XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-03-2019, 09:18 AM   #1
IN-FLT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Comfort Access - Lockout - Myers Class Action Lawsuit

TL;DR

Wife went to park. Put our son in car seat. Key was in a bag which was on the floor of the back seat. She closed the door. Doors locked. No attempts to open the door worked. EMS was called, Drivers side rear door vent window had to be broken in order to gain access to the vehicle.

There 'was' a lawsuit for this where owners could be compensated for expenses due to this, however, the deadline for this was just a few weeks ago - April 8, 2019.

https://comfortaccesssettlement.com/Home/portalid/0

This is literally the same story of what happened to us... https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...ttlement.shtml

This was a warm day and the car was hot when my wife and son got to the car. It was a traumatic experience for them both. Fortunately, everything ended well but I'm not looking at out of pocket repair expenses or insurance claim.

I'm trying to figure out how best to proceed.

Option 1 - DIY
I've ordered the glass and frame for about $215 ... figure ill need some sealant. Has anyone seen a writeup on this repair?

Option 2 - Insurance Claim
$500 - drop it off and someone else takes care of it.. get a warranty on the work. If trim breaks, it's covered.. might be some other minor damage that could be fixed at the same time.. possible small scratches right by the area.

Option 3 - Action Movie
Drive it through the front building of my nearest BMW dealership.

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 02:14 PM   #2
racermp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 330i

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 12:56 PM   #3
IN-FLT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Got a call back from BMW of NA today. In short, they're not gonna do shit about it. They're citing the fact that it's out of warranty as to the primary reason. I really don't see this as a warranty issue but more of a safety issue.

I think BMW should be held accountable when a child, pet or anyone else who would be incapable of operating the door handle from the inside is trapped. I dare say this is more dangerous than their airbag replacement issue, but I get it. If it's not something forced on them to do, they're not gonna do it.

Unfortunately, the time has passed to take part in the class action suit. So I think we'll pursue a small claims option.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 01:04 PM   #4
9vapors
Major
Rep
Drives: CB X5M

I agree 100%, this has nothing to do whether it's in warranty or not.
Appreciate 0