XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-29-2019, 09:57 PM   #1
Y13LD
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E70 X5M, 997.2, Ghibli

New owner alert

After quite a long search, I finally bit the bullet and dove into the X-platform. Not my first BMW, as I still have my E36 M3 that kept my loyalty to this brand. The M3 has been great and I'm still holding on to it, but I needed to move to something with more doors, more power, more ground clearance, more comfort, and frankly more amenities. Luckily I wasn't as worried about fuel economy, so the X5M checked all my boxes. Excitement was my first priority, and thats why the X5 by itself just wouldn't do.

The M3: (flickr really ruins photo quality)

1999 M3/2/5 Cosmos/Black. KW Coils, Stromung exhaust, LTW-5 wheels, and a lot of care taken on the interior. No rips anywhere on the Vaders.

Now the X5:

60k miles, Space Gray on full perf/ black. Everything but rear ent. package (which I didn't want or need). First thoughts? Now I understand the "rubber-band" acceleration. This thing is fast (crazy fast) - but sounds so boring. 560hp should not go unnoticed. I'm 22, I could use a bit more noise, without being that muffler delete guy.

First things first was H&R springs and the roof rack. Now looking forward to wheels & exhaust and some minor cosmetic items. Whats the best way to get the V8 sound out of this thing? Catless downpipes? I'm sure the exhaust manifold is the issue compared to the N63, but there must to be a way. Also, could use some summer wheel ideas, currently on the stockers with winter tires. Time for a change.
Appreciate 1
9vapors651.50
      04-29-2019, 10:34 PM   #2
9vapors
Major
Rep
Drives: CB X5M

Hey welcome aboard! Great start with your X5 and the color is one of my favs!

As far as sound, what's your budget? How much sound is too much? Look through some of the larger journals and you can usually find just about all mods large to small to choose from.

I know for me, one of the first things I did was cut the stock exhaust off and run pipes to the rear. It wasn't too loud but certainly made a difference. I've since added a cross pipe and it's quieted things down even more while equalizing pulses. If that's too much or a route you don't want to go, you can start by wiring your exhaust flappers open for some more sound. There's lots of tutorials on her for that. If you're looking for a cheap decent sounding exhaust, the Megan is a good option.

IND sells some painted reflectors if your looking for some visual mods.

You can see and hear my exhaust in my journal, and see the direction I've gone. Mistakes I've made and common issues.
9's X5M https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1548291
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 10:58 PM   #3
Lviv777
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30 330e, C8 Vette

Show us some interior pictures!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 11:04 PM   #4
pdX5M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Catless downpipes definitely bring out some of the growl from the V8. Also the spool of the turbos is much more pronounced. Thinking of adding some electronic cutouts soon to go full send when the mood strikes.

Here's a clip of mine with AA downpipes and stock exhaust with valves open:
- 2013 X5 M - Silverstone Metallic w/ Black Perforated Complete Merino - All OEM Options - 12.5mm/20mm Spacers - Velos Stage 2 - xHP Stage 3 - AA Catless - Megan Racing Supremo - PTP Blanket - K&N Drop In -
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 11:42 PM   #5
Y13LD
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lviv777 View Post
Show us some interior pictures!
For which car lol
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 11:43 PM   #6
Y13LD
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdX5M View Post
Catless downpipes definitely bring out some of the growl from the V8. Also the spool of the turbos is much more pronounced. Thinking of adding some electronic cutouts soon to go full send when the mood strikes.

Here's a clip of mine with AA downpipes and stock exhaust with valves open:
Yeah that's where my head's at. Any CA owners have catless DPs? haven't really ever had to deal with smog issues as my M3 would pass as long as I swapped the intake back to stock but I would not be fired up to swap downpipes in and out just for smog.

Can you tell me about the tune? Looks like Velos runs the game for the X5s
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 11:53 PM   #7
pdX5M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y13LD View Post
Can you tell me about the tune? Looks like Velos runs the game for the X5s
Velos is head and shoulders above other flash tunes for the E70 platform - at least that seems to be the consensus.

I've had the tune flashed for just over a month now and I love it. So far she's running super smooth and remains just as well mannered as stock when you want to just relax. But crack that throttle open and hold on. The power feels more useable. Mid range power/torque on the highway in 60-90mph range is greatly improved and it keeps pulling hard well past that. Totally worth it in my opinion. Guys over at Velos were great to work with as well.
- 2013 X5 M - Silverstone Metallic w/ Black Perforated Complete Merino - All OEM Options - 12.5mm/20mm Spacers - Velos Stage 2 - xHP Stage 3 - AA Catless - Megan Racing Supremo - PTP Blanket - K&N Drop In -
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 11:57 PM   #8
Y13LD
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9vapors View Post
Hey welcome aboard! Great start with your X5 and the color is one of my favs!

As far as sound, what's your budget? How much sound is too much? Look through some of the larger journals and you can usually find just about all mods large to small to choose from.
https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1548291
To be honest I haven't really figured out my budget. I guess I'm still wrapping my head around the M tax for these things. I was eying the Meisterschaft for $4k but then saw that Megan is like $500 so I cant really tell where the mid priced item is.

I'm in for loud as long as i have the option to keep a valved system, or moderate if I need to take out the valves. I tend to keep the car in M mode just to get a little more volume driving around but sometimes its more comfortable to leave it in its normal mode.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 12:53 AM   #9
Lviv777
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30 330e, C8 Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y13LD View Post
For which car lol
Why not both?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 01:26 AM   #10
Y13LD
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lviv777 View Post
Why not both?
Both black interiors. Cooled seats is the only reason I accepted going with black again.

(New shift/ebrake boots with ///M motorsport cloth not shown)

Full leather dash was a MUST. So much nicer than without. Piano black > wood trim anyday. Shows alot of scratches though
Appreciate 0