XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

07-27-2008, 12:18 AM   #1
yyzx6
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6 xDrive35i

Need some help and advice

Hi guys, I'm wondering if anyone can give me some help on the following items:

1. How to change the fog light bulbs on the X6? Do I need to remove the wheel liner to access the fog light or is there an easier method?

2. Is there an aftermarket solution to make viewing video while the car is running possible? I was too cheap to opt for the dvd entertainment system at the back and want to see if I can use the 8.8" for my kids. And has anyone installed a TV tuner on the X6 yet?

3. Has anyone try some LED bulbs on the rear license plate? Do you get any error message?

Thanks a lot for the help.
      07-27-2008, 03:00 AM   #2
leonelm3
SHOCKINVIBES MOTORSPORTS !
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001AA SC E46M3+09AudiQ7 Sline

Those are some good questions, i am sorry i can not help answer since my wifes X6 50i has not arrived yet but i am interested to know myself.
2008 BMW X6 xDrive 50i
on 22's
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 09:47 AM   #3
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 - Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzx6 View Post
2. Is there an aftermarket solution to make viewing video while the car is running possible? I was too cheap to opt for the dvd entertainment system at the back and want to see if I can use the 8.8" for my kids. And has anyone installed a TV tuner on the X6 yet?
I asked the same thing earlier and right now I don't believe there is a solution yet.

For older BMW's, a product like this would work:
http://www.tvfree-modules.com/products.html

I hope that they come up with something like this that works on the latest generation of BMW's!

- KJ
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 12:16 PM   #4
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Hi guys, I'm wondering if anyone can give me some help on the following items:

1. How to change the fog light bulbs on the X6? Do I need to remove the wheel liner to access the fog light or is there an easier method?

3. Has anyone try some LED bulbs on the rear license plate? Do you get any error message?

Thanks a lot for the help.
1. Is your fog light already broken or you just want to change it to a different light bulb?

2. Are your kids sitting in the back? If so, the navigation screen would be a bit far for them to watch movies on wouldn't it be?

Also, I noticed you are in Canada, if you change the navigation screen to display movies or TV shows while you are driving, and you get pulled over, they can give you a hefty fine as as you are in violation of the highway traffic act! (Not to mention that it could be very distracting for you as the driver!)

As far as I know, the navigation screen should display movies while you are parked but will blank the screen (audio should still play through the speakers) once you go faster than 5 km/h.

3. Not sure about the LED lights on the rear license plate. Again, I assume you want to change them for looks?
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 10:49 PM   #5
yyzx6
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

No my fog lights are still good as new. I just want to put a pair of 3500K bulbs there and see how it looks on the white X6.

I had the NavTv kit on my e60 before and luckily I didn't got pull over by a cop. That 8.8" screens works well for the back seat passengers (at least better than nothing).

I want to put a pair of white LED bulbs on the rear license light to make it looks just like those Lexus and the new e90 and e92.
      07-27-2008, 11:54 PM   #6
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 - Alpine White

Quote:
I want to put a pair of white LED bulbs on the rear license light to make it looks just like those Lexus and the new e90 and e92.
Polarg "SuperWhite" Bulbs in factory sizes from AutoCity at First Markham Place will give you that EXACT look.

The first time I saw the Lexus' with that look, I thought they had the Polarg bulbs in.

- KJ
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 02:01 AM   #7
yyzx6
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
Polarg "SuperWhite" Bulbs in factory sizes from AutoCity at First Markham Place will give you that EXACT look.

The first time I saw the Lexus' with that look, I thought they had the Polarg bulbs in.

- KJ

But they are "bulbs". I want to get some LED without error. I used to have some LED on my e60 but I need to install some resistors in order to trick monitoring system. Just wondering if anyone can find some that has the resistors built in already.
      07-28-2008, 10:57 AM   #8
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
No my fog lights are still good as new. I just want to put a pair of 3500K bulbs there and see how it looks on the white X6.

I had the NavTv kit on my e60 before and luckily I didn't got pull over by a cop. That 8.8" screens works well for the back seat passengers (at least better than nothing).

Thought you might want to do something like that. Let us know how it turns out

My wife's car has the 8.8" iDrive screen in her car and I find it too small when viewed from the back seat. Consider buying portable DVD players. I think you can get an 8" portable DVD player from costco for around $200. Should be cheaper and far less work than messing with the iDrive screen/controller!

If you do change the light bulbs with LEDs, again, post some before and after pictures for us
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0