XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-13-2019, 10:07 AM   #1
E30ROB
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35i M Sport AW3

Garage List
Exclamation 2013 X35i - Hesitation/Jerk from a stop

Hello all,

I have a 2013 X5 X35i with 92k on the clock.

The car has been great to me, with no big issues. I started to get binding in parking lot maneuvers so last night I changed the transfer case fluid with DTF from the dealer. Problem fixed.

But now I need to address another issue I am having.

When I take off from a stop, the car will jerk abruptly when I begin to start moving. No other jerks or issues while driving, only when going from a dead stop to moving forward. It almost feels like a "catch" of the gear. It will rev up just a little over idle when stepping on the accelerator, and then it with do its "catch and jerk" and then i'm moving forward and no issues after.

I am leaning towards doing a transmission service on the ZF8 but I wanted some opinions before I go ahead with it.

**side not, may be related? When I start the vehicle cold, sometimes the idle will go up and down and if I am in gear and not pressing the brake the car will move according to how the RPM's are fluctuating. No malfunctions, lights or anything. The car makes full power and pulls hard.

MODIFICATIONS:
MHD stage 2+ (linear throttle mapping off)
VRSF charge pipe
Golf Tee mod
Fresh transfer case fluid
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 11:23 AM   #2
TwinSnailz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5//M

Reset transfer case adaptation.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 03:56 PM   #3
ryansbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35i M-Sport, 2010 535x

Interested in hearing answers as well. My transmission does the same thing. After Christmas I will be doing a fluid change (as preventative maintenance) and I’m wondering if that will fix the problem.

I have noticed if I put the transmission in sport mode, it doesn’t happen or is very much less noticeable
      12-20-2019, 01:56 AM   #4
svt1998gt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335i, 2012 X5 M spor

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansbmw View Post
Interested in hearing answers as well. My transmission does the same thing. After Christmas I will be doing a fluid change (as preventative maintenance) and I'm wondering if that will fix the problem.

I have noticed if I put the transmission in sport mode, it doesn't happen or is very much less noticeable
if you are xdrive pull fuse F92 and see if it goes away. there is a youtube video of the fuse panel in the trunk. it should be tied to the transfer motor. this will disable all wheel drive. that would be the fastest way to diagnose the t.c.

good luck
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 06:08 PM   #5
E30ROB
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35i M Sport AW3

Garage List
Quote:
Interested in hearing answers as well. My transmission does the same thing. After Christmas I will be doing a fluid change (as preventative maintenance) and I'm wondering if that will fix the problem.

I have noticed if I put the transmission in sport mode, it doesn't happen or is very much less noticeable
Quote:

I just ordered a trans service kit, diverter valve, upgraded air filter, and drive belt kit (making noise). I'll report back with the results.

So far TC is not binding in park lots after changing fluid with OEM fluid from the dealer.

My wastegate is also rattling and last time I pulled the downpipe it has some play
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 09:04 PM   #6
Skers 05
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 1M Clone, '11 328i, '13 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30ROB View Post
Hello all,

I have a 2013 X5 X35i with 92k on the clock.

The car has been great to me, with no big issues. I started to get binding in parking lot maneuvers so last night I changed the transfer case fluid with DTF from the dealer. Problem fixed.

But now I need to address another issue I am having.

When I take off from a stop, the car will jerk abruptly when I begin to start moving. No other jerks or issues while driving, only when going from a dead stop to moving forward. It almost feels like a "catch" of the gear. It will rev up just a little over idle when stepping on the accelerator, and then it with do its "catch and jerk" and then i'm moving forward and no issues after.

I am leaning towards doing a transmission service on the ZF8 but I wanted some opinions before I go ahead with it.

**side not, may be related? When I start the vehicle cold, sometimes the idle will go up and down and if I am in gear and not pressing the brake the car will move according to how the RPM's are fluctuating. No malfunctions, lights or anything. The car makes full power and pulls hard.

MODIFICATIONS:
MHD stage 2+ (linear throttle mapping off)
VRSF charge pipe
Golf Tee mod
Fresh transfer case fluid
I saw an improvement in this behavior after changing the the transmission fluid, filter and mechatronics sleeves. I did this work at 70k mi on our 2013 E70 X5 N55 ZF8HP.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 03:32 AM   #7
wayne3546
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d

Thanks for the update.
Appreciate 0