XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

07-28-2008, 12:27 PM   #1
BMW50X62K8
Germany
Rep
Drives: bmw50x62k8

What sites have after market goodies for the X6's?

I am looking for any non-BMW sites (BMW accessories - very expensive ), that sell accessories for all the X6 models.

Items needed:

1.) Winter ROF tires that will fit the 20"s from OEM - saw the thread from guy in Toronto - with his research at TireRack - would like to know if anyone else found anything better.
2.) Clear bra kits for hood, fenders, bumper, mirrors, lights.
3.) Floor liners, front and rear seat sections and trunk.
4.) Lowering and HP tuning kits for the 50i.
5.) Open for ideas on other must have items.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 01:06 PM   #2
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW50X62K8 View Post
I am looking for any non-BMW sites (BMW accessories - very expensive ), that sell accessories for all the X6 models.

Items needed:

1.) Winter ROF tires that will fit the 20"s from OEM - saw the thread from guy in Toronto - with his research at TireRack - would like to know if anyone else found anything better.
2.) Clear bra kits for hood, fenders, bumper, mirrors, lights.
3.) Floor liners, front and rear seat sections and trunk.
4.) Lowering and HP tuning kits for the 50i.
5.) Open for ideas on other must have items.
1. I did some quick research on run-flat winter tires too. Checked pretty much all the big names and a couple smaller outfits.
It appears that none of these guys makes any run-flat winter tires that would fit the standard 20" sports rims (style 214 or 259) for the X6

Which means that you most likely have to get an extra set of rims for the winter tires. I think I'm going to get the style 275 rims from BMW when my 50i finally gets here and will check what BMW will offer as suggested winter tires then.

As for the other items, sorry can't really help you there...
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 05:03 PM   #3
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 - Alpine White

Quote:
That was me, there is nothing better yet. I will check again in November.

- KJ
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 12:54 PM   #4
BMW50X62K8
Germany
Rep

Thanks gents - I will keep looking for goodies...

- KJ, what are your thoughts on putting the TireRack combo on the OEM F/R 20's in the October timeframe and then putting the summer meats back on in May 2009? Reason I ask is my 50i will be a w/e driver only and with where I am at in Germany - not much snow - but does get a bit chilly out on the autobahns and worried this beast may end up skating on the summer meats with these kinds of speeds we enjoy here

Just how bad is it to un-mount then re-mount the summer meats 5-6 months later? My situation is - expecting X6 delivery on first week Sept, and given the $1k plus for a reasonable winter tire combo that would fit on my OEM whls - this may be the ticket for this winter as long as it would not screw up re-using the summer meats next summer.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 02:01 PM   #5
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 - Alpine White

Quote:
Thanks gents - I will keep looking for goodies...

- KJ, what are your thoughts on putting the TireRack combo on the OEM F/R 20's in the October timeframe and then putting the summer meats back on in May 2009? Reason I ask is my 50i will be a w/e driver only and with where I am at in Germany - not much snow - but does get a bit chilly out on the autobahns and worried this beast may end up skating on the summer meats with these kinds of speeds we enjoy here

Just how bad is it to un-mount then re-mount the summer meats 5-6 months later? My situation is - expecting X6 delivery on first week Sept, and given the $1k plus for a reasonable winter tire combo that would fit on my OEM whls - this may be the ticket for this winter as long as it would not screw up re-using the summer meats next summer.
The dealer and tire shops will tell you that mounting and remounting the tires is bad for the tires. In my experience, the tires don't ever have problems with mounting and remounting. It's the rims that get mashed up a bit each time you do it. If you take it to a nice shop, they probably won't scratch it. Just to be safe, make sure they inspect the rims with you before they change the tires. Then if they change the tires and scratch the rims, tell them to "repair the wheels" for you free of charge.

I do it all the time, no problems.

As for driving with summer tires in the cold winter. The grip won't be good with summers in severe cold, but it'll still be driveable. As soon as slush or ice is on the ground, you're in a LOT of trouble.

If the winter's aren't bad where you are in Germany, maybe "high performance all-season" tires would be best for you. Keep in mind that they'll suck in the snow and won't stick as good as summer-meat in the heat. The plus is that it'll be really convenient for you and you'll never have to deal with changing tires.

- KJ
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 03:49 PM   #6
yyzx6
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
The dealer and tire shops will tell you that mounting and remounting the tires is bad for the tires. In my experience, the tires don't ever have problems with mounting and remounting. It's the rims that get mashed up a bit each time you do it. If you take it to a nice shop, they probably won't scratch it. Just to be safe, make sure they inspect the rims with you before they change the tires. Then if they change the tires and scratch the rims, tell them to "repair the wheels" for you free of charge.

I do it all the time, no problems.

As for driving with summer tires in the cold winter. The grip won't be good with summers in severe cold, but it'll still be driveable. As soon as slush or ice is on the ground, you're in a LOT of trouble.

If the winter's aren't bad where you are in Germany, maybe "high performance all-season" tires would be best for you. Keep in mind that they'll suck in the snow and won't stick as good as summer-meat in the heat. The plus is that it'll be really convenient for you and you'll never have to deal with changing tires.

- KJ
Hey KJ, which shop do you go to change the tires? They gurantee they won't damage the rims?
      07-30-2008, 08:50 AM   #7
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

I have to disagree with KJ just a little. Every time you remove and install a tire, you stretch the steel contact band a fraction. Here in North America it probably doesn't matter, but in a country where sustained high-speed driving is the norm, I'm not sure it can be ignored. Anyway, what's the saving by not having a separate set of winter wheels? If you use one set of wheels, you pay mounting and balancing on four wheels twice a year, which is probably close to the depreciation on a second set of wheels. I like to change wheels myself every spring and fall as it gives me a chance to take a good look at brakes, suspension, CV boots, etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 12:47 PM   #8
BMW50X62K8
Germany
Rep

Great points, all around - thanks! This is my second year out here, have been enjoying my 2007 328xi with all seasons which are now getting close to 40k on them. It is my daily commuter, and reaching 120mph for at least 30 minutes for each way in my commute - so I have put much faith in every bit of my 3er - and even more with the OEM RFT's. I am in the process of getting an order in for a full set of winter RFT's and wheel combos for this little baby. Then next summer - I will put a new set of summer RFT's on the OEM wheels.

However, now that I am getting ready for truly fly down these autobahs with way more mass and sheer HP power than this little 3er - I gotta hope that these tire co's will soon offer better winter choices/sizes and include the RF technology for these 20" wheels on the X6.

Not looking forward to seeing the winter wheel bill for the X6 - but, better safe then sorry.
Appreciate 0