XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

07-26-2020, 11:29 AM   #133
Konradical6
Private
Rep
Drives: E70

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbu001 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konradical6 View Post
Anyone factory reset their unit? My is from 4x4 shop and I'm waiting for their tech to respond but figured I'd ask here.

I still had issues with some freezing on the BT screen And couldn't figure it out so I did the factory reset on the android. The BT connects now but some of the apps disappeared and some are in Chinese.

I used the apk installer app to install zlink back as it was missing but it says now it's not registered/activated and some of the writing is in Chinese, anyone experience this?
I did the factory reset on the instruction of the Seller. Thankfully that did not kill the Zlink app. In fact it did not anything I think. Everything looked the same. The problems were still there. Also to activate the Zlink, I figured out accidentally that you connect the android to your phone hotspot so that it has a internet connection and press the about or activate or some button and it said activated. This did not help with my initial problems but my error message never said NOt Activated.
Thanks for your reply. Yea that worked connecting it to WiFi. Everything else works pretty well for me even the sound. The navigation sound from google maps seemed off but was fixed when in the google app I lowered the voice volume.

Btw anyone know how to get this new UI skin on? I have the android 10 unit from 4x4shop and there's no option after id7. I think it's called custom UI GS? Seems like the AVIN people get it with their units?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 10:01 PM   #134
Konradical6
Private
Rep

Quote:
Carplay - dunno what happened. But wireless CarPlay works perfectly now after 2 weeks. Fingers crossed. No more just working in the morning and once a day only.

In the first 2 weeks I did order the usb dongle out of frustration. But it needed another app and not android auto so it did not work straight out of the box. I just returned it feeling even more pissed.

Since you got the dongle I'm wondering if there's less lag and delays vs connecting it wirelessly for carplay, thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 09:00 AM   #135
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

I have been away for two weeks...now in quarantine for the next two...The good news is my head-unit 720P with Carplay...finally showed-up...(the unit was refunded by AliE - same as half a dozen other other purchases...some of which actually showed up also).

Amazing to see the install journeys reflected here.....I will be reviewing of course...and rounding up parts that may be needed to install to best effect.....my first ever such install.

Thanks again for all the input on this thread...
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 09:38 AM   #136
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by argento View Post
1. I would use your car's microphone. IF it doesn't work, then you can use supplied. I didn't get a microphone in my package...but I haven't confirmed a phone call yet...car's been in the garage since Mar, with drives in the neighborhood every week or so to get to temp.
2. I think it depends on whether you got the optional wireless carplay. If you didn't, then you need the carplay dongle connected to USB. With wireless, and iOS, there is an app in the monitor called ZLink...and I set it to open each time phone is connected via BT.
3. I received that antenna and I thought it was for the TV option I ordered (and didn't install). It's not required for nominal usage...at least I didn't need it.
Great info Argento/Jvirgi....

So right now, as I start this - all I need is a better 4ft Aux cable....and a GPS Splitter...(any links to the latter)....My intent is two pass this off to a pro with a few install notes...gathered from you guys...Mine is wireless carplay model...

Are these a suitable GPS splitter option?

https://www.amazon.ca/Koason-Antenna...6474880&sr=8-1

or

https://www.amazon.ca/Dasunny-Coaxia...TF8&pd_rd_i=B0

Last edited by Bilbofraggins; 08-03-2020 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 09:43 AM   #137
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Oh well. My order did not ship and the processing time expired.
Bilboftaggins - where are you thinking of ordering from? Tempted to just order from 4x4 Shop. Any other suggestions from others?
Mine did show...If I was to reorder...and after this probably will for an F25 X3....will probably go with 4x4 shop....

A similar 720P unit with wireless carplay is $1007 (+tax for us) Canadian today...including a GPS splitter

My Ali version was 600 Can (refunded) and 43 bucks customs fees...
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 08:43 AM   #138
Konradical6
Private
Rep

So the unit has been working flawlessly until today I started the car and noticed the boot logo didn't come up for android just said no signal on android side, oem side was working fine. Couldn't do anything on android side even after shutting off the car and back on. It only seemed to comeback to normal after I shut off the car for over a minute and restarted it, anyone have this happen?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 10:39 AM   #139
mister_swede
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 E71

Garage List
2012 BMW X6  [0.00]
I am also finished with the android 10 64gb version in mine

I just finished my on a X6 E71 CiC and also made extenstion to glovecompartment for 2 USB, 4G LTE connector and separate GPS module so its for easy access.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 09:52 AM   #140
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konradical6 View Post
So the unit has been working flawlessly until today I started the car and noticed the boot logo didn't come up for android just said no signal on android side, oem side was working fine. Couldn't do anything on android side even after shutting off the car and back on. It only seemed to comeback to normal after I shut off the car for over a minute and restarted it, anyone have this happen?
Well, it's been about 3 weeks since I took my car out and yesterday I started the car and drove off...carplay immediately came up on the screen. But then I touched the screen and nothing, it was locked. I couldn't even get to the OEM side until I pressed the radio button on the iDrive. The touch screen remained not working. I parked and forgot about it, will check again today, assuming it was a glitch....
      08-30-2020, 06:50 AM   #141
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

Might start today.... Have a better quality aux cable and the GPS splitter...
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 07:00 PM   #142
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

Installed the unit today...with a GPS splitter.

Didn’t install the round speaker attached to the thin white wires... or the flat paddle antenna.

Or the extra RCA bundle that goes in the head unit.

Did not install the Aux cable... as the main harness bundle seemed to be already connected with a 3.5mm plug.
Couldn't find any wire connectors to go to the center dash speaker!

I drive working - sort of...
Rear camera/backup lines - no problems
Factory NAV and sound working fine.

Issues I could use a bit of help with:

Firstly what display setting are you using for E71?... the CIC E70 2009 does not work on my 2013... so I selected any NBT 10.25 one... which worked and also CIC for 7 series 2011 worked..

No sound on the android sIde... Looks like I must run the 3.5mm. Does that go into the supplied main harness or into the small head unit bundle (marked mic---I expect not)?

What’s the red button on the bottom of the head unit - thinking now it may be just a connector cover for the thin paddle antenna?

How do you work carplay... is that the ZLink? Update refreshed my memory on that...I guess I have to try to connect to the phone hotspot and try to activate.
Do you need an aux cable if you only use CarPlay once it’s working...

The car info, speed and rpm doesn’t register any reading sits on Zero.

Finally, my unit is slow to shut down... and does not completely go off.... It sits on a “No Signal“ message.

Like the 4x4 shop installer videos, I did'nt disconnect the battery...

Help appreciated... Cheers.. Fraggins

Last edited by Bilbofraggins; 08-30-2020 at 09:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 09:13 PM   #143
subbu001
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbofraggins View Post
Installed the unit today...with a GPS splitter.

Didn't install the round speaker attached to the thin white wires... or the flat paddle antenna.

Or the extra RCA bundle that goes in the head unit.

Did not install the Aux cable... as the main harness bundle seemed to be already connected with a 3.5mm plug.
Couldn't find any wire connectors to go to the center dash speaker!

I drive working - sort of...
Rear camera/backup lines - no problems
Factory NAV and sound working fine.

Issues I could use a bit of help with:

Firstly what display setting are you using for E71?... the CIC E70 2009 does not work on my 2013... so I selected any NBT 10.25 one... which worked and also CIC for 7 series 2011 worked..

No sound on the android sIde... Looks like I must run the 3.5mm. Does that go into the supplied main harness or into the small head unit bundle (marked mic---I expect not)?

What's the red button on the bottom of the head unit - thinking now it may be just a connector cover for the thin paddle antenna?

How do you work carplay... is that the ZLink? Update refreshed my memory on that...I guess I have to try to connect to the phone hotspot and try to activate.
You need an aux cable if you only use CarPlay once it's working...

The car info, speed and rpm doesn't register any reading sits on Zero.

Finally, my unit is slow to shut down... and does not completely go off.... It sits on "No Signal"

Like the 4x4 shop installer videos, I did'nt disconnect the battery...

Help appreciated... Cheers.. Fraggins
1. I also did not install the speaker or the flat antenna or the RCA cable.

2. I think the conclusion is you need to run the Aux cable to the center console to get sound to come from the Android Unit + carplay as well. I think the Aux cable plugs into the main harness. I recall there was only one male Aux connector in the bundle.

3. Display I kept going 1 by 1 till smth worked. I do recall the option with 10.25 is the one that worked. Not sure which 10.25 it is.

4. Carplay is the Zlink app. I had lots of trouble to get it working. In one of the earlier posts I talk about connecting your android unit to your phone hotspot to get internet and going into the Zlink app to press activate. For carplay you need the aux cable to get sounds.

5. No signal - I don't recall. Maybe the GPS issue or maybe just the activation of the Zlink? Just guessing. No idea.
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2020, 09:30 PM   #144
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
1. I also did not install the speaker or the flat antenna or the RCA cable.

2. I think the conclusion is you need to run the Aux cable to the center console to get sound to come from the Android Unit + carplay as well. I think the Aux cable plugs into the main harness. I recall there was only one male Aux connector in the bundle.

3. Display I kept going 1 by 1 till smth worked. I do recall the option with 10.25 is the one that worked. Not sure which 10.25 it is.

4. Carplay is the Zlink app. I had lots of trouble to get it working. In one of the earlier posts I talk about connecting your android unit to your phone hotspot to get internet and going into the Zlink app to press activate. For carplay you need the aux cable to get sounds.

5. No signal - I don't recall. Maybe the GPS issue or maybe just the activation of the Zlink? Just guessing. No idea.
subbu001...

Thanks for the pointers...I'll go back in and run the aux (3.5) cable from the harness tomorrow...to the center console....Once I've run it will try the hotspot bit...

The "no signal" message after shutdown is weird....

Did you connect anything to the center dash speaker?

Do the Speed and RPM dials work? for you

Cheers, BF
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 02:10 AM   #145
CPN83
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M

I have the same issue with the OEM screen display, The E70 CIC setting does not work correctly and I am currently using the CIC_7Series setting. The issue I have is the OEM system is quite dull and there is no way to increase the brightness.

If I use the correct CIC_E70 setting the brightness is correct but the resolution is not.
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2020, 06:06 AM   #146
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPN83 View Post
I have the same issue with the OEM screen display, The E70 CIC setting does not work correctly and I am currently using the CIC_7Series setting. The issue I have is the OEM system is quite dull and there is no way to increase the brightness.

If I use the correct CIC_E70 setting the brightness is correct but the resolution is not.
I’ll check the brightness later today... Hope to get go back in and run the Aux cable..and recheck things...

Which canbus setting do you use?

I see on some videos, the I drive knob moves around normally on the Android side, mine does not touch only?

Update.... Backed the vehicle out of the driveway... I drive was dull... couldn’t change brightness either...

Also had a high battery drain warning which was expected....

Not sure what’s going on... Perhaps a scan with the Foxwell is in order once I run the Aux cable

Last edited by Bilbofraggins; 08-31-2020 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 09:47 AM   #147
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

Hooked-up an Aux Cable... That quickly permitted ZLink pairing.... said something about Bluetooth couldn’t be used when when CarPlay used... Anyway Zlink carplay working on the screen... still no sound from the unit... And still getting an onscreen “ No Signal” message staying on after shutdown...

Connections checked.... I think I have hit a wall...
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 10:59 AM   #148
Aferanova
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X6 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPN83 View Post

I've had the same issue. I've increased the screen brightness while backing up but it seems to revert back to the low settings at some point. It must have to do with having to use the CIC 7 series settings.
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2020, 11:02 AM   #149
Aferanova
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X6 xDrive50i

Quote:
Hooked-up an Aux Cable... That quickly permitted ZLink pairing.... said something about Bluetooth couldn’t be used when when CarPlay used... Anyway Zlink carplay working on the screen... still no sound from the unit... And still getting an onscreen “ No Signal” message staying on after shutdown...

so you have the aux cable running from the new harness and going to the aux in center console. Did you also make sure to put bmw audio for the aux? Is volume up high enough? also, the green wire you had to put into the new harness is in place?

i wonder if you can test if the unit is sending audio by plugging the aux cord into a speaker rather than the car's port?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 11:13 AM   #150
subbu001
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvirgi View Post
Quote:
Hooked-up an Aux Cable... That quickly permitted ZLink pairing.... said something about Bluetooth couldn't be used when when CarPlay used... Anyway Zlink carplay working on the screen... still no sound from the unit... And still getting an onscreen " No Signal" message staying on after shutdown...

so you have the aux cable running from the new harness and going to the aux in center console. Did you also make sure to put bmw audio for the aux? Is volume up high enough? also, the green wire you had to put into the new harness is in place?

i wonder if you can test if the unit is sending audio by plugging the aux cord into a speaker rather than the car's port?
I saw this audio issue on a random YouTube video. Assuming g u plugged in the aux cable into the aux port.....
1. Go to idrive mode by pressing the menu button or smth
2. Go to audio source and chose AUX
3. Click on the aux mode and set your volume by clicking on it.
4. When it turns red and shows the volume scale Press on the touchscreen to jump to android. Note - donot exit out of the red vol scale using the click wheel etc like u normally would
6. Test playing smth on android or CarPlay

If anyone else has a better solution pls tell me as well. Tats how I get my volume to work on the Android each time the sound input changes to radio or Bluetooth etc
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 03:00 PM   #151
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

Thanks for that... had the phone paired for a short while with wireless CarPlay but it dropped after a few mins....but when set to aux I do have sound now after trying your suggestion...

For the life of me... can’t get back into CarPlay...

I drive knob does not work on android side.

Unit does not shut off... or accept changes such as ID 6 to 7 without pulling power on head unit...
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 03:03 PM   #152
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

How do you properly pair IPhone to head unit...

Stop it linking up via Bluetooth... meaning disconnect BMW1234 -and try ZLink...or leave BMW1234 etc connected... either way... ZLink seems to sit at “waiting”...

Back to displaying No Signal after shutdown period...

Could someone with an E70/71... mines a 13 post their selected settings...please... Appreciated...
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 03:42 PM   #153
subbu001
Enlisted Member
Rep

I drive knob does not work on android side
- Don't know this one. 90% of the time I use the touch screen for Android. So not fully sure if mine is working now. I will try it and let you know if mine indeed works. Vaguely, recall it was working at the very start.

Unit does not shut off... or accept changes such as ID 6 to 7 without pulling power on head unit...
- You mean even after Car is switched off and all the dash lights switch off, the unit is still on? First Press on the power button engine switches off and by the 2nd or 3rd press usually the unit switches off. So not sure how this is happening.

Back to displaying No Signal after shutdown period... - Sorry do not know as well.

How do you properly pair IPhone to head unit... - This was my worst nightmare for 2 weeks (documented here in this forum). Still not sure why it works now.

How it works now is when the car starts, the andoid bluetooth automatically looks for my phone and connects with it and immediately launches Zlink 75% of the time. Other times I have to go and click on it to start and it works.

I am sure you have done the following but just to repeat them:
1. Make sure you use the Phone hotspot to activate Zlink. Again dunno if it helps but no harm.
2. In the settings I think you need to make your Android Bluetooth as the master. Not the Car/OEM Bluetooth.
3. Just out of frustration I deleted my Phone from the idrive Blutooth so that it will never look for it. I also deleted the BMW profile from my iPhone Blutooth settings. So that my phone will also not look for the car.
4. After Step 3 - I connected my phone to the Android Bluetooth. Just to make sure the Android and the phone connect with each other.
5. This message: Bluetooth couldn't be used when when CarPlay used - is standard and true. I still get this message for 3 seconds or so. It use to annoy me as I thought that was the error.
6. After a week at least of trying many many times, it started working only in the mornings or after a long switch off period like overnight. But once I get out of the car, it will not connect again for the rest of the day.
7. After another week. it started working all the time.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 06:39 PM   #154
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the info...

Deleted all my BMW iPhone stuff... as I have no idea how I actually connected to ZLink/ CarPlay first time around...

But switching to android BT then trying to connect... nothing happens except the head unit just stuck on connecting...

Still there even after shutdown...rolling along...

So I pulled the plug on the head unit for this evening...

Tomorrow, the plan is to try the different Canbus setting... As nothing seems to happen just changing them... I’m going to select then pull the power and reconnect - as I don’t see how to restart otherwise.

That’s the only way I can get it to change from ID 6 to 7...

Just my luck....
Appreciate 0