the limits" part of replacing these. Some say do it every time; others says it's not needed. I did turn the car to position two, no start, no foot on the brake several times.

Any thoughts or help? Thanks.

Last edited by pjfox23; 05-18-2019 at 02:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 02:42 PM   #2
pjfox23
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 35i, X5M

Update

Used a small pick on the back of the actuators to find the manual turn option.

Turned them both full clockwise to resistance. No start.

Turned them both full counter clockwise to resistance. Engine sputtered for a while and finally started.

Now, I'm back to square one. Cleared codes, and the same codes come back.

Drove car. It's not in the severe limp mode like it was, but it's in the reduced power mode. I cleared the codes, and reduced power comes back immediately.

Grrrrr.....well, I have new actuators, which probably weren't needed at this point.

Next up: Eccentric shaft sensors???
Appreciate 0