XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-03-2019, 11:54 AM   #1
drzbob
Rep
Drives: BMW x5

Sudden code "chassis stabilization malfunction"

Hi all, my 2012 X5 35D with 115K suddenly jumped out of Cruise at 80mph with this code and on the nav screen says "chassis stabilization malfunction, Xdrive is not available, drive carefully and contact our dealer". Cruise was disabled and a 4x4 symbol popped up in the center console. This occurred on a 4 lane so I stopped at the next rest stop and the code went away on start up, all fine only to reappear 30 miles down the road. When I got home I tried to read the code but my code reader says "no stored codes". So what do I do. Car is new to us we have only driven it 2000 miles! Is this a common or expensive issue? thanks bob
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 12:05 PM   #2
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

i ve seen the same code 3-4 times in last 2 years.. as long as it goes away, dont mind it.. but if it gets too frequent first thing to check is the ABS sensors.. more likely the cause of the problem..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 12:21 PM   #3
drzbob
Rep
Drives: BMW x5

thanks, I'm concerned because I have another 300 mile trip planned for Saturday. My plan is to drive it unless someone suggest differently.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 01:04 PM   #4
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by drzbob View Post
thanks, I'm concerned because I have another 300 mile trip planned for Saturday. My plan is to drive it unless someone suggest differently.
Get your battery checked ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 02:46 AM   #5
kghassan
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2011

Garage List
BMW X5 Xdrive50i / Braking and Driving Stabilization Failure

Hi All, I recently bought a BMW X5(50i) 2011. I did inspection to the car at a garage and everything is in good shape. Recently I did the following:
- jack wash
- replaced the rear broken windshield

Yesterday while my wife was driving the car, she encountered an error message at 13km/h:
ABS 4x4 Braking and driving stabilization failure. The steering wheel was heavy and no power in the car. She wasnt able to change gears from D to R or to P. She turned off the car and then unable to restart it. I came to her and found that the car cant start because battery is low. I jumpstarted as per the manual and the car is running fine. Car is starting and running fine since then except that when I put the key in, I see the indication Car on jack until it starts then all normal.

Any idea what is the issue, I read so many thready but cant link what is my issue. Battery replaced in 2017 I guess as per the receipt and it is an AGM 90AH. Please see pictures attached.

Appreciate if anyone can pinpoint the issue.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 03:11 PM   #6
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kghassan View Post
Hi All, I recently bought a BMW X5(50i) 2011. I did inspection to the car at a garage and everything is in good shape. Recently I did the following:
- jack wash
- replaced the rear broken windshield

Yesterday while my wife was driving the car, she encountered an error message at 13km/h:
ABS 4x4 Braking and driving stabilization failure. The steering wheel was heavy and no power in the car. She wasnt able to change gears from D to R or to P. She turned off the car and then unable to restart it. I came to her and found that the car cant start because battery is low. I jumpstarted as per the manual and the car is running fine. Car is starting and running fine since then except that when I put the key in, I see the indication Car on jack until it starts then all normal.

Any idea what is the issue, I read so many thready but cant link what is my issue. Battery replaced in 2017 I guess as per the receipt and it is an AGM 90AH. Please see pictures attached.

Appreciate if anyone can pinpoint the issue.

Thanks!
normally those warning lights should disappear especially after turning the wheel full right and full left.. seems it didnt go away.. after plugging the car to a computer you should see the real cause but if you cant, one of the ABS sensors can be broken or in worst case the ABS module.. but you shouldnt look for an adventure and should plug your car to a comp..
and im not sure it should be 90amp, i replaced mine last year it was 110-120amp if i remember it right.. lower amp can cause to drain battery faster.. i dont think engine difference can be a reason for different amp need since yours is V8 also..