XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-21-2019, 12:00 PM   #1
heymattw
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5

Blown Motor

I have a 2011 BMW X5 50i. I want to start off by saying that I love the driving experience of this car. Being a car enthusiast (American muscle) and always owning only Chevrolets I surprised a lot of people when I got the BMW. That being said, I feel "home" when driving the car. The way I put it is: It's like being in your own world every time you drive it."

I purchased the car on January 17th of this year (75k), the turbo blew the same day. Luckily I have a 3 month/3000 mile warranty from the dealership. (Small Luxury Dealership). It took them 21 days, but they put a new turbo in and I was back on the road!

I started to notice the same smell I was smelling when the turbo blew, a lot of oil burning. I brought it back to the dealership to tell them. The tech went with me on a drive and said to continue driving it, that the smell was just from oil burning off the manifold from when the turbo blew. He suggested having the cabin air filter changed.

Two nights ago I was driving down the highway when all of a sudden the motor started to to stutter, followed by a loud boom, followed by a decent amount of smoke out of the exhaust. Pulled over, there was a very nice puddle of oil.

I decided to purchase an AutoPom 3 year/36k warranty on the car, but it does not kick in until 1 month/1000 miles and I haven't hit that yet. Luckily I have the 3 month warranty from the dealership, however they seem a little shady and I am a little worried they won't fix it. The service manager is an absolute nightmare to deal with, however my sales guy is helpful but young and isn't really good at pushing things.

I am getting ready for a bunch of different scenarios:

1. If they refuse to fix it.
2. Do I keep it if they fix it?
3. Given the problems, can the dealership request to buy the car back because of the cost of the repair? How does that work?

I am really hoping I didn't make a 20k mistake and am left with a non running car.

Any other thoughts, I really want to stay in an X5. The Lexus and Acura just seem so boring to me in comparison.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 01:19 PM   #2
ncbimma
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5M

Garage List
try dealership #2?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 03:35 PM   #3
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

You absolutely need to press them on their warranty. Why did they offer it if they weren't going to want to fix it?
Is the warranty only good at that dealer?

You better read some threads on here about replacement motors, if that's the route this ends up going. It can be a long wait...
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 01:45 AM   #4
augenschmutz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 X5

good luck, however it turns out. Nightmare scenario. I'd be less concerned about whether or not they will moreso than I would be about them actually fixing it correctly.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 07:36 AM   #5
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

A salesman is just that.....virtually a non-entity unless trying to flog you something.

You still have the warranty...take them to the cleaners....

Only once in my life did I have to turn into the nastiest of bastards over a vehicle...not with BMW...had the dealership eating out of my hand. Never swear, keep the high ground....and when you have to verbally destroy them. Always pick a time when there are other customers present to put on the verbal boxing gloves...ready with well thought-out points.

Good luck..

Last edited by Bilbofraggins; 02-26-2019 at 07:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 10:27 AM   #6
heymattw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbofraggins View Post
A salesman is just that.....virtually a non-entity unless trying to flog you something.

You still have the warranty...take them to the cleaners....

Only once in my life did I have to turn into the nastiest of bastards over a vehicle...not with BMW...had the dealership eating out of my hand. Never swear, keep the high ground....and when you have to verbally destroy them. Always pick a time when there are other customers present to put on the verbal boxing gloves...ready with well thought-out points.

Good luck..
Thanks, unfortunately this is exactly what I needed to do and worked great. The owner of the dealership got involved finally. New block going in as soon as they receive it. They also put me in a newer 3 series as a loaner.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 02:56 PM   #7
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymattw View Post
Thanks, unfortunately this is exactly what I needed to do and worked great. The owner of the dealership got involved finally. New block going in as soon as they receive it. They also put me in a newer 3 series as a loaner.
Result...well done you...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 03:28 PM   #8
heymattw
Rep

A quick update more than a couple months later... I am still driving this 3 series loaner while I have no motor from BMW for my car.

According to BMW they are not releasing motors for non BMW warranty work.

Last edited by heymattw; 04-23-2019 at 03:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 07:16 PM   #9
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymattw View Post
A quick update more than a couple months later... I am still driving this 3 series loaner while I have no motor from BMW for my car.

According to BMW they are not releasing motors for non BMW warranty work.
Ugh, loaner 3 series for a 50i.....you must be having serious withdrawals!!!

Replacement n63 short blocks are available everywhere for 3,000 (I just called my dealer to confirm). Dealer cost is probably 2500, plus 1500 dealer cost labor... tell your dealer to put on it's big boy pants and replace the damn engine under the warranty they promised you..... Hell I am going to pick up an extra one myself while they are so cheap as If mine survies with how hard I will be pushing it will truly be a miracle...
Appreciate 0