XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-25-2019, 11:39 AM   #1
Steepcreeker
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 XDrive 50i

2011 X5 V8TT - Increased Battery Discharge Alert

I have started receiving this alert when starting the vehicle "Increased Battery Discharge"

Battery?
Alternator?
something bigger?

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 12:15 PM   #2
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Cold weather and short drives will make it happen sooner rather than later. Make sure that all of the drives are decently long for a few days, like 20-30 min plus, or even longer if possible.
If it keeps popping up, time for a new battery. When you replace it, make sure that the new battery is registered in the system, so that the car knows that it is charging a new battery, not an old one that isn't charging properly.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 05:21 PM   #3
Steepcreeker
Rep

This car makes many short drives, rarely over a half-hour when driving around town. The suggestion makes sense.

Any voltmeter tests to determine if battery is dying?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 01:24 PM   #4
Steepcreeker
Rep

What are the options for getting this alert taken care of? Is it a battery thing?
deeper electrical issue?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 02:40 PM   #5
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steepcreeker View Post
I have started receiving this alert when starting the vehicle "Increased Battery Discharge"

Battery?
Alternator?
something bigger?

Thoughts?
I have pretty much the same X5 as you. Things to check:

Do you have air suspension? If so the air pump can come on and wear down the battery if you have leaky air bags in the back.

Do you have comfort access? If so shorts in the door handle sensors can wear down the battery.

Still possible it is your alternator or battery so Get yourself a cigarette lighter voltmeter and monitor the voltage, it will help you determine what your charging system is doing when driving and help eliminate the variables.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 03:08 PM   #6
Steepcreeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
I have pretty much the same X5 as you. Things to check:

Do you have air suspension? If so the air pump can come on and wear down the battery if you have leaky air bags in the back.
It does not. Not that I am aware of.

Quote:
Do you have comfort access? If so shorts in the door handle sensors can wear down the battery.
It does not.

Quote:
Still possible it is your alternator or battery so Get yourself a cigarette lighter voltmeter and monitor the voltage, it will help you determine what your charging system is doing when driving and help eliminate the variables.
Good idea, I'll see if I can dig one up.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 12:12 PM   #7
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Just since you had mentioned it, mine started popping up last week when it got really cold out, and was basically staying on, as well my comfort access stopped unlocking the car so I had to use the fob to unlock a few times.
Over the weekend, as it warmed up and I took some longer drives, everything charged up well and is happy again.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 10:27 PM   #8
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

FYI - You’re eligible for free battery replacements as part of bang vs bmw class action settlement.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 01:21 PM   #9
Steepcreeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5er View Post
FYI - You’re eligible for free battery replacements as part of bang vs bmw class action settlement.
This sounds great. Could you please elaborate a bit on the process? Or forward some more information? I'll start googling a bit.

Same recall as the infamous one I'm always reading about with this vehicle?

just googled real quick and found this...The Claim form filing deadline has now passed. In order for your claim to be timely, it needed to be postmarked, if submitted by mail, or submitted online no later than October 12, 2018.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 04:28 PM   #10
aligoodn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M

My wife's X5M suffered from battery drain due to the comfort access door handles failing. It took me awhile to figure it out, but I ended up unplugging the electrical connections on the door handles (she didn't use the comfort access feature anyways) and the problem went away.

Short trips don't help either, these cars do quite a bit after you turn the engine off that drains the battery. I installed a battery tender and ran the leads in the cargo area so I have my wife plug it in every so often if she's not driving far.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 10:27 PM   #11
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This sounds great. Could you please elaborate a bit on the process? Or forward some more information? I'll start googling a bit.

Same recall as the infamous one I'm always reading about with this vehicle?

just googled real quick and found this...The Claim form filing deadline has now passed. In order for your claim to be timely, it needed to be postmarked, if submitted by mail, or submitted online no later than October 12, 2018.
You don’t need to file a claim for the battery replacement , it’s a settlement benefit. The claim is needed only for past reimbursement.

https://bangclasssettlement.com/Port...-29-085905-000
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 11:22 AM   #12
Steepcreeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5er View Post
You don’t need to file a claim for the battery replacement , it’s a settlement benefit.
Thanks bmwx5er!,
So I just need to bring the vehicle to a BMW dealer for service?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 10:06 AM   #13
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks bmwx5er!,
So I just need to bring the vehicle to a BMW dealer for service?
AFAIK, yes. Bring the settlement paperwork as well to show it to your SA in case they claim ignorance.
Appreciate 0