XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > X5 Members Classifieds : For Sale / Wanted / Group Buys

02-25-2019, 09:50 AM   #67
SimSimmah
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35d

Hey guys, no clue what happened to my notifications so let's do this all in one post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey john View Post
Do you plan to continue to use the Aux jack to connect the mic or will you be wiring it another way.
I know of no other way, and the factory folks claim that's the only way as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46_TommyP View Post
The mic doesn’t need to be plugged in the center armrest does it? From my understanding there is a aux hook up on the unichip box no?
The mic runs directly into a mic plug into the harness. Only the audio out goes into the aux jack in the center console.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWBuffalo View Post
Unit received and installed! Amazing how OEM the interface is. Big shout out to KP for arranging this group buy!!!
Thank you sir!

Quote:
Recieved my unit yesterday, will be installing today along with a remote starter! It’s christmas in February for this x5. Thanks again KP, you are a gentlemen and a scholar!
Thank you sir! Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrosheen View Post
Is there an interest in another group buy? I was led to this thread from a Z4 forum, but was a few weeks late to join. If there’s a chance for another one please let me know. Thanks!
I have no intention of organizing another group buy but if someone wants to start one, feel free to do so. PM me for contact info for the factory.

Last edited by SimSimmah; 02-26-2019 at 09:00 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2019, 06:22 PM   #68
E46_TommyP
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: *E46 M3 *E70 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningPe View Post
Do you have any pictures?
Thank-you.
I’ll get you some tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 07:10 PM   #69
LightningPe
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 M

Quote:
I’ll get you some tomorrow
Thank-you man. Appreciate it...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 08:59 AM   #70
SimSimmah
Private
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb And now, deep thoughts...

After living with CarPlay for about a week, here are some conclusions and thoughts:
  • I've had greater success if I engage CarPlay first, and then plug in my phone. The apps seem to load better and require less hard closing/relaunching.
  • You CAN mix and match audio sources while in CarPlay. For example, you can use the BMW's head unit to play AM/FM/XM audio while using CarPlay mapping software. You won't have any audio from the CarPlay source while using the BMW audio, but for me that works just fine.
  • For longer trips, this system is really nice. However, if you are very quick at getting in/out of the car for around town errands, the amount of time spent messing with getting an audio source and maps turned on might not be worth it for you when compared to the OEM system.
  • I wish WAZE in CarPlay showed current speed in the display. My X5's speedo is so wrong (dealer claims it's within accepted value) that I typically used the WAZE value instead. This is a comment on WAZE, not to do with the SmarBox in any way.
  • I do miss the split screen feature of the OEM software that showed maps on the left and entertainment (song/artist/etc) on the right. Hopefully Apple is working on something similar for a future update. In the mean time, popping over from maps to currently playing is pretty easy tho.

Shortcuts
  • While in CarPlay...
  • Short press Menu button (next to iDrive controller) takes you to the menu in CarPlay
  • Short press talk button on steering wheel - opens Apple Maps
  • Long press talk button on steering wheel - pulls up Siri
Attached Images

Last edited by SimSimmah; 02-26-2019 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 12:38 PM   #71
Spyro235
Captain
Rep
Drives: '10 X5D, '04 330i ZHP

Is it possible to use the native interface while this is hooked up? Or are you restricted to just Carplay. I have an hour long commute, and regularly do longer drives. Right now I use Tune2air. Would this be a significant improvement? Definitely a way to get google maps/ waze on the screen, instead of having a mount for my phone it seems.
      02-26-2019, 01:22 PM   #72
SimSimmah
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro235 View Post
Is it possible to use the native interface while this is hooked up? Or are you restricted to just Carplay. I have an hour long commute, and regularly do longer drives. Right now I use Tune2air. Would this be a significant improvement? Definitely a way to get google maps/ waze on the screen, instead of having a mount for my phone it seems.
This system (even while connected) is completely optional. It's been my experience that all features of the OEM system function just as if this box was not there. I'm unfamiliar with Tune2air, sorry. I do like the big screen for maps/WAZE.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 01:29 PM   #73
E46_TommyP
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here you go, ignore the red wire that is my power wire for my heated steering wheel retrofit. Went a little overboard on the hole I drilled because I wasn’t sure if I was going to use a usb extension that would have needed to fit through the hole. ended up going to bestbuy and buying a 2 meter apple wire and it works perfect, now I have slack to bring the phone up to the cup holders which is what I like to do.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/162795.../shares/nRc22d
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2019, 01:31 PM   #74
SimSimmah
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here you go, ignore the red wire that is my power wire for my heated steering wheel retrofit. Went a little overboard on the hole I drilled because I wasn’t sure if I was going to use a usb extension that would have needed to fit through the hole. ended up going to bestbuy and buying a 2 meter apple wire and it works perfect, now I have slack to bring the phone up to the cup holders which is what I like to do.

Dammit E46_TommyP! And now I have to redo my wiring!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 01:43 PM   #75
E46_TommyP
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimSimmah View Post
Dammit E46_TommyP! And now I have to redo my wiring!
Sorry Kp couldn’t stand having the wires running all over so I had to snake them into the console. The spot I found for the box is actually perfect, on my car there is what looks to be a zip tie holder for wires that is attached to the firewall so I threw a zip tie through it and called it a day, it’s perfect because the reset button is ver accessible if ever needed to be reset. As for the car play, I’m loving it so far. Jumping between oe interface and CarPlay is very easy with a couple second hold of the menu button. it’s not perfect as today I was trying to change climate settings I had to exit out of car play, change my blower settings, enter back into CarPlay and start my music back up but all in all I am very happy with it so far.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2019, 02:12 PM   #76
jersey john
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Quote:

I'm guessing by the looks you also have a sprint booster buried in their

I feel like every day is the Kobayashi Maru and my name's not James T. Kirk
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 02:26 PM   #77
E46_TommyP
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes I do! There’s wires all over this damn car, mod bug gets me with every vehicle
Appreciate 2
      02-26-2019, 03:41 PM   #78
jersey john
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimSimmah View Post
After living with CarPlay for about a week, here are some conclusions and thoughts:
  • I've had greater success if I engage CarPlay first, and then plug in my phone. The apps seem to load better and require less hard closing/relaunching.
  • You CAN mix and match audio sources while in CarPlay. For example, you can use the BMW's head unit to play AM/FM/XM audio while using CarPlay mapping software. You won't have any audio from the CarPlay source while using the BMW audio, but for me that works just fine.
  • For longer trips, this system is really nice. However, if you are very quick at getting in/out of the car for around town errands, the amount of time spent messing with getting an audio source and maps turned on might not be worth it for you when compared to the OEM system.
  • I wish WAZE in CarPlay showed current speed in the display. My X5's speedo is so wrong (dealer claims it's within accepted value) that I typically used the WAZE value instead. This is a comment on WAZE, not to do with the SmarBox in any way.
  • I do miss the split screen feature of the OEM software that showed maps on the left and entertainment (song/artist/etc) on the right. Hopefully Apple is working on something similar for a future update. In the mean time, popping over from maps to currently playing is pretty easy tho.
So, if I wanted to listen to the FM radio and have WAZE on the screen, I can do that?

I was worried that I would lose some if that functionality. Am I correct that if I get a phone call the factory bluetooth will pick up the call? I understand that CarPlay will have the functionality as well; but I'm curious how much functionality is/will be lost with the module.

BIG SHOUT OUT for all your time and effort.

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 03:45 PM   #79
jersey john
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes I do! There’s wires all over this damn car, mod bug gets me with every vehicle
I'm gonna have to look at your pics to see how to mount mine the same way.

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 05:59 PM   #80
LightningPe
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 M

Quote:

Thanks a ton man. Looks great.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 07:31 PM   #81
E46_TommyP
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm gonna have to look at your pics to see how to mount mine the same way.
I can take pics if you’d like, super simple once you get the gas pedal assembly off. Tucked the wire behind the console and stuck the button right next to the parking distance control button.

Quote:
Thanks a ton man. Looks great.
Your welcome, just returning the favor! Was ready to throw in the towel on unichip til you said plug the aux in.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 07:36 PM   #82
Spyro235
Captain
Rep
Drives: '10 X5D, '04 330i ZHP

Just wondering if anyone’s considering purchasing this again- I know OP isn’t going to run the group buy, but I’d Consider contacting the factory with some previous knowledge from the previous group buy runner, if no one else would.

Do any of you know what other vehicles this unit would be compatible with? I’m so interested and I’m kicking myself for not seeing this before the buy happened!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 08:45 PM   #83
SimSimmah
Private
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
So, if I wanted to listen to the FM radio and have WAZE on the screen, I can do that?

I was worried that I would lose some if that functionality. Am I correct that if I get a phone call the factory bluetooth will pick up the call? I understand that CarPlay will have the functionality as well; but I'm curious how much functionality is/will be lost with the module.

BIG SHOUT OUT for all your time and effort.
Yes sir! I did that (Waze + FM) just the other day. The catch is you either have to set your radio station before you get into CarPlay or have your radio presets programmed to your number buttons (1-6 which still work in CarPlay!), to change stations since going to the Radio menu via iDrive will take you out of CarPlay. Waze starts and works great, but Pandora or Sirius XM don't work as well in CarPlay as I'd like unless you have one or both apps opened ahead of time imho. That's an apple issue, nothing to do with this thread. It's been my experience that I've lost none of the functionality of the OEM unit. My iPhone is still Bluetoothed in, so calls are using the BMW's system, but you can control it in CarPlay. I think someone else in the group dropped the bluetooth and only runs it through the car play unit? Or did I read that on another thread?

Thanks man! I'm just glad we're all enjoying our new tech!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 08:54 PM   #84
SimSimmah
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just wondering if anyone’s considering purchasing this again- I know OP isn’t going to run the group buy, but I’d Consider contacting the factory with some previous knowledge from the previous group buy runner, if no one else would.

Do any of you know what other vehicles this unit would be compatible with? I’m so interested and I’m kicking myself for not seeing this before the buy happened!
I'm sorry we missed you on this group buy. We could have easily had another prior to the cut off date. Check out their Website for compatibility options beyond the E70 X5. I think their SmartBox is compatible many bimmers (3, 5, X3, X5) running CCC, CIC, or NBT.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 05:45 PM   #85
jersey john
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

New (possibly dumb) question: Do you Remove the AC vents from the top underneath the screen or from below by the climate control?

I feel stupid asking this question but I don't feel the need to unnecessarily break anything if I can avoid it.

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 07:12 PM   #86
E46_TommyP
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
New (possibly dumb) question: Do you Remove the AC vents from the top underneath the screen or from below by the climate control?

I feel stupid asking this question but I don't feel the need to unnecessarily break anything if I can avoid it.
Vents right under the screen come out very easy, take trim tool from top and bottom and pry out at the 4 corners
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 07:55 PM   #87
chazmink
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Quote:

If you put together a group buy I'm in for my 2013 328i MSport F30 with nav, cameras, etc. I'm also in NJ and could help you ship the units out. It looks like ten is the magic number for best pricing.

2013 328i MSport Estoril Blue, 6spd MT, Premium, Tech & Drivers Assist +, Bavsound Stage One/Ghost, Bimmertech Amp
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 08:21 PM   #88
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazmink View Post
If you put together a group buy I'm in for my 2013 328i MSport F30 with nav, cameras, etc. I'm also in NJ and could help you ship the units out. It looks like ten is the magic number for best pricing.
Check your PM...
Appreciate 0