XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-27-2020, 03:30 PM   #1
roberto_E70
Registered
Rep
Drives: E70

Cylinder number for injector adaption

Need some help with the cylinder ordering for the smooth running controller on my e70 n57 40d. Diagnostic tool suggested that cylinders 3 and 5 are outside the range and should be replaced. I took the covers off and sure enough, the 3rd cylinder counting from the radiator was clearly damaged with excessive oil and 'rocks' of carbon. I have therefore assumed that the order is 1 to 6 starting from the radiator and have replaced 3 and 5 (glad it wasn't cylinder 6 as it's impossible to get a slide hammer in).
Went to code the new injectors with ista and the 2 I have removed don't match the cylinder positions. They match cylinders 1 and 6 and not 3 and 5.
I've checked the codes on all the other inejctors and they are all in the list, but not in the right order. What is the correct order ? I can't see a pattern ?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 01:45 AM   #2
roberto_E70
Registered
Rep

Hopefully the picture won't make a confusing situation even more confusing....

Photo of Ista and the stored injector codes alongside a depiction of the actual codes that I read off the injectors and their position. Second column matches the injector codes to the ista screen. 1 does not equal 1

All the codes are there, but in a very odd order.

( I replaced 3 and 5 and am struggling to decide which cylinder to modify in ista as the codes on the injectors do not match those stored in the DDE)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 12:50 PM   #3
roberto_E70
Registered
Rep

For info. I started the engine, disconnected the injector nearest the radiator and picked up a cylinder 1 fault.
I therefore assumed numbering from 1 to 6 starting at the radiator end.
I re-coded the inejctors as per my initial diagram and the smooth running controller has centred back around zero. It appears that my injectors were not associated with the right cylinder and have been like that for a long time. Maybe useful info for someone..
Appreciate 0