XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-10-2022, 12:14 PM   #1
m3gustaaa
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1995 bmw m3

2012 X5D coming up on ~135k, keep or sell? ABC delete is not an option

Hey so yeah my X5D is getting up there in miles. Creeping up to 135k but i have done some decent maintenance since my ownership. Im mostly concerned with how much longer the emissions equipment will last. Ive owned the car since 56k and in my ownership ive had the Diff/TC/Trans fluid&pan replaced twice. Upper and lower turbos + all lines and actuator replaced at 110k. TC was replaced with a refurbished unit from a 2013 X5 at 125k. Cooling was overhauled once at 80k, then had some hoses and expansion tank done again at 125k. I just recently refreshed the struts, mounts, all linkages and arms. Glow plugs and module have been replaced. EGR coolor is the only emissions component thats been replaced. The only "modification" i did was a swirl flap delete at 58k

I tow my E36 to track days 4-5 times per year. I can just barely start to feel the trans starting to slip, or im just being paranoid. But i do trans/diff/tc fluid every 40-50k.

Mostly what im concerned with is how much longer emissions equipment will last and whether it will be worth it or not to repair at that point. I live in CA and i dont wanto deal with sketchy smogs as this is my primary daily. The only saving grace is that i drive the car pretty hard, ive sacrificed MPG but it seems to keep by carbon build up at a minimum. We were suprised how clean the ports were when we pulled the manifold off at 110k.

I own the car outright but the new Ranger Tremor is tempting me.. dont really want a car payment tho. I also just absolutely love my X5...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 02:16 PM   #2
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Of the many, many, BMWs I've owned. A high mileage 35d has been the hardest and most painful to keep on the road. Ours is at 168k. Trans replacement at 165k (E clutch failure). After everything was put back together the SCR system was not happy even though it was fine before the work. DDE locked the truck to no start condition. Just this morning ordered 2 new NOX sensors ($885) and will likely have to send the DDE off to rest the mileage counter for SCR system so that I can continue to run through the diag plans on ISTA/D.

I've learned a lot about these newer systems on the diesels, which is good as we also have an F15 diesel. If it's your primary vehicle, might be time to start thinking about a replacement. We have 4 other Bimmers so the only real annoyance is that it takes up space in the garage and I have to use the winch to move it around the driveway. Oh... and the cost of parts is ridiculous. Especially those emissions parts...
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 12:11 PM   #3
robinasu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E70 BMW X5d

So the emissions stuff will cost you if you can't fix it yourself. Most of the parts that break can be bought, but the urea tank stuff needs to be improvised. Luckily, the active tank heater/level assembly can be bought now. The other level sensors can be fixed if yo are handy and the temp sensors are just usual 10k sensors. The hard part is the confusing diagnosis and how to handle the code sequence correctly. There are some good threads on this sprouting up. Bottom line, if you don't work on cars you might want to sell high.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 08:32 AM   #4
Nyc Dito
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3gustaaa View Post
Hey so yeah my X5D is getting up there in miles. Creeping up to 135k but i have done some decent maintenance since my ownership. Im mostly concerned with how much longer the emissions equipment will last. Ive owned the car since 56k and in my ownership ive had the Diff/TC/Trans fluid&pan replaced twice. Upper and lower turbos + all lines and actuator replaced at 110k. TC was replaced with a refurbished unit from a 2013 X5 at 125k. Cooling was overhauled once at 80k, then had some hoses and expansion tank done again at 125k. I just recently refreshed the struts, mounts, all linkages and arms. Glow plugs and module have been replaced. EGR coolor is the only emissions component thats been replaced. The only "modification" i did was a swirl flap delete at 58k

I tow my E36 to track days 4-5 times per year. I can just barely start to feel the trans starting to slip, or im just being paranoid. But i do trans/diff/tc fluid every 40-50k.

Mostly what im concerned with is how much longer emissions equipment will last and whether it will be worth it or not to repair at that point. I live in CA and i dont wanto deal with sketchy smogs as this is my primary daily. The only saving grace is that i drive the car pretty hard, ive sacrificed MPG but it seems to keep by carbon build up at a minimum. We were suprised how clean the ports were when we pulled the manifold off at 110k.

I own the car outright but the new Ranger Tremor is tempting me.. dont really want a car payment tho. I also just absolutely love my X5...
To me it sounds like you are already doing what needs to be done in maintaining a healthy diesel X5.

Since you have already done transmission service and repairs, have you tried reaching out to a trans tuner? Maybe someone like Rod Sutphin can get you a heavy duty, yet street-able, setup. That seems to be the only thing I would consider since you do tow.

I vote keep it. I'm at 135k, stock emissions and a stage 1 tune. I DRIVE well enough to keep things at bay, monitor my ash/soot/coolant temps, do forced regens if needed and drive about 200 miles a week, give or take.

The Ranger Lariat is nice, and of course any newer car will have all the goodies. But still love me some good old X5.
      02-19-2022, 11:40 AM   #5
shaner3721
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35d

Personally, I'd keep it. I've got 170k and have had a few minor emissions scares that resulted in nothing. Ultimately, I'll probably delete that system and throw a tune on as I don't want the headache of worrying about the no start (on an off-road vehicle).

If you love it, like I do, no reason to not run it for another 225k

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinasu View Post
So the emissions stuff will cost you if you can't fix it yourself. Most of the parts that break can be bought, but the urea tank stuff needs to be improvised. Luckily, the active tank heater/level assembly can be bought now. The other level sensors can be fixed if yo are handy and the temp sensors are just usual 10k sensors. The hard part is the confusing diagnosis and how to handle the code sequence correctly. There are some good threads on this sprouting up. Bottom line, if you don't work on cars you might want to sell high.
robinasu - can you please link me to or clarify how you can fix the level sensor i the passive tank???
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 11:54 AM   #6
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner3721 View Post
robinasu - can you please link me to or clarify how you can fix the level sensor i the passive tank???
He's referring to the active tank. FCP now sells a kit (I'm sure other suppliers do as well) with Bosch being the manufacturer. I've used it and rebuilt my tank, works well and have not had any further codes regarding the heater/level sender.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...sch-f01c600251
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 12:40 PM   #7
NJX5D
Rep
Drives: '12 X5D, '05 Excursion 6.0L

Nyc Dito Is there a way to tell what stage 1 you have through a reader?
I bought mine w a stage 1 tune already, the seller was suppose to give me the paperwork for it at the time of sale but forgot it. He was going to email it to me but can't find it or can't be bother with it. I know there is a tune on it bc BMW confirmed when I did a presale inspection.
thx
Appreciate 0