XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-03-2019, 12:14 PM   #45
pumbadapig
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X5 3.0

Wow this looks dope. Will it work on E70?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 01:55 PM   #46
Mozdaman
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

My wrap up

I thought I would post my resolution with the new Android unit. The Chinese company ended up sending me a replacement "box" for my unit. I took the old one out, put the new one in and......viola.....everything works !!! ......Well, almost everything. I had to go into the settings on the Android side and adjust the aspect ratio under BMW model setting. I played around with the different resolution settings and finally picked "CIC_big(8.8,10.25)....there were others that had a closer fit description but, this one looked the best and it allowed all of my cameras to be seen. ......My "old car view" looked much better.....at least everything fit on the screen.

I will have to admit, I was very hesitant to do this conversion because I added an amp and a subwoofer to the old system and I absolutely loved the sound quality that I was getting out of it. I had heard a lot of bad stories that changing to the Android unit would kill the sound quality. Well, my sound quality is the exactly the way it was before and I didn't have to run the Aux. cable to do it. I did have to finally run the Aux. cable to get any sound at all out of the (Apps)/Android side.....this didn't bother me as sound quality from that side was not important to me......it is only for Apps....YouTube, navigation ....anything playstore related.....how does that sound from an Apple guy....LOL

Now, I have one final issues that I am working out....For some reason, the brightness on my "original car view" side is very dim. It looks like it is only about half way and it makes it very hard to see it in the day time. I can navigate to my settings to my iDrive, go to Control display, click on the brightness, turn it up and nothing happens. Nothing I do works to make the (little red bars) stay all the way to the right (brighter). I can go into my head-up display and adjust everything perfectly. I am stumped.

Does anybody out there have any ideas or have any related experience on the brightness adjustment?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 01:57 PM   #47
Mozdaman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbadapig View Post
Wow this looks dope. Will it work on E70?
Mine is an E70
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 06:06 AM   #48
RitaClark
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 7S RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_j View Post
Anyone have any experience with 4x4 Shop Canada's android head unit? Don't confuse it with Avin. That's a different manufacturer. If anyone is in the GTA area, can you go to the shop to listen to the aux input sound quality?

https://4x4shop.ca/product/oem-fit-r...c-system-copy/
None of them are makers... they just made their very own words for that unit and sell them! We as a whole know where the maker is found

I have that unit legitimately from China for one year.! I am content with it!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 08:49 AM   #49
Mozdaman
Rep

Launch Screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDMZ4M View Post
Had my 8.1 10.25 screen installed a month ago from 4x4shop but not by them, I had someone where I am install it. But, for those more DIY than I, it is pretty simple to install. I actually had to help the installers as they got confused when installing it - I'd watched the installation videos, they hadn't. It's a good unit, I love the fact that it's an Android tablet, I've gotten rid of their horrible launch screen and replaced with my own. There are some differences in quality, but I'm sure it's the same manufacturer building these out of China and just being rebranded by Avin, Aliexpress, 4x4shp, etc.
Hi......Did your unit come with some different preloaded launch screens or did you download some ? If you downloaded them, please share where you looked.

Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 09:41 AM   #50
sunny_j
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozdaman View Post
I thought I would post my resolution with the new Android unit. The Chinese company ended up sending me a replacement "box" for my unit. I took the old one out, put the new one in and......viola.....everything works !!! ......Well, almost everything. I had to go into the settings on the Android side and adjust the aspect ratio under BMW model setting. I played around with the different resolution settings and finally picked "CIC_big(8.8,10.25)....there were others that had a closer fit description but, this one looked the best and it allowed all of my cameras to be seen. ......My "old car view" looked much better.....at least everything fit on the screen.

I will have to admit, I was very hesitant to do this conversion because I added an amp and a subwoofer to the old system and I absolutely loved the sound quality that I was getting out of it. I had heard a lot of bad stories that changing to the Android unit would kill the sound quality. Well, my sound quality is the exactly the way it was before and I didn't have to run the Aux. cable to do it. I did have to finally run the Aux. cable to get any sound at all out of the (Apps)/Android side.....this didn't bother me as sound quality from that side was not important to me......it is only for Apps....YouTube, navigation ....anything playstore related.....how does that sound from an Apple guy....LOL

Now, I have one final issues that I am working out....For some reason, the brightness on my "original car view" side is very dim. It looks like it is only about half way and it makes it very hard to see it in the day time. I can navigate to my settings to my iDrive, go to Control display, click on the brightness, turn it up and nothing happens. Nothing I do works to make the (little red bars) stay all the way to the right (brighter). I can go into my head-up display and adjust everything perfectly. I am stumped.

Does anybody out there have any ideas or have any related experience on the brightness adjustment?
You have to adjust screen brightness from the Android side
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 12:45 PM   #51
sunny_j
Lieutenant
Rep

Last year I installed the android head unit and I finally got around to making a walk through video.

Enjoy and please like & subscribe

Build Thread
https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1529213
Appreciate 3
RL18273.50
Nyc Dito112.50
JDAURIA720.50
      04-13-2020, 04:52 PM   #52
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Last year I installed the android head unit and I finally got around to making a walk through video.

I need to get one of these for my x5d. I think after I complete my custom audio setup this will be next on my list of upgrade to complete my system. Anyways Thankyou for the walkthrough! All your videos are invaluable.

Any chance you'd be able to walkthrough the Apple CarPlay side of the headunit? That is most what I'm interested in.
      04-16-2020, 01:40 PM   #53
sunny_j
Lieutenant
Rep

Unfortunately I am an Android guy. I managed to get android auto working for free but that won't help you

Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 12:25 PM   #54
Konradical6
Private
Rep
Drives: E70

Can someone help me with how to route the harness to the screen? Is it behind the metal part on the left or the plastic in the right? I tried begin plastic on the right but then the cables come out the front over the radio. When I try behind the metal part there doesn't seem to be space as the cavity is a plastic bucket like piece for the radio that goes all the way to the top. It's unclear in the videos can someone help?

Like the guy does it in this video at 15:10 where he goes just behind the first black plastic is this correct?
Attached Images

Last edited by Konradical6; 07-23-2020 at 03:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 11:54 PM   #55
ayaxe60
Rep
Drives: BMW E60'05 525i E70'12 X5 35i

Quote:

Thanks for this... Looking really to jump on this as soon as possible it just transforms the interior, your cluster also takes it to the next level.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 12:49 AM   #56
Konradical6
Private
Rep
Drives: E70

So the unit has been working flawlessly until today I started the car and noticed the boot logo didn't come up for android just said no signal on android side, oem side was working fine. Couldn't do anything on android side even after shutting off the car and back on. It only seemed to comeback to normal after I shut off the car for over a minute and restarted it, anyone have this happen?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 08:54 AM   #57
LesAshmore
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2012 X3 F25

4X4 Shop Canada 10.25 Screen

About 12 months ago I purchased a 8.8 Android screen for my X3 and I have to say I was happy with it, It was supposed to be the best and fastest available, Having seen the 10.25 screens I decided I had to have one, The problem was my car is a RHD and I couldn't find anyone that sold a 10.25 for a RHD X3.
Recently I managed to source a RHD Mounting Frame so I purchased a 10.25 screen from 4x4 Shop Canada.
I have to say that after installing and firing up for the first time I could not believe the difference, This one is much much faster much clearer and easier to use, I have seen comment on here saying they are all Chinese and therefore all the same, I am extremely glad I took no notice as there is a VAST amount of difference I know as I have had one of each and I know which I am happiest with.
The service was excelent

The Wifes 2007 325i Convertible Hard Top (electric roof) Full Package
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 09:09 AM   #58
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

^Thanks for sharing, my experience with 4x4 was the same. I've managed to balance out a way to enjoy the best the monitor has to offer me, but it took a lot of seat hours playing with it.

The biggest negative is that I experience music skipping in wireless CarPlay...so until I find a fix, I use UAPP and a USB DAC for my music library, Waze for NAV, and OEM BT for calls. What config is everyone else using?
      04-22-2021, 10:26 AM   #59
LesAshmore
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

I have transferred a lot of MP3's to a memory card and play that or I use spotify as I have a SIM card in unit with massive data allowance, I have no problem with the music in Carplay mode.
But having said that I am still playing with it.

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 10:36 AM   #60
Nyc Dito
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by argento View Post
^Thanks for sharing, my experience with 4x4 was the same. I've managed to balance out a way to enjoy the best the monitor has to offer me, but it took a lot of seat hours playing with it.

The biggest negative is that I experience music skipping in wireless CarPlay...so until I find a fix, I use UAPP and a USB DAC for my music library, Waze for NAV, and OEM BT for calls. What config is everyone else using?
I use OEM BT for calls, Waze for Nav and Apple music app for the tunes. The only issue I have is Apple Music gives a disclaimer about the battery at startup, every time. Ive tried various settings and it still pops up. No big deal. I love my screen.
      04-22-2021, 01:11 PM   #61
LesAshmore
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc Dito View Post
I use OEM BT for calls, Waze for Nav and Apple music app for the tunes. The only issue I have is Apple Music gives a disclaimer about the battery at startup, every time. Ive tried various settings and it still pops up. No big deal. I love my screen.
I found on the other unit I had that the Android BT was best for calls so left this one same when I used OEM I kept getting speech like head was in a bucket of water, I don't use Apple music so cannot comment on that
I use Waze for Nav with the onboard sim it is brilliant, when I am on Carplay it is a bit different But love it either way.
Attached Images

Last edited by LesAshmore; 04-24-2021 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 07:14 PM   #62
conandrum
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 E71

Cyrus Soundkey audio quality

Quote:
I returned the Dragonfly Red DAC. Turns out at high volumes it produces a hiss which is almost louder than the music. At low volumes it isn't an issue... I also got around to installing the soundkey DAC and wow. At high volume there's no hiss or anything. And it's only $100 compared to the Dragonfly

Hi Sunny. I also have the Cyrus Soundkey.
I noticed that not all audio is routed through the DAC though.
e.g. phone calls and AV-IN/DTV audio still goes out as analogue via the harness (also available via the harness Audio-Out 3.5mm socket).

Are you experiencing the same issue, with your DAC?

If anyone else has this problem with the DAC they are using, let me know.
If someone has managed to overcome this problem, let me know.
Your responce is of great value to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 08:22 PM   #63
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

I use a AQ Dragonfly Cobalt and have also used the AQ Dragonfly Red. Amazing sound with both, but only when coupled with USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP). I've also acheived OEM and Android volume balance so I don't worry about drastic volume deltas when I switch from Android Mode to OEM mode. I've found that when I'm running the DAC none of the other audio features of the monitor work through the DAC/usb output.

HOWEVER, remembering these are effectively beta systems: I have, on rare occasions, proven this wrong...IE: the android default player sent audio through the DAC. I cannot reproduce on command, nor can I figure out how it happened those couple times.

I run with my phone connected to OEM BT and I can be on the Android side and take OEM calls just fine. UAPP mutes the music, but doesn't pause it...otherwise it all works well. Using the monitor BT results in poor call clarity in my system.

I also have both the Aux and USB output cabless of the monitor routed to my center console. I can (but rarely do), disconnect the DAC and plug in the Monitor Aux line and get audio for a specific App that way. Obviously a hassle.

It seems I'm constantly learning with this system...

Name:  IMG_2364_resized.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  269.2 KB

Last edited by argento; 01-25-2024 at 08:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
jbash87249.50
      01-26-2024, 04:48 PM   #64
sunny_j
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by conandrum View Post
Hi Sunny. I also have the Cyrus Soundkey.
I noticed that not all audio is routed through the DAC though.
e.g. phone calls and AV-IN/DTV audio still goes out as analogue via the harness (also available via the harness Audio-Out 3.5mm socket).

Are you experiencing the same issue, with your DAC?

If anyone else has this problem with the DAC they are using, let me know.
If someone has managed to overcome this problem, let me know.
Your responce is of great value to me.
For my setup all audio is routed through the DAC for the apps I use. I still use the idrive side for bluetooth and I don't use AV-IN or DTV.

Build Thread
Appreciate 0