XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

07-30-2018, 09:16 PM   #1
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
E71 X6M Reliability

Hi, I am currently in search for E71, mainly MY12 -14 with 45k-75k on the odometer. Is there any typical issues I should look out for or any other costly repair/maint coming up soon? Also, couple of the ones Im looking for are CA buy back vehicles and I am wondering if that would be a good idea to get into. I heard CA buy back laws are too liberal and not much to worry about as long as problems weren't too extensive. Any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 08:30 AM   #2
do_0b
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 M

Garage List
2010 BMW X6M  [0.00]
In my opinion below are priority items:

1) Recall on secondary coolant pump + front driveshaft
2) Latest version (Index12) injectors and hopefully changed not too long ago as Index12 is not maintenance-free either
3) Hopefully new plugs and coil packs
4) Maintenance, i.e. is the owner doing regular enough oil changes, and whether the adjacent oils were regularly changed (tranny, x-case, front and rear diff, rear torque vectoring oils)

Otherwise pretty reliable truck...mine is 2010 and im loving it
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 09:57 AM   #3
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by do_0b View Post

2) Latest version (Index12) injectors and hopefully changed not too long ago as Index12 is not maintenance-free either
4) Maintenance, i.e. is the owner doing regular enough oil changes, and whether the adjacent oils were regularly changed (tranny, x-case, front and rear diff, rear torque vectoring oils)

Quite a few things to consider! I've never owned a M car before and mileage is worrying me. I'll keep your points in mind.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 08:14 AM   #4
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

I have a babied daily driver 2013 X6M bought 1.5 years old...currently has 93000 km. Still under certified warranty until Nov. I’m getting ready to do plugs and coils, tranny fluid, drain, filter and fill (not touching the megatronic this time). Will also do the transfer case and diffs. I’m still on original rotors but replaced the pads myself at 85K....Just did my first non dealer oil change then went on a 4500km road trip... vehicle ran great, no oil used... it has never burned oil in between scheduled changes....It’s a keeper... easy to work on with regards to basic maintenance....Plugs FYI are recommended every 30000 Miles...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 09:24 AM   #5
El Wray
Private
Rep
Drives: AW X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by do_0b View Post

I have a '14 with 32K that is fairly babied.

The dealer took care of the two recalls on #1. They also proactively replaced injectors (#2) and plugs/coil packs (#3) during routine maintenance while in for a service and was covered under extended care for $0 out of pocket.

As far as maintenance, I think I've paid for one oil change. I did have a high pressure fuel pump go out around 30K. They covered it under the standard warranty. Deductible was $50. That's about it so far.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 05:51 PM   #6
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

El Wray...What did they charge for the oil change....I might add a fuel filter to my list..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 09:08 AM   #7
El Wray
Private
Rep
Drives: AW X6M

I'd have to go into the car's documentation file bin to pull the receipt. Don't remember offhand. It honestly was not enough to care about, maybe $80-100.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 05:10 PM   #8
Too__Hu///Mble
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6 ///M

Don't be worried. Be prepared. Follow up with All recalls.

Keep your fuel lines clean. Add fuel cleaner once a month. Bmw brand.

Keep your plugs and packs clean.
Your filters clean.

Be prepared to changed you rear suspension.
It's air. 2000 aside. It'll add years to the life.

With a 5k Card for repairs you'll be fine.

The tech is very sound and robust.

Make sure your Modules in the rear of car is weather proofed.

Shes mostly engine.

Don't be cheap with your tires. Stick to the OEM or the ones for the F86.

your suspension is everything. Keep your wheel alignment healthy. Protect your suspension.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 06:12 PM   #9
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Too_Hu///Mble, you taking care of my baby? I miss her. I hope she’s been good to you.
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2018, 08:28 AM   #10
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
There are a lot of common problems on this car no one has mentioned

The rear main seals fail with regularity
Vacuum pump,failure
Alternators
All the Ccv hoses
Engine partition
Oil leaks
Turbo coolant lines
Turbo oil lines
Rear air suspension bags
Filtered air ducts

I purchased my closely related 2011 X5m with 40k miles and have had nearly 16k in repairs under my extended warranty. Im basically replacing every oil seal 1 at a time

I’ve replaced engine partition
Turbo coolant lines
All Ccv lines
Alternator
Turbo lines and turbo oil return block seals
Rear main seal
Valve cover seals
Oil pan seal is leaking
Filtered air ducts
Turbo mainifold pressure sensor
Probably some things I’m forgetting

The rear main seal is pricey. Bmw has a redesigned part that supposedly won’t fail as frequently
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 11:54 PM   #11
Too__Hu///Mble
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6 ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Too_Hu///Mble, you taking care of my baby? I miss her. I hope she’s been good to you.
More than good. She's fine!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 12:32 PM   #12
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

things can go wrong quite easily with an M car.. and actually despite being an M or non-M car.. if you feel that car was a victim of abusal that changes a lot of things..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 03:26 PM   #13
eurovibe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 SC, 13 X6M, 15 F80 M3

I purchased mine from a local dealer then took it to the BMW Stealership for a full inspection. Came back with 10'gs worth of fixing. Mine is a 13 with 42k on the clock.
needed front thrust bushings
and had boost leaks so changed all lines and hoses.
also needed tires.

All that being said the labor alone was 6900.
Luckily I have a friend that's a master mechanic at BMW he did everything with parts for a fraction of the cost.

Last edited by eurovibe; 01-03-2019 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 04:14 AM   #14
airbornesigs
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2013 E71 BMW X6M

I have a 2013 E71 X6M I have had the car for 2 year and 1 month and I have been amazed at how little attention the car has required. I have made both oil changes myself with zero mechanical experience. The last Oil Air filter service I bought original parts online on promotion and had a local "non dealer" garage fit it all for me.

I had one blip with the car last year I placed a bottle of windscreen wash in the trunk and it fell over and leaked 5l of fluid, some fluid found its way into a computer which is located under the trunk matt and the 4x4 system shut down while we were away in the mountains.. not ideal. I took it to a main dealer they plugged it in located the issue and fixed for $800 all in which also included a replacement of a recall part in the X Drive system, unsure what it was off hand but if I had to pay for it it would have been around $2500. :-/ so glad I got it replaced for free.

Do not put alternate brands of tires on this car ever, I wasn't familiar with the X Drive system and apparently neither was the tire garage I took my car to, they put asymmetrical tread on the back and symmetrical tread on the front.. this caused major issues with X Drive and had to be changed immediately.

I drive this car everyday to and from school and long journeys, I'm not from the US and so running costs in terms of fuel is an absolute killer I'll be honest, going from my E90 318 M Sport Diesel which used to give us around 700 miles on a tank to this which we are lucky to see 240 to 300 miles was an absolute shock to the system and we had to create an additional monthly budget to run the car. I am not sure my wife would agree in fact I know she doesn't but the pleasure this car gives me compared with the fuel cost is immeasurable.

The performance of this SUV is mind blowing even by 2018 standards, I still chuckle to myself when I see the shocked look on the Sports Coupe owners face next to me after the street lights have turned green... lol and he is like WTF?! but its an SUV! I recently reveled in delight when I pulled alongside my neighbor who has just invested a lot of money in a 2018 Audi RS4 and I matched him out the gate without actually trying.. even with all of his popping and farting noises coming out of his exhaust which for some reason the RS models all do now..

I had a problem when full beam is on and I turn right Im getting an error about the directional something not working on the right headlamp which I will get checked out. Recently in minus temperatures my pads appear to be frezzing to the discs.. well the wheels wont move when I try to drive I have to coax the car forward and reverse and then they pop and become unstuck.. so that's weird. But next week I am having all new discs and pads fitted which it is overdue for and then I'll know if that was the issue.

This time I am not fitting the original rotor discs and pads I am going with Zimmermann Sport Coat Z drilled discs and EBC Yellow Stuff Pads. I am informed that I will see a great improvement on the original stopping performance which I was a little unimpressed with.

This car has cost me next to nothing in the 2 years I have had it and still even though its 6 years old now turns heads wherever I go and gathers approving nods from fellow petrol heads. I dont know if I have been lucky with mine but I would say go for it you wont regret it.

One last thing I wanted to pick up on reading the comments above, I was speaking with a tech in M Cars in Germany and he said that although dealers will tell you "oh its an M car that why it costs more" or "oh it broke because its a delicate and sensitive m car" he said that this is completely not true now with the V8 generation of M Cars.. he said the techs at dealers are so used to the high revving traditional 6 (10) cylinder m cars which can be those things above that they tarnish all m cars with the same brush when in fact the V8 in the X6M is a low revving and very robustly tuned engine which does not suffer any of the same issues as the "traditional m cars" these techs are used to working with. (points at v10) it is a shame because its almost like you have to educate them to the robustness and dare I say non m'ness of the V8 engine.. its just not what it used to be at all.

Last edited by airbornesigs; 01-04-2019 at 04:22 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2019, 05:51 AM   #15
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

Airbornesigs....good blurb...I echo what you say on the performance and reliability front...I don’t agree ref tires and have discussed this aspect with a neighbour who owns multiple tire shops...My winter tires are non oem/non runflat on x5 rims with hub centric rings and spacers...5 x winters and still wearing well, no adverse effects.

I have a 2013 also and will be hanging onto my beast... I do my own maintenance now in the main and love doing it....

Not sure if you ever saw the response to your earlier post...

Yours aye....Airbornesapper

Last edited by Bilbofraggins; 01-04-2019 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 06:45 AM   #16
airbornesigs
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2013 E71 BMW X6M

Hey Bilbo, I actually had not seen that until you just mentioned I possibly had forgotten to switch on email notifications which I did with this last one.

Thanks for the reply, what is it about us squaddies and living outside of the UK.. lol In my 43 years of existence I have spent exactly 19 years living in the UK. :-)

Thanks for your advice regarding the discs as you probably read I made a call on the Zimmermann products and the EBC Yellow Stuff Pads which are arriving next week. I will try to make a video of the install for the forum or at least some photos.

Links and prices to my chosen parts below, we get great prices in Poland, actually this could be well recommended to US buyers as right now we ship from our store to the US without duty for orders under $800..

https://auto.brakeparts.pl/auto/3089...0-2947-52.html - $202 each
https://auto.brakeparts.pl/auto/2655...0-2945-52.html - $120 each
https://auto.brakeparts.pl/auto/1866...f-dp42091.html - $230

I see you were Airborne Sapper was that with 9 Para? we had a few come through our course from 9 Para, in my team I worked with a 9 Para fella called Ginge.. massive bloke he was, a lass from Med Corp... Intel, Infantry and myself.. on sat com.. they were memorable times..

I just had a peak at your beast, shes a beaut! I love that Estoril Blue colour I had an E36 M3 EVO in that colour.. I wish I still had that car now! Good choice going for the 13' I also went for the LCI with the updated LED headlamps.. I think it makes all the difference from the dirty white on the older models. Still lovely cars, but the front end with those bright white beasties looks awesome.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 07:46 PM   #17
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

Private message in-bound...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 11:58 AM   #18
XSlick
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X6

Garage List
2018 BMW I3  [0.00]
2013 BMW X6  [0.00]
This is awesome info. I had an M3 for several years and she left me for my wifes new I3 (must say I live that little thing). I decided to go with a used X6 2013. Love BMW Reliability and couldn't agree more on ensuring the maintenance is done properly.

I will have to check and see if the recall stuff has been done. Any other advice you have for a new X6 owner (she is a 2013 x35) is greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 08:49 PM   #19
aznr3dneck
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6 xdrive35 and 2007 650I

im starting to have problem with 2011 x6. the turbo oil return line and now my radiator cooling fan is coming on high even the vehicle is going fast down the road, and in the winter time which it shouldn't be since its cold outside.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 12:46 PM   #20
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznr3dneck View Post
im starting to have problem with 2011 x6. the turbo oil return line and now my radiator cooling fan is coming on high even the vehicle is going fast down the road, and in the winter time which it shouldn't be since its cold outside.
Any codes?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 08:28 PM   #21
Petr4271
Rep
Drives: BMW f10 2012

Hi, i made this video about how reliable e70 and e71 is also including estimate prices to fix those problems. I hope i can post it here as it could help many. feedback would be appreciated

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 04:39 AM   #22
bance
Registered
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: bmw x6m e71

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornesigs View Post
I have a 2013 E71 X6M I have had the car for 2 year and 1 month and I have been amazed at how little attention the car has required. I have made both oil changes myself with zero mechanical experience. The last Oil Air filter service I bought original parts online on promotion and had a local "non dealer" garage fit it all for me.

I had one blip with the car last year I placed a bottle of windscreen wash in the trunk and it fell over and leaked 5l of fluid, some fluid found its way into a computer which is located under the trunk matt and the 4x4 system shut down while we were away in the mountains.. not ideal. I took it to a main dealer they plugged it in located the issue and fixed for $800 all in which also included a replacement of a recall part in the X Drive system, unsure what it was off hand but if I had to pay for it it would have been around $2500. :-/ so glad I got it replaced for free.

Do not put alternate brands of tires on this car ever, I wasn't familiar with the X Drive system and apparently neither was the tire garage I took my car to, they put asymmetrical tread on the back and symmetrical tread on the front.. this caused major issues with X Drive and had to be changed immediately.

I drive this car everyday to and from school and long journeys, I'm not from the US and so running costs in terms of fuel is an absolute killer I'll be honest, going from my E90 318 M Sport Diesel which used to give us around 700 miles on a tank to this which we are lucky to see 240 to 300 miles was an absolute shock to the system and we had to create an additional monthly budget to run the car. I am not sure my wife would agree in fact I know she doesn't but the pleasure this car gives me compared with the fuel cost is immeasurable.

The performance of this SUV is mind blowing even by 2018 standards, I still chuckle to myself when I see the shocked look on the Sports Coupe owners face next to me after the street lights have turned green... lol and he is like WTF?! but its an SUV! I recently reveled in delight when I pulled alongside my neighbor who has just invested a lot of money in a 2018 Audi RS4 and I matched him out the gate without actually trying.. even with all of his popping and farting noises coming out of his exhaust which for some reason the RS models all do now..

I had a problem when full beam is on and I turn right Im getting an error about the directional something not working on the right headlamp which I will get checked out. Recently in minus temperatures my pads appear to be frezzing to the discs.. well the wheels wont move when I try to drive I have to coax the car forward and reverse and then they pop and become unstuck.. so that's weird. But next week I am having all new discs and pads fitted which it is overdue for and then I'll know if that was the issue.

This time I am not fitting the original rotor discs and pads I am going with Zimmermann Sport Coat Z drilled discs and EBC Yellow Stuff Pads. I am informed that I will see a great improvement on the original stopping performance which I was a little unimpressed with.

This car has cost me next to nothing in the 2 years I have had it and still even though its 6 years old now turns heads wherever I go and gathers approving nods from fellow petrol heads. I dont know if I have been lucky with mine but I would say go for it you wont regret it.

One last thing I wanted to pick up on reading the comments above, I was speaking with a tech in M Cars in Germany and he said that although dealers will tell you "oh its an M car that why it costs more" or "oh it broke because its a delicate and sensitive m car" he said that this is completely not true now with the V8 generation of M Cars.. he said the techs at dealers are so used to the high revving traditional 6 (10) cylinder m cars which can be those things above that they tarnish all m cars with the same brush when in fact the V8 in the X6M is a low revving and very robustly tuned engine which does not suffer any of the same issues as the "traditional m cars" these techs are used to working with. (points at v10) it is a shame because its almost like you have to educate them to the robustness and dare I say non m'ness of the V8 engine.. its just not what it used to be at all.
Hello

Based on your experience, i was comparing the engine Performance of the BMW X6 M E71 vs BMW X6 50i F15, in numbers it seems that the E71 is much powerful but considering the technology of the F15 it seems close , so which is faster

1-drag race 0-60
2-Top Speed
3-Reliability

If considering buying the E71 X6M with 10,000miles and willing to keep for 100,000miles what are the watch outs

Moreover, as i was shopping around i witnessed some include the bubble Hood and others don't, is this an optional feature ?

One more thing , are there any 2014s or the production ended 2013
Thanks
Appreciate 0