XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-23-2019, 09:41 PM   #45
gsnake
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog99 View Post
As I said it may not be right for you, but I can attest that for my use cases above it really works well. Agreed that AVIN is CRAP!
I like having streaming services ready so there is variety on tap, but that might not be your style.

To compare your USB to this solution Id suggest get an adapter cable & plug your iphone into the aux in 3.5mm jack & see how that compares. That is what this is ultimately.

Sequence is:
Turn on Car
Long press Menu button to "switch" to teh box / carplay.
Carplay auto launches on phone & in car once cable connected.

Then Ill hit my mic button & tell siri where im going. And do that again & tell her what podcast I want to listen to. Then I have the map up on the display w/ traffic info while listenting to music or podcast. Any calls or texts show up & I can answer via the jog dial (or pass on them).
You are right, I just tested the music from aux via the cable - it is comparable to the usb.. It is hard to say which sound is better but yes - it is definitely nice!
What about the reverse camera - when you park (go back and forth) - how does it work with the carplay?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 10:58 PM   #46
maddog99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 V8 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsnake View Post
You are right, I just tested the music from aux via the cable - it is comparable to the usb.. It is hard to say which sound is better but yes - it is definitely nice!
What about the reverse camera - when you park (go back and forth) - how does it work with the carplay?

Im glad you did this test as I dont have USB stick music (Im lazy yes!).

As for reverse, it all auto switches over. Feels like OEM & no lag.
Its actually a little surprising because Im in what feels like a 2019 experience in carplay, then sucked back to 2014 w/ the backup cam view lol, then back to 2019.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 11:27 PM   #47
laselvasurf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 X5M/Ford Raptor/19 BMW i3

If I end up purchasing the X5M I'm currently looking at, I'll definitely be in for one.
2019 i3

Last edited by laselvasurf; 01-25-2019 at 08:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 08:32 AM   #48
gsnake
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Im glad you did this test as I dont have USB stick music (Im lazy yes!).

As for reverse, it all auto switches over. Feels like OEM & no lag.
Its actually a little surprising because Im in what feels like a 2019 experience in carplay, then sucked back to 2014 w/ the backup cam view lol, then back to 2019.
nice!
but for the camera - the OEM behavior is when you reverse and then start moving forward the camera is still on (which is useful when you do a parallel parking and you can switch to top view by just pressing on the idrive controller).
I guess in this case you need to push the camera button to keep it on the screen or switch to the OEM screen? Did you run into this inconvenience?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 12:01 PM   #49
maddog99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 V8 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsnake View Post
nice!
but for the camera - the OEM behavior is when you reverse and then start moving forward the camera is still on (which is useful when you do a parallel parking and you can switch to top view by just pressing on the idrive controller).
I guess in this case you need to push the camera button to keep it on the screen or switch to the OEM screen? Did you run into this inconvenience?
No its the same behaviour, I notice no difference.
It goes into rear view when I switch into reverse.
Then when I switch to drive, it stays in rear view for a couple/few seconds, then switches back.
whatever the internal logic is of the oem unit, it holds here. but when it comes back, it comes back to the airplay screen.
same experience as before.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 12:33 PM   #50
gsnake
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Then when I switch to drive, it stays in rear view for a couple/few seconds, then switches back.
whatever the internal logic is of the oem unit, it holds here. but when it comes back, it comes back to the airplay screen.
super! maybe what I read was an earlier version of the unichip carplay or who knows - someone was not happy how it was working with reverse camera.
So, I guess I will think more about it.
the reason your unichip mike works better is because it is basically hardwired to the phone vs original car BT is not..
I don't like the fact I have to play my music from the phone (which is not capable of storing all my music). And I would prefer a larger screen - I wish we could upgrade to 10" OEM screen somehow.. Avin has a large one but it is so-so..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 12:34 PM   #51
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
There also is a backup camera input on the Carplay unit right? If so, how do you select to use that input? I am thinking about also getting one of these for my E90 which has an aftermarket backup camera.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 03:19 PM   #52
jersey john
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeO View Post
So far, we have a minimum of 8 potential buyers. I'm not included on this list, because I purchased mine before the group buy started and will receive it tomorrow. I'll post up my feedback, pros & cons, etc. after the installation.

In any event, my preliminary list is as follows & updated 01/22/19:

1) pummkin
2) vic7780
3) smassey321
4) heymattw
5) gregolas
6) SimSimmah
7)
8) brianstrawberry

I will contact Unichip to get final price with PayPal exchange fees + DHL express shipping. Keep in mind that I am not making any money off of this deal, just trying to help out fellow X members.
I'd be interested in this as well. Haven't read through the entire thread yet; but add me to the list....

John

I feel like every day is the Kobayashi Maru and my name's not James T. Kirk
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2019, 04:00 PM   #53
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

1) pummkin
2) vic7780
3) smassey321
4) heymattw
5) SimSimmah
6) BWMBuffalo
7) brianstrawberry
8) jersey john

Last edited by Kraftwerk AG; 01-26-2019 at 12:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 10:52 AM   #54
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Guys, I've made the difficult decision not to carry on with the GB. However, there's still time to organize this, as the order date is not until Jan. 29th. So, if someone's interested in taking over, shoot me a PM for more details.
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2019, 11:15 AM   #55
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Update as of Monday, Jan. 28, 2019: SimSimmah is now in charge of the group buy. I am helping him get this going. Post up here with your questions, or PM either one of us, as I will be assisting him.

Please be sure to check your PayPal account for email for request of funds. We need this money by tomorrow, Jan 29th to take advantage to the discount price!

I will be checking the board daily to make sure this goes as smoothly as possible.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 11:48 AM   #56
SimSimmah
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35d

1) pummkin
2) vic7780
3) smassey321
4) heymattw
5) SimSimmah
6) BMWBuffalo
7) brianstrawberry
8) jersey john

Hey guys, I know I'm a new member but I've worked group buys for other vehicles and sites before so this isn't my first rodeo. We've got a quick turn around to get our order in before the factory closes for their spring holiday.

Please inbox me ASAP so that we can coordinate payment and logistics for this order. $299/unit for 5-9 units or $285/unit for 10 or more. If you've got any friends on the fence, now is the time! You'll also be responsible for shipping costs to your individual location once the product arrives in the CONUS. Use of Paypal is a must.

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2019, 11:56 AM   #57
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimSimmah View Post
1) pummkin
2) vic7780
3) smassey321
4) heymattw
5) SimSimmah
6) BMWBuffalo
7) brianstrawberry
8) jersey john

Hey guys, I know I'm a new member but I've worked group buys for other vehicles and sites before so this isn't my first rodeo. We've got a quick turn around to get our order in before the factory closes for their spring holiday.

Please inbox me ASAP so that we can coordinate payment and logistics for this order. $299/unit for 5-9 units or $285/unit for 10 or more. If you've got any friends on the fence, now is the time! You'll also be responsible for shipping costs to your individual location once the product arrives in the CONUS. Use of Paypal is a must.

Thanks!
Hi guys,

I can vouch for SimSimmah, as we've been in close contact to help make this group buy work as smoothly as possible. Please give him your full cooperation as he has the experience doing this sort of thing! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 12:16 PM   #58
heymattw
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5

Thanks! I will keep a lookout for the PayPal invoice and pay.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 12:20 PM   #59
SimSimmah
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymattw View Post
Thanks! I will keep a lookout for the PayPal invoice and pay.

Matt
PM Sent.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 12:59 PM   #60
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey john View Post
I'd be interested in this as well. Haven't read through the entire thread yet; but add me to the list....

John
PM'd
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 01:05 PM   #61
SimSimmah
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeO View Post
PM'd
Message sent.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 06:28 PM   #62
SimSimmah
Private
United_States
Rep

1) pummkin
2) vic7780
3) smassey321
4) heymattw
5) SimSimmah
6) BMWBuffalo
7) brianstrawberry
8) jersey john

I just heard from the manufacturer and they'd like us to order in the next hour in order to be able to program the units and ship out before their holiday hits. I know this is a long shot, but I figured I'd toss it out there on the off chance we can go ahead and place the order. I've got 2 people paid so far, but we need a minimum of three more to place the order today (if not, the factory is closed until 15Feb). Please post or PM me nowish. 830p EST is the cut off for this order attempt. I'm sorry to adjust the dates, but it's 29 January in China right now and I'm relaying what the sales contact is telling me. I keep forgetting they are GMT +8 over there.

I'll update this thread at 830p EST with a status update regardless.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 07:21 PM   #63
BMWBuffalo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i

Quote:
1) pummkin
2) vic7780
3) smassey321
4) heymattw
5) SimSimmah
6) BMWBuffalo
7) brianstrawberry
8) jersey john

I just heard from the manufacturer and they'd like us to order in the next hour in order to be able to program the units and ship out before their holiday hits. I know this is a long shot, but I figured I'd toss it out there on the off chance we can go ahead and place the order. I've got 2 people paid so far, but we need a minimum of three more to place the order today (if not, the factory is closed until 15Feb). Please post or PM me nowish. 830p EST is the cut off for this order attempt. I'm sorry to adjust the dates, but it's 29 January in China right now and I'm relaying what the sales contact is telling me. I keep forgetting they are GMT +8 over there.

I'll update this thread at 830p EST with a status update regardless.
Count me in.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 07:24 PM   #64
heymattw
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5

If you need me to cover more I can do that to get it through. I'll sell it back to someone If they are on the original list for what I paid, if not...
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 07:42 PM   #65
SimSimmah
Private
United_States
Rep

Thank you heymattw & BMWBuffalo, but we'd still be short the minimum. Looks like the turn around time was just too short. I'll start a dedicated group-buy thread (Sorry to hijack your good thread maddog99!)with a 14Feb cut off date. If we have enough orders on 14Feb, then we'll press forward. If not, then I guess we all simply weren't meant to have CarPlay!

New thread link will be posted here shortly.

Thanks all!
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2019, 08:02 PM   #66
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thank you heymattw & BMWBuffalo, but we'd still be short the minimum. Looks like the turn around time was just too short. I'll start a dedicated group-buy thread (Sorry to hijack your good thread maddog99!)with a 14Feb cut off date. If we have enough orders on 14Feb, then we'll press forward. If not, then I guess we all simply weren't meant to have CarPlay!

New thread link will be posted here shortly.

Thanks all!
Check your PM!
Appreciate 0