XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-17-2018, 08:21 PM   #1
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Today both my key fobs stopped working. I have a 2012 x5 without comfort access.

The keys work for starting the car. The bottons in the car all work (such as lock and unlock). I can activate the alarm and unlock the car using the actual key in the door handle.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 01:32 AM   #2
Jax_415
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Try changing the battery on the key fob
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 07:34 AM   #3
five3three
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax_415 View Post
Try changing the battery on the key fob
non comfort access is rechargeable on its own and isn't meant for replacement (yes is doable but requires breaking it open).

I would just get another one however the chances that both remotes went out at the same exact time is very improbable to me and doesn't lead me to believe it's a battery.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 11:53 AM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
Today both my key fobs stopped working. I have a 2012 x5 without comfort access.

The keys work for starting the car. The bottons in the car all work (such as lock and unlock). I can activate the alarm and unlock the car using the actual key in the door handle.

thank you
Since you do NOT have CA (comfort access)...it means the remotes have a "rechargeable" battery that requires that the remote be physically inserted into the ignition lock (at least twice a year per the owners manual) while the car is being driven so that the battery inside the key can maintain a charge.

Since you didn't mention it...when was the last time either or your remotes have been inserted into the ignition lock (while driving for a good long time interval)?

The remotes have multiple features. The ability to start the vehicle (EWS) is separate (mostly) from the ability to lock/unlock (FZV) & arm/disarm (DWA). FZV & DWA requires the use of the battery inside the remote...EWS does not...it is self powering through induction. So it is not odd that the remote can start the vehicle...but could have a discharged internal battery and not be able to lock/unlock & arm/disarm the vehicle.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-18-2018 at 12:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 12:12 PM   #5
Jax_415
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Quote:
non comfort access is rechargeable on its own and isn't meant for replacement (yes is doable but requires breaking it open).

I would just get another one however the chances that both remotes went out at the same exact time is very improbable to me and doesn't lead me to believe it's a battery.
I have comfort access and both my key fob stop working to lock/unlock car and my is a 2013. I just replace key fob battery and it did the trick. Didn’t know without CA requires breaking open key fob
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 05:00 PM   #6
five3three
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Quote:

thank you
Since you do NOT have CA (comfort access)...it means the remotes have a "rechargeable" battery that requires that the remote be physically inserted into the ignition lock (at least twice a year per the owners manual) while the car is being driven so that the battery inside the key can maintain a charge.

Since you didn't mention it...when was the last time either or your remotes have been inserted into the ignition lock (while driving for a good long time interval)?

The remotes have multiple features. The ability to start the vehicle (EWS) is separate (mostly) from the ability to lock/unlock (FZV) & arm/disarm (DWA). FZV & DWA requires the use of the battery inside the remote...EWS does not...it is self powering through induction. So it is not odd that the remote can start the vehicle...but could have a discharged internal battery and not be able to lock/unlock & arm/disarm the vehicle.
Thanks for the info. I have used both key fobs regularly on very long drives (including today) and there is no change in the ability to use the key fob. There was also no period that the car wasn't used so no reason for it to die out suddenly.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 09:19 AM   #7
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I have used both key fobs regularly on very long drives (including today) and there is no change in the ability to use the key fob. There was also no period that the car wasn't used so no reason for it to die out suddenly.
Have you checked the fuse(s)?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 09:19 PM   #8
five3three
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
Quote:
Have you checked the fuse(s)?
Turned out to be a fuse! I am surprised that it was a fuse that was listed as having to do with the parking brake that caused the remotes to not work. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 01:29 AM   #9
batesj
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70

I have exactly the same symptoms!! Which fuse was it? I’ve tried 27 and 28..
Appreciate 0