XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-17-2022, 12:51 PM   #1
SapphireXAE
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i Cabrio, Estoril Blue

Are the E70s really that bad?!?

Hi everyone, looooong time since I posted here. I've owned many BMWs and two X5s (both were E53). My sister several years ago bought an E70 as a CPO vehicle from BMW. It was a very well equipped 3.0si. It was often having some kind of issue and was in the shop quite a bit. I am now in the market for another X5. I was going to stick with another E53, but I do like the look of the E70 and some of the updates / improvements over the E53. I have researched like crazy and the reviews are SO mixed! So, I'd like to hear from actual owner enthusiasts. I've owned several BMWs with the in-line 3.0 and never had issues, so to speak. I'd be specifically looking at the 3.0 as my fiancé is dead set against any of the eight cylinders (I tried, believe me. lol).

We know any older, used vehicle will need the occasional repair and of course regular maintenance. Would a pre-LCI 3.0si be a reliable enough vehicle, provided maintenance was kept up with and it had lower mileage. Or, are they finicky, glitchy little monsters?

Thank you so much everyone! I really appreciate the assistance.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 03:45 AM   #2
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M, 2012 X5, 2018 M2

They are not bad at all if you respect them. Expensive to maintain properly, yes.
Appreciate 1
Doctor///M1792.00
      08-18-2022, 04:53 AM   #3
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Like SlowX6M said, you have to respect them. They are complex cars so beating on them like a cheap old Camary will nuke your wallet in short order. Change their fluids & filters, don't murder them in stop and go traffic/sitting idling in the heat and you can get 200k+ miles out of them, even in the infamous 50i (I am at 181K miles myself).

With all that being said, for any older vehicle, I recommend you learn how to do the basic maintenance yourself or at the very least purchase a very good scanner such as foxwell that can read BMW specific codes. Even if you don't work on cars, knowing the exact codes when something goes wrong, a quick google search on what it means and how to fix, then arm yourself with this knowledge before taking it in will prevent you from being taking advantage of at shops.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 12:32 PM   #4
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowX6M View Post
They are not bad at all if you respect them. Expensive to maintain properly, yes.
Would agree with this. Get up to speed on service history and ensure key maintenance items were addressed based on mileage. Takes a pretty penny each year to ensure all maintenance is covered, but when you do it's a fantastic car to drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 04:17 PM   #5
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M, 2012 X5, 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor///M View Post
Would agree with this. Get up to speed on service history and ensure key maintenance items were addressed based on mileage. Takes a pretty penny each year to ensure all maintenance is covered, but when you do it's a fantastic car to drive.
One of the best.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 10:52 PM   #6
Attacking Mid
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46, e53, e83, e70

Were either of your E53's 3.0L M54's? Doggiest BMW I've ever driven (still own it). I also have an E83 3.0 N52. It's a nice vehicle, but I imagine that engine in the bigger, heavier E70 chassis will be a dog just like the E53/M54.

That said, since I own both, I enjoy my E70 35d much more on the highway. It drives so nice, has ample power, and is more comfortable. I had to do some fairly serious four-wheeling in my E53 last season elk hunting, and I realized how much more capable it was vs. the E70. I'd have never made it up there in my E70 with its much lower ground clearance. Of course, if I intended to do that sort of thing regularly, an E53 is not the right choice either - perhaps a Jeep or other true 4WD vehicle. I think I raised some eyebrows parking my E53 at the upper trailhead alongside only MUCH more serious 4WD trucks and Jeeps. The E70 is relatively more car than truck vs. the E53.

AM.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 09:11 PM   #7
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

My only issues have really been engine and transmission maintenance, so if you know the engines you are looking at I would say no issues that you would really have that are out of the ordinary with an E70. Maybe silly seat stuff, comfort access or auto tailgate as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 12:11 AM   #8
Dekero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 35I

I absolutely love my 2013 X5 35i. Wouldn't give it up for the world... That said I've owned it for roughly 2 1/2 years and just rolled 203k miles and will easily make it to 300k... However... Be advised it would take me Multiple pages to list the amount of maintenance repairs and parts I've replaced to get here.... Including

Diff/TC/trans fluid swaps (X 3)
Every Gasket on the car other than the head gasket
Water pump/thermostat
Motor mount
TC mount
Every cooling hose, yes all of them
Valve cover, plugs, coils (X 2)
Ac compressor
HPFP
Starter
Boost solenoid
Purge valve and all related hoses
Charge and boost pipe upgrades
Footwell module
Battery
Belt, Tensioner both Idler pulleys
Full front suspension
Front/rear brakes and rotors (X 2)
Expansion tank
All 6 Injectors
Throttle body
Both Vanos solenoids
Both Camshaft sensors
Fuel pressure sensor
MAF
MAP
TMAP
Turbo diverter valve

And I'm surely missing something...

Honest info, I drive mine 7k+ miles a month
So the abuse is immense, so I change the oil monthly.

All that said....

Owning a BMW E70 is like being in an abusive relationship

I keep getting my ass kicked

But the sex is amazing and I keep coming back for more....

Last edited by Dekero; 08-25-2022 at 12:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 01:55 PM   #9
Chrisnytx
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekero View Post
I absolutely love my 2013 X5 35i. Wouldn't give it up for the world... That said I've owned it for roughly 2 1/2 years and just rolled 203k miles and will easily make it to 300k... However... Be advised it would take me Multiple pages to list the amount of maintenance repairs and parts I've replaced to get here.... Including

Diff/TC/trans fluid swaps (X 3)
Every Gasket on the car other than the head gasket
Water pump/thermostat
Motor mount
TC mount
Every cooling hose, yes all of them
Valve cover, plugs, coils (X 2)
Ac compressor
HPFP
Starter
Boost solenoid
Purge valve and all related hoses
Charge and boost pipe upgrades
Footwell module
Battery
Belt, Tensioner both Idler pulleys
Full front suspension
Front/rear brakes and rotors (X 2)
Expansion tank
All 6 Injectors
Throttle body
Both Vanos solenoids
Both Camshaft sensors
Fuel pressure sensor
MAF
MAP
TMAP
Turbo diverter valve

And I'm surely missing something...

Honest info, I drive mine 7k+ miles a month
So the abuse is immense, so I change the oil monthly.

All that said....

Owning a BMW E70 is like being in an abusive relationship

I keep getting my ass kicked

But the sex is amazing and I keep coming back for more....
What maintenance schedule do you follow? I am pretty new to BMWs and I am trying to figure out what maintenance routine I should stick to. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 04:36 AM   #10
Dekero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 35I

I change my oil on the first Saturday of EVERY month which ends up being between 5-7k miles everytime.

I do the transmiy, transfer case, and diferentials every 60k miles and have done them 3 times as of now

Beyond that I don't hold to a schedule. I've done all the major gaskets, the valve cover gasket twice now...

And I just finished replacing the turbo literally yesterday... OMG that was a bytch...

I educated myself on these forums about the common fail items and roughly what to expect and at what milages... Then tried to be ahead of the failures by doing preventive maintenance.

Most important thing you can do for a 35i is by far the oil filter housing gasket, serpentine belt, tensioner and idler pulleys, along with a good thorough degreasing of the front of the engine before finally adding a front crank seal guard. These engines love to ingest a shredded belt, and you'll be stuck with a destroyed motor.

Like I said though... Now I'm at 209k miles, I will make 300+ and I love this truck!
Appreciate 0