XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

06-30-2019, 01:54 PM   #1
dreamalaska
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6 3.5i

Hi all. My 2013 (build date Oct '12) with 60k miles has the water pump throwing assorted errors. First sign was yellow dash warning followed by red warning a few seconds later. Pulled over and cycled car off/on and all back to normal. Pulled the codes with my handy Carly adapter and showing 0377a.. That's a "blockage error". Ok, weird, but nothing about the water pump. A couple days later same issue. After research online found out multiple codes like this one are triggered when the pump starts failing. So time for a new pump. I can get a new one with a lifetime warranty made by OEM manufacturer for $359 from Autozone. But after researching what a piss poor quality these pumps are, with premature failure rates, does anyone know:

1. if BMW offers a hidden "goodwill" replacement program?
2. If not, is there an aftermarket built hell for stout replacement for it?

There are literally thousands of these crappy washing machine pumps in inline 6 BMW engines all over the world, and I'm still dumbfounded that the primary cooling system pump is literally built like a piece of Chinese garbage (which btw you can find on Amazon for $88 lol)...

Update 1: Just discovered that the pump has been updated to part number 11519455978 as of March 2019. The old part number is not allowed to be used by BMW. Hopefully this new part number fixes the crappy reliability. If you're doing this yourself save yourself some hassle and get the new part number replacement.

Update 2: Newest pump #11519455978 has been unavailable and on back order since it went into BMW's part system in March.

Update 3: ECS Tuning will be getting the new water pump design 11519455978 directly from Continental/VDO by end of July '19.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 11:45 PM   #2
Mightymaus
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Graphite/Black leather X4 M40i

Garage List
2012 X6 M  [0.00]
Had a recall on my 2012 X6 M S63 motor for the auxillary water pump just after I purchased it last year.

thank God because it was due to be changed.

IDK if there's a recall on yours.
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2019, 03:49 PM   #3
Frankkao14
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X6 50i

You should check your VIN # to see if theres a recall on your water pump. I had my auxiliary water pump replaced for free at the dealer.
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2019, 02:06 PM   #4
dreamalaska
Private
United_States
Rep

I've checked for a recall and there was one for 2011 and 2012 model years, nothing for 2013. Also, the infamous 4.4L V8 apparently has auxiliary water pumps that cool the turbos and were subject to a recall, but there's not an auxiliary pump on the 3L inline 6.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 12:14 PM   #5
dreamalaska
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankkao14 View Post
You should check your VIN # to see if theres a recall on your water pump. I had my auxiliary water pump replaced for free at the dealer.
Frank, just to clarify, which year/model do you own? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 10:43 PM   #6
Frankkao14
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X6 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamalaska View Post
Frank, just to clarify, which year/model do you own? Thanks
I have a 2012 BMW x6 50i.

I have replaced the auxiliary water pump three times now under the recall. The pump kept failing and finally BMW updated the water pump not too long ago so they installed the updated version. So far so good.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 02:51 PM   #7
dreamalaska
Private
United_States
Rep

Final update (mainly for people google searching). Couldn't wait for BMWs new updated water pump for the 3.0L engine and bought a new one through AutoZone because it comes with a lifetime replacement warranty. There are around 4 good videos on YouTube that go through changing the pump on X5's and 6's which were very helpful. Spent about 5 hours total taking my time. Not really "hard" but the space is tight in places. One video recommends taking off the stainless steel water supply pipe coming off the block to allow easier removal of the pump, but I wasn't going to do that and risk introducing another possible leak point during reattachment. The nuts on that pipe are difficult to access. Instead, the easiest way is to just remove the engine radiator fan housing. Amazingly there are no bolts that secure it but snap tabs. Pretty easy to remove and put back. You can then easily slide the pump up and out through enough space on the drivers side. Hopefully the newest designed pump finally fixes the premature failures. But if the aux pump issues on the 4.4L V8 are any indication, I doubt it. Boo BMW for your great ideas and shitty execution. 👎
Appreciate 0